How-To: Request: Driveshaft Replacement

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
^ LOL awwwwww.

Btw...I still don't have a shipping date on this so I'm assuming it's still being built. When I find out,
I'll update everyone.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I talked to Jordan (at Defined Performance) yesterday and he said the driveshaft should arrive Monday/Tuesday next week. WOOOHOOOO!!!!!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Anyone know off the top of their head, what transmission fluid I should put in? Like many have
mentioned, to do this install, I'll need to drain at least half of the fluid from the transmission or when
I take out the driveshaft, it'll pour out. So obviously, I'm going to need some new fluid to put in.

I'm not really sure what I should buy. I figure that if all else fails, I'll dig up my STi factory manual and
look up what it recommends. If you guys list suggestions, please try to keep it to stuff I can find at most
any auto parts store. Thanks everyone! The shaft is supposed to be delivered today! I'm soooo excited!

I saw somewhere that they were able to free up something like 15 or 20 lbft of
torque just by switching to this.

:D YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I used the OEM Extra-S available at any/all subaru dealerships. I found it was almost the same price to get a 5gal tank vs the like 5 qts it takes (that's off the top of my head). Then you can use later or sell to some friends.

For the rear diff, I also used Extra-S, but the 07 has the Torsen rear diff that can use the Extra-S, but on earlier models I think you need to get the Motul gear oil.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I'm looking online now for the closest Subaru dealership. I have an O'Reilly's and an Advance Auto Parts within walking distance though...lol Any other suggestions on transmission fluids? Anyone? I know Motul or Amsoil would be great but I don't have access to them here, and I really don't want to wait long enough to receive an order.
I want to do this in the next couple days.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I'm looking online now for the closest Subaru dealership. I have an O'Reilly's and an Advance Auto Parts within walking distance though...lol Any other suggestions on transmission fluids? Anyone? I know Motul or Amsoil would be great but I don't have access to them here, and I really don't want to wait long enough to receive an order.
I want to do this in the next couple days.

Wait and get the good stuff like motul or Amsoil or subaru oem. Shouldn't take too long to get an order. You can have one by the weekend easily.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I ordered my extra-s through subaru, and it came in 2 days later.

Just like with engine oil, I wouldn't skimp on transmission oil. You could fill it up with something "for now" and then replace it with some good stuff later, but with cheap stuff i'd be worried about getting on it--which sort of defeats the purpose of doing a go-fast mod right now. Might as well wait.

What do the advance/o'riliey's carry?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I just called a local Subaru dealership and talked to the guy in the parts department. He said he doesn't know anything
about any "OE Subaru Extra-S Manual Tranny oil". He said "the guys around here just use 75w-90. But if you can find
me a part number, I'll look it up."

FML.

I gave him this number. Couldn't find it in the system.
K0322AA095

FML.

I found it on Amazon.com. It's $15.00/qt. Good price?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I just called a local Subaru dealership and talked to the guy in the parts department. He said he doesn't know anything
about any "OE Subaru Extra-S Manual Tranny oil". He said "the guys around here just use 75w-90. But if you can find
me a part number, I'll look it up."

FML.

I gave him this number. Couldn't find it in the system.
K0322AA095

FML.

I found it on Amazon.com. It's $15.00/qt. Good price?

Comparative:

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Motul-3178CZ-Gear-300-75W90-Gear-Oil-1QT

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...-transmission-and-transaxle-gear-lube-75w-90/

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Amsoil?

What's that? :tard:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member