Need help TGV sensor

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Do what holycrapitsfast suggested from the first page. Check for leaks visually. If nothing then do a boost leak test. And there has to be a leak somewhere. Regardless post the results back here please.

Still drive like a grandma for the time being if you need to drive the car.

Also tell us what the code was for the CEL.

What did your uncle say about the clutch?

izeahhh40

Im actually driving a prius right now lol and i will but should i check my turbo to see if its blown? [MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION]

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Thats right you did say there was oil. Yes check the turbo as well.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Lol so what would be recommended to do next? To see why im losing power like that

I need to backtrack and read through the thread again. I've been so busy at work and at home that I haven't be able to follow up here as much as I'd like.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I would say check the turbo. You will need to either gain access to it by removing the down pipe or the inlet and test the play in the wheel. There should be little play on a journal bearing turbo and almost none on a ball bearing turbo. I think the 02 WRX is a journal bearing.

Also did resetting the ECU bring back any of your power? Did you check for leaks?

izeahhh40

Well when i was doing the compression test i did check the computer and it said PO102 and PO113 but i think its because the intake and MAF sensor was off but other than that there was nothing else

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yeah I think you have a blown turbo IMO, probably exacerbated by a leak somewhere

izeahhh40

Ok i will check the turbo when i get home from school and my uncle is really busy that is why he hasnt really helped but he said he will check where the coolant is coming from today and check everything else when he does that i will remove the turbo and check it

Im not sure if this was covered or not but when you did the test, were you holding the throttle wide open? If not, this could explain the lower numbers but typically you dont want to see a large difference. They should be about even. A common reference is 10% of each other.

izeahhh40

Ok i just took off my turbo and the wheels had zero play so im not sure if the turbo is blown the wheel does not move from its place at all and it spins ok. Does this mean the turbo is not blown or whats another way of checking the turbo? [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION]

TK-421

Forgive me if I have been absent, was dealing with the stresses of a funeral and family.

But just because there is no excessive shaft play does not mean the turbo isn't blown, it could be bad seals, does the exhaust housing of the turbo look clean? Or does it appear to have an oil residue around the center housing? Second, get that boost leak test done, it will show you where you might have any leaks into the intake system. In a turbocharged car any sort of gasket leak/boost leak can mean a loss of power. If the boost leak comes back with positive results, the next thing I would do is a Cylinder Leak Down test, which is slightly different than a compression test, but if your uncle is a mechanic, he will know exactly what a leak down test is.

After that, the only other way we can continue to help you is by providing us with some datalogs to look at, other than that we are just phishing around in the dark for answers without knowing the whole picture, and a datalog would provide exactly that.