Hey new too this but got a leak on a fmic

troy.hicks.3517

I have a 2011 wrx impreza I have done a boost test and it passed but the tuner eric minehart says still has a leak it's a small leak only piece I haven't replace is the throttle body hose

Mods are cobb ap v3
Invedia catless downpipe
Turbo xs intake
Turbosmart dual port bov
Stage 2 clutch kit and light weight flywheel
And the fmic

Please help

TK-421

You could be leaking boost through the PCV system, with as much that is invested into this car, I would add a AOS (Air Oil Separator) Perrin, Grimmspeed and Crawford are the top sellers.

You could also have a tear in one of the couplers, I've seen that countless times.

And what is the definition of "passing" a boost test? Do you mean boost leak test? And if so, you either leak or you don't, there really isn't a pass or fail margin when boost leak testing.

Most of the time it usually is something really small and overlooked, could be anything from a leaky vacuum hose, turbo inlet hose, to the actual charge piping, anything that sees a boost reference, or signal from boost pressure has the chance to leak.

In Evo's the most common boost leak is the throttle body shaft seals, I change them out on the daily on Evo 8's and 9's. With most Subaru's I've found it to be a vacuum line or the PCV system. But the fact that you have a front mount intercooler setup, you could have a small tear or pin hole in a silicone coupler, that would leak boost pressure like a three day old diaper.

troy.hicks.3517

Wow didn't know that hope get it fixed the guy that tunes the car eric minehart is long ways from me he said not go full boost with a leak

ej25subie05

if its a small leak you won't hear it. i had a leak and never even noticed. car didn't change in the way it drove either when i changed the coupler.

troy.hicks.3517

Took it too s performance place for vw they really couldn't tell me anything about my data logs but have found a leak in the hose go to bov where the clamp put a hole in it and flange was still leaking he took the throttle body hose off the throttle body and test it that way

Alter3go

This may sound dumb but you can do this from a cold or a warm start but I'd say warm start since it'll bubble a bit better. Buy some bubbles from the dollar store or get soapy water and spray the piping while the car is on itll begin to bubble on the section leaking air and it's safe for your engine. You may have to be very patient and look for even the most minute bubbles and put marks where you see bubbles and narrow it down to where it's leaking. Or do both cold and warm whatever works I suppose.