HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
:rofl:

I can only see the first one!!!

Unlock the rest please.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The first log does not look good

I need to see the rest of them. It almost looks like you are running E85 on a map made for gasoline.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
What makes you say that?

In the first log both your learned and immediate trims are more than 14% each which means it is a total of 28% lean. Either that or you have a massive leak after the MAF sensor, probably before the turbo.

I will look at the logs now.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yeah.... All the logs are telling me pretty much the same thing. You are running your trims to the very edge.

-First check to see that you are using the appropriate map with the appropriate fuel. When switching from one fuel to another please make sure you are performing a reflash, not a real time flash.

-Second make sure you have a full mix of fuel. If you are using gas then it should be all gas and not a mix of gas and E85.

-Third you should do a boost leak test of the entire intake system. Check manifold and TVG bolts are tightened.

-Forth you should clean your MAF sensor and Air Filter.

-Fifth you should check the headers and exhaust for leak.

Last edited:

icudruln

Yeah.... All the logs are telling me pretty much the same thing. You are running your trims to the very edge.

-First check to see that you are using the appropriate map with the appropriate fuel. When switching from one fuel to another please make sure you are performing a reflash, not a real time flash.

-Second make sure you have a full mix of fuel. If you are using gas then it should be all gas and not a mix of gas and E85.

-Third you should do a boost leak test of the entire intake system. Check manifold and TVG bolts are tightened.

-Forth you should clean your MAF sensor and Air Filter.

-Fifth you should check the headers and exhaust for leak.

Will do Holy. I've only run E85 since last May, when my tune was done, and I've never accidentally put in regular gas. I just cleaned the intake filter...do you recommend just spraying down the MAF with a bit of brake clean? Any tricks for finding exhaust leaks? And lastly, what's the best/recommended way for a boost leak test? I'll check torque on the TGV Bolts and Intake Manifold in the morning.

Much thanks so far, I couldn't trace this without you!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Think nothing of it. It's what we are here for. :tup:

I think electrical contact cleaner would be better. There is also an Intake Air Temp sensor in there and and it is just a raw thermistor that is exposed to the air stream. I think brake cleaner is to harsh for this.

No good advice for finding exhaust leaks. I usually look for tell tale signs like black soot marks around the couplings or just get under there and listen for the tell tale exhaust click and tick sounds.

As for the boost leak test... if you refer back to cobbtunedsti's thread and the issue he was having, I believe Tim (aka STiFR3AK) explains how to make a tool and use it. Essentially you plug off the in of the air intake and pressurize the system with compressed air to something like 20psi. Listen for the leaks. Another way to search for intake leaks is to run the car and spray starter fluid around till you notice a change in engine speed. But the best method is the boost leak test.

Good luck with what ever you find out and please keep us posted. I'm sure we can help you out with what ever you find wrong.

cobbtunedsti

Holy.. I talked to Chris at Cobb yesterday about spraying Brake cleaner on the MAF.. He said it's fine... I guess it's personal preference.. But yes make a boost tester..

Yeah your probably right. I just don't know enough about what break cleaner is made of so it probably is fine. I was just worried about the temp sensor being exposed and possibly using a harsh chemical to clean it.

But if Calvin has no problems with it then it is probably fine. :tup:

Last edited by a moderator:

jswansti

Dont our cars ecu reset to a default map if they lose power? If so, has your cars ecu lost power since you started running E85? If it did and your ecu reset to a gas map and not the E85 map it could help explain Holy's theory that it looks like your running E85 on a 91 map. If you've completely reflashed the ecu with the E85 map and its still running weird, disregard this haha.

icudruln

I replaced the battery around December when the old one died. My first issue with a CEL was around mid January. Could that have changed the hard map from when I got tuned back in May of 2010? I still plan on checking for leaks with starter fluid, cleaning the MAF, a boost leak test, and checking for exhaust leaks....just trying to eliminate every possibility that may have aided in causing this.

Holy, nothing looked out of the norm in regards to the injectors themselves, correct? Again, just eliminating stuff to check or possibly fix/replace. Lastly, do you think the Cylinder One Misfires (Cylinder Roughness) was due to the Air/Fuel Correction & Learning, or possibly something else?

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I replaced the battery around December when the old one died. My first issue with a CEL was around mid January. Could that have changed the hard map from when I got tuned back in May of 2010? I still plan on checking for leaks with starter fluid, cleaning the MAF, a boost leak test, and checking for exhaust leaks....just trying to eliminate every possibility that may have aided in causing this.

Holy, nothing looked out of the norm in regards to the injectors themselves, correct? Again, just eliminating stuff to check or possibly fix/replace. Lastly, do you think the Cylinder One Misfires (Cylinder Roughness) was due to the Air/Fuel Correction & Learning, or possibly something else?

The injectors looked fine to me. You have plenty of room left in them and I didn't see any roughness to speak of that would cause concern. Hell I have more roughness than you do. It is possible that the trim errors are causing the misfires, yes.

I also forgot to mention... When was the last time you checked your plugs? It might be a good idea to check them and gap them.

icudruln

I put in the plugs (NGK Iridium One Step Colder) in at around 42K miles, and I just hit 66k. I'll check everything out and check the plugs as well, hopefully tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted. Feel free to add any other input guys!

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Here is my How-To on pressure testing

icudruln

Here is my How-To on pressure testing

I'll be building this this afternoon, as soon as I get off work.

Goals for today:
1. Go to Car Toys and have my remote for my alarm reprogrammed.
2. Install new clutch cable in the daily so its running.
3. Build Boost Leak Tester
4. Find Source of leak
5. Fix
6. Datalog and closely monitor AF Learning& AF Correction

I won't be happy until at least 1 & 2 are done. But the goal is to fix it all today. :)

icudruln

I got the daily just about right. Its freezing outside, and we ran out of light, and no working flashlight to be found :lol: I also got all the stuff for the boost leak tester. Project to be continued tomorrow!

icudruln

I got the daily just about right. Its freezing outside, and we ran out of light, and no working flashlight to be found :lol: I also got all the stuff for the boost leak tester. Project to be continued tomorrow!

icudruln

Update: Pulled Cylinder 1 Spark Plug and the bolt that goes to the block for the coil pack was corroded pretty good. Also, the spark plug had a tiny bit of oil on it...maybe 2 drops of oil. I cleaned both up and started the car up and got a normal idle for a good minute. I drove it to a parking spot at work, and no issues. I'll take the long way home and hit some stoplights to see how it does. Pics of spark plug coming as soon as I get off work.

I'll also be building the boost leak tester tomorrow before work.