Car still not running right

icudruln

So, I'm new to logging so bear with me. I finally got Romraider going right, and looked at a few things. First, Cylinder Roughness was off. Showed a max value of 7, all at idle. Nothing on any other cylinder but cylinder one.

The car threw a Cylinder One misfire a week ago, and I found the issue to be a small fuel leak off the FPR. This morning, it threw P0171 Bank 1 System too lean and (I believe) P0451... I forget the exact name, but it was something along the lines of Fuel Evap Pressure, so I know it's a fuel issue.

What else should I log to see what's going on? I'm new to this, and have an idea, but I'm sure someone here knows more than me. Is Bank 1 the passenger side of the motor? Help please!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I think Bank 1 is the front O2 sensor.

Log the following.

A/F Correction 1
A/F Learned 1
A/F Sensor 1 & 2
Engine Load
Engine Speed
Fuel Injector Pulse Width
Fuel Pump Duty
Injector Duty Cycle
Manifold Relative Pressure
Mass Air Flow Sensor Voltage
Roughness Monitors Cylinder 1,2,3,4
Throttle opening angle.

You did a compression test and checked for leaks right?

icudruln

I'll pull a log and post it as soon as I get off work (9MST). Haven't done the compression check until at least tomorrow when the daily is fixed. This CEL stuff is just getting annoying :(

No loose vacuum lines or anything. No intake side leaks to be found either.

icudruln

FWIW, the other code (P0451) was pending. It is "Evap Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Range/Performance Problem"

Isnt the front o2/AFR sensor located in the header? I could pull it out and check voltage and see if the car runs fine without it in.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The code for evap is not really of concern right now. I would forget that one for now and focus on the Lean code. It is very unlikely that the two are related.

Yes the front O2 sensor is in the header. I don't think disconnecting the O2 sensor is going to be conclusive just yet. Lets see what the logs look like and what your AFR's are doing first.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The best way is to either open up a Google Docs account and load it up and make it public so everyone can see it or just email your logs to tuners@igotasti.com

cobbtunedsti

My Sti threw the same lean code this week and it was a open vacuum line under the Throttle Body.. What's the car doing??

icudruln

My Sti threw the same lean code this week and it was a open vacuum line under the Throttle Body.. What's the car doing??

It runs and idles pretty much the same as stock, so that's what I don't get. I'll check that vacuum line though. I'm off work in an hour to an hour and a half, so I'll keep you guys posted!

icudruln

Alright guys! I'm a TOTAL noob to logging, and wasn't sure if I had to "Save Profile As" while I was logging or not, so I keep saving them :lol: I'm uploading them via Google Docs as I type. Stay tuned within the next 5 minutes, they'll be up!

icudruln

Note: Before reading, please note I am running on E85 (Ethanol), and relate it accordingly to AFR Ratios and Fuel Trims and Tables.

Relative Mods For This:
E85 Tuned
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump - been in the car since before I bought it at 32k miles. Unknown how long its been in the car
Power Enterprise 850cc Side Feed Fuel Injectors - used, had 20k miles on em. Should have about 36k on em now
Stock Fuel Rails
NGK One Step Colder Plugs - Installed around 42k miles
Just replaced rear o2 Sensor
Just replaced TB to TMIC coupler
66,000k miles on the car
Tuned on E85 at 53,000k miles

Here we go! There's a total of 7 logs I have. All are named properly, to make it easier on those who can help. I did various logs, going from low to mid to high RPM ranges. These logs don't show the "Cylinder Roughness" I noticed earlier, except the second one. The highest Cylinder Roughness recorded a total number of 7, all on Cylinder One. I can gladly get an idle log, showing it if needed...just state what I should log as well.

***Note*** The CEL Codes that I had earlier were cleared, and have not come back yet (P0371 and P0451). The codes, as well as the car running poorly, tend to happen in stop and go traffic, at lower RPM's. Nothing goes wrong in the mid RPM range, or in closed loop operation (cruising on the freeway).

If any other logging would help find my issue, PLEASE state what I should log, and any preference of driving conditions (3rd, 4th gear pull, WOT pull, idling).

P0371 Idle With No Cylinder Roughness

P0371 Showing Cylinder Roughness

P0371 Mid RPM Range

P0371 Mid RPM Range 2

P0371 High RPM

P0371 Big Log Probably Most Useful

Last edited:

icudruln

What I've noticed, looking at the logs, is that the Fuel Pump Duty % is always 33.33%, regardless of engine speed. Is that normal?

Sorry I'm asking a bunch of questions. I not only want to figure out what's wrong with my car, but understand what all of these values you can log actually mean, and what's good vs what isn't. Is there somewhere I could learn about this, without someone having to make an enormous thread on here? :)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I can't see the logs. I had to request access. Can you make them public so everyone can see them?

33% sound about right. That's the default value for low level fueling and unless you are really getting on it and pushing the injectors to the edge, that isn't really going to change often. It is reliant on manifold pressure levels and Injector Duty Cycle. When these reach a set point the pump duty will switch modes from low level to mid level and then to high level if needed.

icudruln

Exactly what the table shows. I would just loom through to confirm it isn't messed up from tinkering. :tard:

That's the only number RomRaider is showing (33.33%) for Fuel Duty Cycle %.

I'll mess with Google Docs...that's weird they aren't public. One sec Holy

icudruln

I just changed the Sharing Settings on Google Docs to "Public". My apologies. They should be available to everyone now, Datalog's are in post #14.

I know Datalog's are more useful, but I pulled of the TMIC, since cobbtunedsti had the same issue, and it was a loose vacuum line under the throttle body; I didn't find any loose lines whatsoever.

Things I did notice when I pulled off the TMIC:
1. Small cut (razor blade thin) for the OEM Boost Gauge, just off the BOV. There's some sort of line inside the actual black, rubber hose, which doesn't appear torn. I have a picture if requested.
2. The black metal hose that runs along the TMIC (I have NO idea what its for or called), had what smelled like gas in it (E85 in my case). Is that normal? I have a picture of the stuff on part of this black thing if wanted.

I double checked the Y Pipe and Turbo to Y Pipe connection, as well as the TMIC to TB coupler, and all was good.

Pictures from today:

backoftmic.jpg

ypipeoffabit.jpg

boostgaugetear.jpg

gunkstuff.jpg

Last edited:

cobbtunedsti

The e85 is very strong smelling and is 100% fine.. I made a thread on that when I first got tuned for e85..