2010 STI SE 20g-xt CO

LOL are you f..ing serious?

If I was on pump 91 then I would agree with the stock tmic vs xxyz. But as you know e85 burns much cooler. The GR TMIC flows pretty well. Its the cooling that becomes challenging; and with e85 it helps.
Just giving you sheet, Jared.
I will not argue with you regarding FMIC vs TMIC on the dyno. Sorry about my assumptions. I will state clearly that in IMO, a tmic will spool earlier than a fmic in DD!

I forgot for a moment that you had less heat to worry about living in CO. :D

I'd still recommend looking into how much the GR TMIC can flow. The fact that your tuner predicts a power drop would make me think that there would be a flow restriction.

RcmaSTI

Here's the thang. I am in ANAHEIM for a convention and drove over to Garage Tuning; makers of a killer twin scroll rotated set up!. Their tuner, and builder Kelly, stated that the CAI intake location (front right lower fender wall) creates problems on the GR. I get 125+ farenheit readings. Are u getting high temps in IAT?
I might have a prob there....

RcmaSTI

My ambiet temps usually read 85 in the summer. I hear that a 10 degree swing is the norm. But not 30+!

RcmaSTI

Update. So I took my GR in for a FMIC vs TMIC comparo. Did a pull with current configuration (FMIC) then connected stock GR TMIC. The TMIC gained about 300rpm in spool but I lost top end in excess of 30whp and 10wtq. I did not feel that was an advantage over my FMIC setup.
But i discussed the high IAT readings with my Tuner and he agreed they were rather high (125-135 on the dyno with ambient of 85).
We pulled the CAI tube and reversed it out over the engine bay in a 10 o'clock position----facing the dyno fan.
IAT's dropped to ambient and we did a pull...
A gain of 40whp/25wtq and 700rpm in spool! Now, i know I cannot be running around with an exposed CAI and hood open but there has to be a medium. The heat is coming from the fans, the IC piping that routes into the fender well next to my CAI, and a lack of air flowing in the fender well. There is no direct shot of air in the fender well area. So my next plan of action is to:
-Heat wrap CAI and IC piping in the fender well area out to engine bay
-Remove fog lights; run some duct straight from fog housing to fender well area on passenger side. Keep the duct aimed slightly away from air filter to avoid elements. Also apply a screen inside the duct near the fog housing to catch larger debris.
-install a small aluminum shield between engine and fender to reflect heat back intot he engine bay area or dissipate with airflow from hood scoop.

I ordered a crawford block off plate; wonder if it will help or not.

I'll update when possible

Last edited:

RcmaSTI

Yep. Geoff at Cygnus sells the stuff. I might try but I do have some heat wrap lying around. May use that first.
I removed the passenger fog light and installed a screen filter inside the fog housing. Considering how close the air filter is to my fog light, I'm going to try running w/out duct.
Looks like I'll be cleaning the filter element a bit more often being so exposed. I'm gonna cut a piece of plastic that I can use to cover the fog light, with tape or something, when it's time for a wash or during heavy rain.

RcmaSTI

Good point. I dont need the good stuff since the cai and IC piping is cool enough to touch. Maybe I'll check with autozone tonight.

RcmaSTI

View attachment 1293
Wow that gain in spool is a lot more than I though

Look at the dyno sheet I sent you regarding my Dom 3. I am comparing the spool up form that chart, not the 20gxt. I'll attach.

I'm now reading within 5*f of ambient (dash temp)- on the highway......

Maybe its psychological but it feels like it pulls stronger. I'm spooling hard at 4200, peaking by 5.2k on my way to 7000. At least that's what it feels like!
Pretty reasonable powerband but this is highway driving not city.
Gonna delete the other fog and add the hood scoop delete when it arrives and be done. Heat soak sux.

RcmaSTI

Update. So I took my GR in for a FMIC vs TMIC comparo. Did a pull with current configuration (FMIC) then connected stock GR TMIC. The TMIC gained about 300rpm in spool but I lost top end in excess of 30whp and 10wtq. I did not feel that was an advantage over my FMIC setup.
Actually the spool up was only 100rpm difference....:tard:

I have two more projects and then its more time with my S1000rr ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 68

RcmaSTI

Been a pleasure folks. My Christmas present arrived and a friend bought my STI. Hey Jared, still resarching at buying or opening a shop; stay in touch!

Attachments

• IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited by a moderator:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Wow what a Christmas present. :thumbsup:

RcmaSTI

thx. i truly enjoyed, and learned, so much from modding my STI. Iim on Nagtroc but i'll tell ya there just isn't much information like you find here or iwsti. of course there are not as many GT-Rs running around either.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Well your welcome anytime here. :)