Engine HELP!!!!!!!!

1sicSTI

Okay I had a question. Iv talked about it with others and iv been told I may have a drivetrain problem instead. When I shifted gears from 3rd to 4th wouldn't the wheels lock up a I would skid if the engine locked up...? Well see that didn't happen. When I let out of the clutch in 4th the car just died. No noise no skidding. This is just a thought..

1sicSTI

when it is in neutral and i turn the crank it turns so much one way and so much the other. If i turn it all the way one way and attemt to start it it sounds like it wants to crank. once it turns that certain amount it stops. It wont do a full rotation. If it did jump time then it could have bent several valves or maybe a rod?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
How does the clutch feel to you? If it is not bad then you can rule out the drive train by having someone depress the clutch and then try cranking the motor by hand. If it spins then it is the drive train. If not then there is internal damage to the motor. The idea is to completely isolate the drive train form the engine.

Of course this assumes it is not the clutch that is the problem and not binding up somewhere. The way to test the clutch and drive train is to lift the car and have someone depress the clutch. While the car is in 5th or sixth gear, spin the rear drive shaft. It will give you resistance but it should spin.

Last edited:

1sicSTI

How does the clutch feel to you? If it is not bad then you can rule out the drive train by having someone depress the clutch and then try cranking the motor by hand. If it spins then it is the drive train. If not then there is internal damage to the motor. The idea is to completely isolate the drive train form the engine.

Of course this assumes it is not the clutch that is the problem and not binding up somewhere. The way to test the clutch and drive train is to lift the car and have someone depress the clutch. While the car is in 5th or sixth gear, spin the rear drive shaft. It will give you resistance but it should spin.
the clutch felt funny the week prier to this happening and it happend when i shifted. like the cluth almost wouldnt engage but would. idk it didnt feel right. is it possible for valves to bind it up and also could the clutch break and lock it up?