Engine HELP!!!!!!!!

1sicSTI

I have a built engine.. yesterday i was driving around and everything was fine. i was driving a little harder than usual. all of my gauges were fine, nothing out of the ordinary. afr's were 11.5 at WOT, alittle high then whats its supposed to be at. the norm is 11.2 at WOT... so i pulled out of a turn i floored 2nd then hit third, it started wheelhopping so i let out put into fourth and precieded to drvie. when i went to give it gas i noticed that the car was off. it had completely shut down. all my gauges were fine. i pushed the clutch in and tried to crank it, it wouldnt crank. i coasted to the side of the road. i tried cranking from a stop and it wouldnt crank. i checked the battery, its fine. my best guess is that the engine may have locked up... there are no dents or anything that doesnt look normal. the oil pan looks fine no damage. i did notice this morning that it is leaking oil. i cant tell where from though. if anybody could give me some advice or info i would appreciate it.. thanks

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Did you pull the plugs at try to crank it?

1sicSTI

\
This could be a few things. You could have jumped timing. Ive done this doing the same thing. What is all done to the car mod wise? Check all connectors under the hood, coil packs, MAF and so on. Also, is the car turning over or is it siezed?
Its not turning over

1sicSTI

Ok, next thing Id say is to try jump starting it, if that doesnt work then something internaly locked up. Trans, motor, something. We will diagnoise further after you try the jump start.
Okay il jumpstart it and get back to you thank you

STimedic

Considering the fact he was able to coast to a stop, the trans should be fine. I'm placing money on oil pickup tube failure. What yr is your STi?

1sicSTI

Considering the fact he was able to coast to a stop, the trans should be fine. I'm placing money on oil pickup tube failure. What yr is your STi?
05 and would that cause it it stop running and the engine not turn over? i did notice it leaking oil once i got it towed and parked. it didnt leak all of it. its still pretty full. but enough to notice came out

STimedic

The oil pickup tube is in your oil pan, and yes, when one of those breaks, your motor can't siphon oil from the pan, leading to seizure of the motor from lack of lubrication. But that may or may not lead to a blown motor that leaks oil.

When was the last time you checked/changed the oil? How bad of a leak? From approx where under the car? Answer those and we can better answer you.

1sicSTI

The oil pickup tube is in your oil pan, and yes, when one of those breaks, your motor can't siphon oil from the pan, leading to seizure of the motor from lack of lubrication. But that may or may not lead to a blown motor that leaks oil.

When was the last time you checked/changed the oil? How bad of a leak? From approx where under the car? Answer those and we can better answer you.
The oil is fine.. it wasnt leaking oil... its leaking something else. i tried a roll start and when i pop the clutch it hults to a dead stop... like hitting the brakes stop. iv had a couple people say it jumped timing but idk if thats true. i cant see any metal specs in the oil. the car wont turn over at all.

1sicSTI

Sounds a lot like it jumped time. Your proabally gonna have to pull the timing covers and check it.
so if it jumped time wouldn't oy still be able to run, turn over and possibly crank? I'll pull the covers off next to see if it jumped time. Could it possibly bent something when it jumped time?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I would also do as JJ prescribed and remove the plugs to rule out Hydrolock. Just remove the plugs and try to crank it. It can't hurt anything to try at this point.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I said that how many posts ago? Lol.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Look up. ^^^^^

1sicSTI

i will try that... i just wish it was simple and from the looks of it it wont be. there is no external damage , no metal shavings in the oil nothing abnormal looking. i wont know much more till later today and tomorrow. now im in the market for a new motor

STimedic

I'm just saying, oil pickup tube will still leave oil in the motor.

But anyways, how many miles on the car and was the t-belt ever changed?

1sicSTI

I'm just saying, oil pickup tube will still leave oil in the motor.

But anyways, how many miles on the car and was the t-belt ever changed?
it has the mack daddy killer bee oil pickup tube... the engine has about 21k. the body has just broke 50k. no it has not. it looks fine. i took off the cover and it looked normal

ZachTTLM

Put the car in neutral and put a breaker bar and socket on crank pulley and see if you can turn it over if you cant, that tells us the engine is for sure locked up. Then it is time to figure out from what. If it jumped time it should still crank over in most cases. The work you did internally what upgrades did you make, what parts were re-used, and was everything torqued to spec?

ZachTTLM

Have you gotten to try turning it over by hand yet?? As mentioned this will help determine if it is internal damage such as bearing, rod, etc...

1sicSTI

Have you gotten to try turning it over by hand yet?? As mentioned this will help determine if it is internal damage such as bearing, rod, etc...

No I haven't had a chance yet... I'm in school. I won't get a chance till this weekend. No it will not turn over at all. Nothing moves when I try and start it.