GD George's cars (Retired)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
For my car it was $1300 @ the time. They range from $1200 to $1800 depending on the car. Everyone I spoke to at the time suggested all kinds of other tuning solutions and non of them could do half this. Glad I listened to myself.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
So I received my fuel content sensor and I installed it in the car today! It took me all day because I also re-did a bunch of wires that were bugging me and I also installed a bunch of power filters about the car. Oh yeah and I installed my new oil pressure gauge. The old one was not at all stable.

FCA.jpg

Its amazing, and a little disconcerting, to know that Haltech and Zietronix sell this same exact sensor in excess of $300 just re-branded. I purchased this one from Pace Performance for $82. They also have another version for $55. This plus the fittings and harness came to about $100. The lesson learned here kiddies is DO YOUR RESEARCH! and ye shall be rewarded. $200 was quite a savings and it allowed me to get the ProSport EVO boost and oil pressure gauges I've been wanting.

Now I am probably on the short list of people to fully implement flexfuel with the AEM EMS at this time since the firmware was only released little more than a week ago. Tuning it is insanely easy. The instructions that AEM provides are very well written and simple to follow.

Essentially they have a whole subset of tables for ethanol including Fuel, Ignition, O2 Feedback and Timing and includes a subset of all the start up tables and accel tables as well. You then transfer your fuel table to the flexfuel table and increase it by 35% for starters. Then transfer all of your other tables to the respective flexfuel counterparts. Then set the blending table so that 0% ethanol content results in using the standard fuel map only and 100% ethanol content results in using the flexfuel table only and interpolate in between so the 50% results in a 50% mix between the two tables. The timing, boost and O2 tables use the blending logic the same way. This assumes you have a fully tuned Gasoline map already. This gives you a great starting point to tune the flex fuel tables further for power or other strategies.

In my case though, we have gasoline that contains 10% ethanol already and I have it fully tuned for that content. So what I did to compensate was to increase the flexfuel table to be 33% greater than the fuel table versus 35% and I configured the blending table to start blending after 10% ethanol content and then interpolated it from there to 85% ethanol content thereby making E10 at 0% blending and E85 at 100% blending. I never plan to use E98 so my total blending range is 10-85% with a hysteresis of 75. At least this will give me a better place to start and I will be testing this fully with in the next week. But for all intents and purposes, my 1997 240SX is fully flexfuel capable

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Holy crap its fast... Er thats nice! And awesome! Would you say AEM>AP then? Even though $$$$$.

You need to post pictures of your interior and the gauges that you just got! :tup:

Also excited to see how this progresses!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Holy crap its fast... Er thats nice! And awesome! Would you say AEM>AP then? Even though $$$$$.

You need to post pictures of your interior and the gauges that you just got! :tup:

Also excited to see how this progresses!

Unless you are looking for flexfuel capability or other special features used in racing, I would say no to AEM>AP. I'm am of the opinion that OpenSource>AP mostly because of the price difference. OpenSource is just as capable and as I understand it they are working on a flexfuel solution as well. If they do that then that will push OpenSource over the top for me.

The AP is really nice and all and i love AccessTuner, but I'm leaning toward OpenSource. It is not proprietary and is tuner friendly. Cobb is borderline illegal when it comes to antitrust laws IMO.

On the other hand the cobb is nearly $600. For $600 more you can have the Magic Box that is capable of so much more than either of the previously mentioned.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Update us, pretty please!!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Car washes count as updates! :lol:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I finished my little arduino project. I needed a way to determine if water is flowing through my AWIC so I found some code to make a little flow meter. It works great and it uses a $5.00 flow sensor. Pretty cool! My next project is going to be a combination gauge that will display boost, AFR, oil press, fuel press, and data log everything including 4 channel EGT.

But for now i will settle for the flowmeter...
20131117_161558.jpg

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
That sir is awesome.
You should patent the idea of the multi gauge. I haven't seen one yet that will do all if those functions but yet have longed for something such as that.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
That is awesome!

Also listen to Spamby!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
That sir is awesome.
You should patent the idea of the multi gauge. I haven't seen one yet that will do all if those functions but yet have longed for something such as that.

Thank you! I'm not sure it would even be a patentable idea though. It is all open source components and open code. There are other projects out there that are very similar.

That is awesome!

Also listen to Spamby!

AhhhThank you sir!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
How is the Kouki doing?!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
OBDII <<<<<<< :rambo:

Me <<<<<<< :fuji:

New Evap Canister, $206... New ECU, $455... Buying your mechanic and his girlfriend dinner at Ginza for working on your car all day, $250... A shot gun to the head, PRICELESS.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Damn! First of all.. What is Ginza?!

New ecu!!!?? What happened to the other one?!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Damn! First of all.. What is Ginza?!

New ecu!!!?? What happened to the other one?!

Ginza is the most awesome sushi place local to me. Incredible food but expensive.

I washed my engine. The rest is history.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
^lmao

Hey... At least the shotgun to the head is priceless! :lol:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
That reminds me I have my first sushi night this year in a couple of weeks.
Freakin can't wait!

Weeks? That's to long to wait for sushi. I swear this is all they serve in Heaven

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Weeks? That's to long to wait for sushi. I swear this is all they serve in Heaven

Agreed but this is the special event. This is the night when we get the place to ourselves and the chef caters us a 5-7 course meal.
The chef is a friend of ours ;)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Hot damn! Pics of all that food!!!