Open Source OR Cobb ???

phazewunfx

Hello guys im stuck in a delama as to what to do to the 11 STI.

Every subaru i have had i ran cobb, but i always felt it was a waste of money... it just sat in my glove box.

Now for the money of an access port i can get an open source tune out here and it would be a better map than the OTS correct ??

i have called around to all the local shops but they all are giving biased information, they tell you what they want to possibly bring business to their shop which i understand, but i need a 3rd party here to tell me the pros and cons of an open source... i would rather use my laptop and log then deal with the cobb logger which i heard was a POS anyway.

Can anyone please help !

Kevin
OC CA

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Well first :welcome: to the team. Be sure to check out the premium memberships for giveaways and more. Now onto your question. The guys will chime in I'm sure, but my take on it first would be what mods are you looking to do to your 2011 STi, or what has been done to it so far?

ILSMKU2

I know that knucklehead! LoL. Where he go? His 2011 STI is stock other than a Invidia Q300 cat back. He basically has the exact same car as me, but in a different color. I sent him here to get some sound advice from you guys.

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Phaze what do you wanna do? Tell me your plans!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
See now it all depends on how you do thing and what your preferences are. I happen to feel that logging through the AP is the easiest and most convenient way to log especially since they expanded the monitor list in the AP. I also happen to feel that ATR is the better of the two softwares now that they expanded the number of available tables.

If you log with the AP you don't have to mess with a lap top in the vehicle and you can analyze the log at your leisure. Downloading the logs is a painless process.

If you simply must use a laptop, then log through ATR as suggested. I have been using both open source and the AP/ATR for years and I can say that the AP is a better platform by far. You can also live tune with ATR.

Yes it is much more expensive than open source but there are features that, if properly utilized, can make tuning, monitoring and logging a breeze. Well worth it if you take the time to utilize all that it has to offer.

Some examples...

-If you get a bad tank of gas you can retard your timing on the fly.
-You can adjust your idle on the fly.
-You can implement FFS (Flat Foot Shifting) and LC (Launch Control) painlessly and for free.
-The world class tuning software is free.
-You can utilize the built in dyno feature for tuning purposes or just sheer curiosity.
-You can record 1/4 mile and 0-60 times.
-Displays fuel economy and a host of other monitors.
-Logs.
-Convenient reflash of maps.
-On the fly reflash.
-Store up to 16 different maps
-Read codes
-Reset the ECU

All with out having to connect a laptop. For me it's a no brainer.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
hmmmmmm

i still dont know what to do !!!

The short of it is open source is less convenient, less intuitive and less user friendly but it is very cheap and has a huge support and knowledge base.

Cobb is convenient, intuitive, and user friendly but expensive. It has a large support and knowledge base but not as good as Rom Raider.

phazewunfx

So either way there are pros and cons of both routes... i have a laptop and would really love to learn how to adjust my own maps and learn to read the open source..

think im going to go that route.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
If you become a "SPONSOR" and can promise me the homeless guy will wear the IGOTASTi shirt and get me a picture, I will send the shirt plus 2 stickers for your STi! One time chance only! Let me know!

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Rufus from Bum Fight Crew wearing igotasti.com shirt?!?! ROFL

Having a small device like an AP to log with is worth it IMO. I also have a laptop I use for tuning in addition to my home PC. However when I'm not using ATR it stays in my room. Having to lug my laptop back and forth every time I want to drive would be a PITA. Its a lot easier to keep an accessport in the glove box for when you need it in a jam.... Like when I was on my way to autocross and had a bunch of missfires and a CEL pop up.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Here is a picture on mine all nicely mounted.
attachment.php

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Ap is nice for that. I just updated mine again with the newest updates.

cobbtunedsti

Anything different with the update.. I haven't updated mine in 10 months.. Lol