A/C not working.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I thought about that, but was under the impression that those are shit. Have you guys tried them before?

I have not. I looked into it when the wife's ride was acting up but it had another a/c issue so I took in.
Might check out some you tube videos. It seemed pretty straight forward from what I recall.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Coworkers Rex had issues. No cold air, replaced the compressor and then basically everything else. Worked for a bit and now now cold air, again.
Not that that was really relevant .

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
If low on freon will make system goofy.

I've been doing some reading and it appears that there are low pressure and high pressure switches that doesn't allow the compressor clutch to engage the pulley wheel if the pressure isn't within the tolerances. During my break in an hour, I'm going to start the car and have someone press the A/C button while I watch the compressor clutch. My guess is that it will not move/engage. If this is true, I will push the pin down under the cap in A/C line and see if there is any pressure at all. I'm guessing there is, but it is just a little low. I'll probably end up getting a recharge bottle with the included gauge at the parts store during lunch or after work.

A/C experts seem to be saying that the system, with no problems, is still likely to lose approximately 2 psi/year and even
if it's not malfunctioning, should still be checked and recharged every 4 years at a minimum.

Seeing how I've had the car for almost 5 years and never had the system serviced, I'm hoping this will be the culprit.

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Bingo!

Ours did the same thing. Filled it up and now super cold.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
During my break in an hour, I'm going to start the car and have someone press the A/C button while I watch the compressor clutch. My guess is that it will not move/engage. If this is true, I will push the pin down under the cap in A/C line and see if there is any pressure at all.

The clutch DOES kick out and engage the compressor. I pulled the cap on the low side freon line and pressed the pin. There is a substantial amount of pressure. I ran the car at idle for a few minutes with the A/C on. It seemed to produce cold air AND the metal freon plumbing was frigid to the touch.

THEN a couple hours later I went to lunch and I swear it's not producing cold air again. WTF?! :banghead:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Still low on freon.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
^ That's what I'm assuming, so I'm still going to pick up a recharge kit on the way home.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I just got home with the recharge bottle. The gauge on it has an overlay which you align to the current ambient temperature before adding refrigerant so you are in the correct pressure range.

So here's the question. Should I wait for the engine to cool down? Though it's cool outside, I just got done driving about 16 miles so the engine bay is still hot. This could screw up the reading, right?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We do ours hot, but we have special tools.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
yterusu7.jpg

What the @$&#...?! 110 psi?!?!

Oooookay, I'm gonna let it cool down A LOT more.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Yes it does. It just doesn't blow cold air. It's barely chilled and doesn't defog the windshield.

Alter3go

So from the inside the car on you get nothing what's the inside of them vents looking like? Before that is it all the vents or just one? Also when u block vents individually what happens ?