GD LJ's E85 STi: Addicted To Suspension Mods!

icudruln

The STi is going into the shop mid February! The car is going to a trusted friend I've got to know over the last couple of years, Mo-Fab of Englewood, Colorado, owned and run by Scottie Molitor. Scottie has been the lead tech for Mac Autosport for the last few years, and opened his own performance and fabrication shop in Englewood, Colorado, emphasizing in building Subaru's. If you're looking for a trusted and knowledgeable shop, check out the shop's site: http://www.mo-fab.com/

Ordered the top feep conversion kit and injectors; will have new fuel lines and fittings installed.

Checklist:
- T1R Top Feed Conversion w/ ID 1000cc injectors, new stainless fuel lines and fittings
- Schedule E85 tune with Nick at Mac Autosport
- Oil change
- Coolant Flush
- Install new seat brackets
- Odyssey PC680 Battery w/ new terminals
- Get Car Tuned
- Four Wheel Alignment
- Sexy cleaning and waxing :)
- Car is up and running!

I can't wait to drive the Subie! It's been too long.

Last edited:

BadlandsRacer

So, I just picked up a new daily as a sort of Christmas present to myself. I wanted something reliable before I worry about fixing the STi. 2002 Honda Accord EX V6, fully loaded, aftermarket deck and speakers. It's one hell of an upgrade over a 1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD with bad rings. :lol:

I'll trade you. Your Honda for my 1986 VW Jetta. :lol:

icudruln

I'll trade you. Your Honda for my 1986 VW Jetta. :lol:

:lol: Something finally reliable is nice after over a year of not having any reliability when it comes to cars. Funny part is, I was looking at a Passat as well. One of the guys at work owns one, and he said to run away.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
*deleted because i suck at reading*

A lightweight header could get you power AND weight. If i had the funds, I'd probably get the KillerB one that seems to net quite a bit of power and save 8 lbs off the very front.

Additionally, is your wingless trunk the steel, aluminum or CF? CF trunks can be rather affordable if you get a used one, and another good source of weightloss!

Just some food for thought! And sorry if you mentioned it other places in your journal, I havent read that much of it yet!

Edit: I'm an idiot. I see the bumper beams on your to-be-installed list! deleted first section of this post accordingly :)

double edit: added the cf trunk bit.

Last edited:

icudruln

*deleted because i suck at reading*

A lightweight header could get you power AND weight. If i had the funds, I'd probably get the KillerB one that seems to net quite a bit of power and save 8 lbs off the very front.

Additionally, is your wingless trunk the steel, aluminum or CF? CF trunks can be rather affordable if you get a used one, and another good source of weightloss!

Just some food for thought! And sorry if you mentioned it other places in your journal, I havent read that much of it yet!

Edit: I'm an idiot. I see the bumper beams on your to-be-installed list! deleted first section of this post accordingly :)

double edit: added the cf trunk bit.

Yeah, after I get the car running, I'll end up doing a set of coilovers, then back to the power aspect of the build. I love the Killer B header, but cost wise, it's not very practical. Power gains with it are awesome, but so is the UEL header offered from Litespeed (lightweight part company). I don't want to get rid of the boxer rumble, at least as of yet. When the time comes to do some header shopping, I'll be swayed one way or another...until then, I'm still on the fence.

My trunk was acquire via a straight swap with someone local that had a Bugeye WRX. If I stick with the STi long term, I'd love to do a mostly carbon fiber body, painted over by a graphite color, just so you can barely see the weaves in the carbon parts underneath.

Lightweight bumper beams are realistically my next "major" mod, followed by coilovers (brakes need to get done before em all). I'm contemplating powdercoating the stock BBS wheels, but I really want something new in the 18x9 range.

icudruln

fuel rails, injectors, all new fuel lines and fittings installed! Just need to order seat rails and have the car tuned for it to hit the road again.

icudruln

Tune scheduled for the 26th of July! Harvey at The Boost Creep is tuning it. I'm excited and nervous for the tune. Excited because I miss driving this car so damn much, and nervous because with my luck, something will be wrong, or break. :lol:

icudruln

Does anybody have any tips or suggestions for getting these spotty looking things on the factory wheels? I figure its probably from mag chloride they put on the roads in the winter. I don't want the wheel paint to look somewhat half-assed using touch up paint, and I don't want to have them powdercoated, and end up being a shade of gold off.

attachment

icudruln

Everything is good to go! I have installed the limp map provided by my tuner (Harvey at The Boost Creep Ltd). He checked out a log I sent him after installing the limp map, and everything is fine until tune day! I can't wait for the 26th! Pics will be up soon.

icudruln

Update:

Car is running and back on the road! Harvey is HANDS DOWN the best tuner I've ever had the opportunity to be around. His thoroughness, concern, and quality of work is on another level that no tuner I've ever dealt with has been anywhere near. Numbers wise, it put down less than expected, and less than my first E85 tune at Mac Autosport (who is known to have a high reading dyno). But the car pulls A LOT harder and runs much better than my first tune on E85. Dyno graph will be uploaded shortly.

To start off the day, we got the car set up on the dyno, and Harvey immediately gets to overlooking everything. Harvey prefers to do a smoke test on the car before any tuning is done, and the smoke test immediately shows a leak...a rock sized hole inbetween one of the fins in the OEM Intercooler. Harvey knows the story about how my car has sat for a while, and reassures me everything will be okay. We did a slight ghetto fabrication of the TMIC hole (about the size of a screw off an iPhone as he describes it), and do a bit of JB Weld in the hole. We overlook a few more things, checking Fuel Pressure, and everything looks good.

With my first tune at Mac Autosport, Nick recommended using the Forge UNOS Manual Boost Controller for use with OpenSource tuning. I had Mac set up the boost controller originally, as I didn't want to mess anything up (car was previously tuned at 17.5 PSI). Today, Harvey does a pull, and boost is at 22. I freak out, and extreme paranoia is already running through me. Harvey again reassures me everything will be okay, and we double check all boost lines....everything checks out okay. Harvey recommends swapping to the Grimmspeed MBC, and we install it without any issue.

Harvey messes around with OpenSource, doing a few pulls and adjustments here and there. After three or four good pulls, he's comfortable with the car. He's very happy with the tune, and takes it around the block, coming back with a big grin on his face. After hanging out for a bit longer, I take my first drive in it, and am IN LOVE!

jswansti

Harvey is the man!! You definitely made the right choice going to him. Been running his tune for 1.5 years and 20,000 miles with no problem (other than bad injectors at one point). Enjoy man!!

icudruln

Harvey is the man!! You definitely made the right choice going to him. Been running his tune for 1.5 years and 20,000 miles with no problem (other than bad injectors at one point). Enjoy man!!

I mentioned you on here to him, and he remembered your car. I thought about you after looking around for what kind of numbers to expect. How much peak boost are you at?