Before and After...

ICY STi

I completely understand Gino, and it does make sense.

Two both of you (Gino and George) from what you see on the datalog would it be worth it to do an e-tune for now. I have more parts on the way to include a wide band AFR gauge. Im planning on installing the simple things that I can then loading it on a flat bed and taking it down to the local tuner...He charges 400 a tune (idk about retunes) and 100 an hour for labor which kinda seems a little steep. Hes highly recommended around here and i have talked to him myself.

What is your personal opinion?

Gino im not as stupid as I was in Fayette-nam...haha just logging is new ground being covered right now and im not exactly sure what to look for.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Im not saying its not a real tune. Any tune, good or bad is a "real" tune but if you aint there with the car in your hands, it aint gonna be a real accurate tune. Again, with all this being said, find a tuner and shop you trust near you and have it done right. Its better to have a shop or local tuner that you may contact for assistance at the drop of a hat then having to wait for people to reply on a forum or to wait for you "e tuner" to reply to an email with one update to a half tuned map.

Lastly. Im a real kinda "go by the feel" kind of guy. If I cant feel the car, I cant tune the car. Data logs only tell half of the story. Any great tuner will say the same. If they dont, their full of shit.

Well then we can agree to disagree. Log tuning is way more precise than the sledge hammer method. It captures moments in time and driving conditions. Maybe on the dyno, seat of the pants tuning has its merits but on the street nothing beats a good log. Anyway there's no point in arguing this any further because there will never be a clear winner. Im done here.

OP... im offering my services for free as a member of the site. You should take advantage of that and if you dont like what I am doing then you can always go the protune route. If you have any doubts about my methods they are all outlined in my tuning guide which you have access to.

George.

ICY STi

Yeah I'm sgt Erickson I have the blue STi that the previous owner had an access port married to and kept in limp mode.

ICY STi

I was hit w no notice pcs orders. I was out of Bragg in 2 months and most of my time was spent fighting with the MSG asshole at reassignment at the ssc.

ICY STi

Not much is going on though. Finally getting my build underway. Still cherry compared to everyone else's on here but she's moving along nicely now.

Z1107

Guys c'mon, take it easy. You both are highly reputable subie Jedi masters here no need for anyone getting angry.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Guys c'mon, take it easy. You both are highly reputable subie Jedi masters here no need for anyone getting angry.

I agree 100%.

ICY STi

Rek and holy I apologize for getting the two of you testy with each other.

Holy I don't personally know you but your an admin on this site because you obviously know what you are doing and you do it very well.

Rek it sucks that I'm not in town anymore to be able to stop by and have you hook me up with one hell of a tune and pass some cash at a reasonable price for such a service.

I am in no way discrediting either of you saying that what you are putting out is wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion which you both are very set on. Which is great and that makes you the SME for noobs like me to come ask retarded questions to.

A protune is always the best way to go i will agree with both of you on. But I don't see paying $400 per tune reasonable. So I was simply asking if doing an e tune would hold over till I got the rest of my parts and did a full install and protune by the local tuner.

I apologize again for getting you too pissed at one another on this topic.

Z1107

Icy you don't need to apologize, you have a valid question. It's just that we have multiple as I said before "Jedi masters" at tuning here who are very passionate about their expertise and sometimes a little arguing happens, rarely though. Sometimes the passion we have for things drives our emotions as well.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
A protune is always the best way to go i will agree with both of you on. But I don't see paying $400 per tune reasonable.

If the shops around me are any indication it's usually ~$400 for the first tune then like $150 for re-tunes.

As for e-tunes, I can imagine them being almost as good as a dyno tune, and maybe better for driveability. Do most dyno pro-tunes focus much on partial throttle? Or how about quick throttle changes (i cant think of the technical term)?

As for in-person street tunes vs e-tunes, well. If i were to do it i'd probably want to be in the car to feel the effects, stutters, etc... Im honestly not sure how well things like that show up in a log, vs seat of the pants. You may not gain much from in-person vs skilled e-tuner, but you certainly dont lose anything!

ICY STi

OK Grinder thanks for sheading some light on the price. Granted the only place that I dealt with prior to coming up here was SOMS and Mat was charging 325 for pro tune. So thats what I had to go off of. Thanks for the input on it though grinder.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Rek and holy I apologize for getting the two of you testy with each other.

Holy I don't personally know you but your an admin on this site because you obviously know what you are doing and you do it very well.

Rek it sucks that I'm not in town anymore to be able to stop by and have you hook me up with one hell of a tune and pass some cash at a reasonable price for such a service.

I am in no way discrediting either of you saying that what you are putting out is wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion which you both are very set on. Which is great and that makes you the SME for noobs like me to come ask retarded questions to.

A protune is always the best way to go i will agree with both of you on. But I don't see paying $400 per tune reasonable. So I was simply asking if doing an e tune would hold over till I got the rest of my parts and did a full install and protune by the local tuner.

I apologize again for getting you too pissed at one another on this topic.

Your not at fault and are in now way obligated to apologize. Thank you for your support.