BOOST THIS! This can't be right? Can it?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
How does this work? :tard:

attachment.php

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Twin charging. Blower for the low end and the turbo for upper.
I have seen it before. I could imagine the nightmare for tuning.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Twin charging. Blower for the low end and the turbo for upper.
I have seen it before. I could imagine the nightmare for tuning.

How much HP does this thing have you think?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What does this cost to do?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
When I messed with blowers, a complete roots blower, like a magna charger, was around 5500. Figure a turbo around 2k then add all of the junk to go with it and then add the built block.
15k on the light side.
Waste of money, as Fuji said.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So is it just a means of show to the uneducated guy? (Me)

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Theory is all boost and no drawbacks... not necessarily big power.
Not necessarily show but if your really worried about lag, dump the snail for a screw and be done.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
P-47 Thunderbolts in WWII had a pretty sweet twin-charging setup that included a water+alky injection
for the high boost WEP "War Emergency Power" range. If I remember correctly, the last 'double wasp' motor
they built for the Thunderbolt made more than 2,500 horsepower.

If I had won the Powerball lotto, the Batmobile would be getting twin-charged. LOLOL Hell, if money is no
object, why not?! :tard:

EDIT: Here's an interesting link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_wasp

liltripg17

This is pretty common on some Semi trucks....alot of detroit diesels use twin or compound charging. Its a cool theory for a car but as everyone says...a true waste of money. Unless you are just building the car for a "cool" factor it doesnt make sense to do it. Alot of things to go wrong...alot of money..and a tuning nightmare.....its hard to tune a B.O.V thats been vented to atmosphere on our cars...could you imagine this?? Its cool...but thats where it ends....i actually helped build a compound charged vette...cool...but useless in my mind.

liltripg17

And if ya dont want turbo lag on a race only vehicle...there are better solutions...small ball bearing turbos...and anti lag kits. lol. Just not good for anything other then race only

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
^ From what I understand. VGT's haven't been widely used on gasoline motors because currently, VGT's can't handle gasoline EGT's without drastically shortening the operating life span of the unit. Hence why they are used primarily on diesels. Almost all the water/meth kits marketed towards turbo diesels throw in "run cooler EGT'S and extend the life of your turbo!".

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Technology is better and thus you are seeing them more on gas engines. Porsche I believe is using them on the 911.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I didn't mean the technology for VGTs on gasoline engines is dead. I mean it's just lagging behind a bit.
Metallurgy is always rapidly advancing, but along with that technology comes the cost. Of course a company
like Porsche is going to be using them. That's awesome, but I think we can all agree that it's going to be
quite some time before a) we see VGT's on mass produced turbo cars b) anything that we can reasonably
afford to purchase.

I sure as shit can't afford a 911.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Never implied they were. Just stating that they are being used successfully.
A 911 is a reach for most people but a lot of the tech that is on average cars comes from the higher end market.
You can always buy a used one!

On topic relating to this thread, it may be more cost effective and less of a headache to use the vgt rather than messing with two types of forced induction.