Clunk sound when turning

09subisti

So for a few days I noticed an interesting clunk sound when taking a left hand turn, all the springs and struts were replaced 10,000 miles ago.
its more of a hollow click while i'm turning the wheel half way through the turn, and it happens at low speeds. but doesn't happen every time.
its coming from the left front of the car. (i believe)
Any helpful input would be much appreciated!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Its hard to say without being there, but its possible that a swaybar bushing is binding and needs some grease.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Check

Struts
Springs
Preload of springs
Mount bolts of everything
Ball joints
Tie rod
Tie rod end links
Swaybars
Swaybar end links
Tire/wheel clearance
Axle shafts
Brakes, rotors, pads, dust shields
Steering rack mounts
Control arm mounts

Wiggle, poke, prod, pry and check torque of it all.

Alter3go

When's the last time u got the tires rotated n balanced? Them pesky weights can come loose and can cause some unwanted noises in suspension. I'd say if you did them springs recently make sure they didn't rotate slightly and they settled correctly. I'd check also lubrication on suspension pieces like Grinder suggested.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Is your DCCD in Auto when this happens? Put it in full open (bottom green LED) and drive for a day or two like that. Let us know if you still hear it. In my experience, sounds heard when driving aren't always coming from where you think.

09subisti

yes the diff is in auto when I hear it.
I checked and made sure everything was torqued down so that is ruled out.
some bushing did look pretty dry but they were replaced also when the springs and struts were done. Tire clearance looked fine, I had it in full wheel lock both ways but it was tight in some areas due to the blizztak snow tires on it. That made me think that it could be the tire hitting the front of the bumper, and most of the time it happens when im turning to go up a driveway.
I havent had the tires rotated and balanced in a little while, I can do it when I go to my transmission class on friday.
thanks for all of your guys' help, it is greatly appreciated!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
This might have something to do with your springs. Hopefully, I can find this other thread somewhere around here where we talked about a very similar issue.

09subisti

Alright, that would be great if you could find it.
The front struts are stock but were revalved by feal suspension to be stiffer.
It doesnt happen that often, maybe once or twice a day.