GD LJ's E85 STi: Addicted To Suspension Mods!

icudruln

548882_10150924968170095_1671017778_n.jpg

561084_10150924968095095_1348047009_n.jpg

Attachments

• 548882_10150924968170095_1671017778_n.jpg
    548882_10150924968170095_1671017778_n.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 59

jswansti

18.5 psi on my more aggressive E85 tune. I usually run the 15.5 psi map he also did for me. What were your numbers? Im actually from Mead so its sweet having him right there in my hometown. He's an awesome/ quirky person.

icudruln

18.5 psi on my more aggressive E85 tune. I usually run the 15.5 psi map he also did for me. What were your numbers? Im actually from Mead so its sweet having him right there in my hometown. He's an awesome/ quirky person.

Hmmm...maybe its the Cobb vs Opensource? I'm not sure.

Numbers wise we stayed at 17 psi, ending up at 293/311. It's crazy how my original E85 tune at Mac put out 333/411, but the new setup feels noticeably more powerful and torquey.

jswansti

Possibly...all cars are different! On the 15.5 psi tune I put down about 290/320 I think. 18.5 was something like 306/335-ish. Either way, those are some pretty good numbers and I bet the tune is solid! Gotta love the torque. That first drive is a whole new experience.

icudruln

Possibly...all cars are different! On the 15.5 psi tune I put down about 290/320 I think. 18.5 was something like 306/335-ish. Either way, those are some pretty good numbers and I bet the tune is solid! Gotta love the torque. That first drive is a whole new experience.

Very true. It's crazy seeing firsthand how people may have a skewed view of a car and/or tuner simply by numbers. The car pulls noticeably harder than Mac's tune.

icudruln

Since the tune, I've corrected two electrical issues I ran into. One being that the car hesitated to start, which ended up being a loose and dirty ground off the driver's side fender. The second issue was the stereo power cutting in and out, which ended up being a fuse that literally broke. One of the prongs was chipped to pieces.

Next up, I'll doing the "Air Bag Light" Mod. Essentially I'll be wiring some resistors into the air bag harnesses for the stock seats. Looking around, a lot of people struggled to find the correct resistor to completely cap this circuit, which is a 3.3 Ohm 1 Watt 5% Tolerance Resistor. I found this via Radioshack's website for only $1.09 each.

icudruln

Whats the air bag light mod?

The factory seats have airbags built into them, and a yellow wire for the airbag sensor below the seat. With aftermarket seats, the Air Bag light will illuminate, due to not having an airbag. Wiring in a 3.3 Ohm 1 Watt resistor will essentially "trick" the ECU into thinking it operates properly. This is important to do, because with the Airbag light on, the other airbags in the vehicle may not operate properly, or fail to deploy in the event of a collision.

icudruln

Update:

Resistors have been soldered in, using a 3.3 Ohm resistor (purchased from Radioshack). Air bag light is off without any issue. I also took this time to fabricate some "risers" for the seat rails. Previously, the seats sat lower than I preferred, partially due to me being 5'9". Me, with the help of my dad, who used to fabricate exhausts and roll cages, effectively raised the height of both seats two inches. This has made a HUGE difference! I get the bolstering of an aftermarket seat, with near stock seat ride height. One of my favorite modifications so far! Pics will be up soon.

In other news, I handed over the daily I previously purchased to my fiance. I am now in the final steps of purchasing a 1992 Honda Civic EG hatchback from a buddy of mine. The Civic has an LS VTEC setup, along with a GSR transmission. This'll be taking away from the Subie a bit, as I've always wanted an EG hatch, as well as a fun daily. I'll be doing all the basic maintenance first, followed by some light mods. Plans for this car are just having a quick, all motor Civic.

icudruln

So, I just got word from my job I might be moving to SoCal, or possibly Texas for a job promotion. I'm thrilled for the promotion, and the opportunity to maybe move back home (I'm from San Diego), but one thing crossed my mind....registering/driving the STI out there. I've done a bit of research on the C.A.R.B. enactment, and have seen some of the issues people have with law enforcement and the smog refs. It seems its mostly people with Honda's or true ricers that have the issues. I'll be selling the Civic for the move out there, so that crosses off one worry. As for the Subaru, I'm already looking to swap out my catback exhaust (Invidia N1 Race) for something quieter and low key (not an angled exhaust). Any other tips or helpful suggestions, first hand experiences are welcome!

icudruln

Nice! I'm still here in Colorado. Company decided they weren't gonna go through with opening a new store in SoCal. I'm happy here but I wouldn't mind getting away from the snow sometime soon.