Second cam sensor issue in 1 month...

Vermont

LOL.

I'm starting to debate replacing the cam sensor.... I might just check the oil screen. Its very odd that it hasn't had issues since the oil change (well it did RIGHT after but hasn't since).

I just realized that I have a midterm next week so It looks like the car will be put off yet again this weekend.

Yo bad, I just talked to a shop near me about having my EWG welded into my DP and the whole issue with my cam sensor was brought up. Huys there said they have seen more than a few legacy's and wrx's with this issue but no STI's yet. They had the same problem with their cutomers vehicles (swapping cam shaft position sensors to no avail) and some how (they didn't tell me how they found this out) but in both cases it was the AVCS control valve at the front of the head that was causing the problem. As soon as they swapped that out the problem went right away. Sound like you might have the same issue since the problem went away as soon as you changed the oil.... If it pops up again you might wanna look into that.

Yo bad, I just talked to a shop near me about having my EWG welded into my DP and the whole issue with my cam sensor was brought up. Huys there said they have seen more than a few legacy's and wrx's with this issue but no STI's yet. They had the same problem with their cutomers vehicles (swapping cam shaft position sensors to no avail) and some how (they didn't tell me how they found this out) but in both cases it was the AVCS control valve at the front of the head that was causing the problem. As soon as they swapped that out the problem went right away. Sound like you might have the same issue since the problem went away as soon as you changed the oil.... If it pops up again you might wanna look into that.

Thanks for the heads up buddy! I will definitely look into this. Sounds like a major PITA to swap that valve.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Shouldn't really be... They are out in the open on your car:tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Unfortunately the oil screen is not easy to get to. You have to remove the timing belt and cam sprockets to get to the back part of the plastic shield. You have to remove that to gain access to the banjo bolt that has the screen in it.

The sucky thing is you can see the bolt with out haveing to take things apart but getting to it is another story.

Unfortunately the oil screen is not easy to get to. You have to remove the timing belt and cam sprockets to get to the back part of the plastic shield. You have to remove that to gain access to the banjo bolt that has the screen in it.

The sucky thing is you can see the bolt with out haveing to take things apart but getting to it is another story.

I thought it was the bolt in the line under the intake.... That's what Tim's (turbineguy) understanding was as well and IIRC the location the service bulletin referred to. Its the AVCS feed line banjo bolt.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/107551-avcs-banjo-bolt-filters.html

Last edited:
Last edited:

Vermont

I am going to bring my car in on Monday about this issue.... I have tried everything to stop my issue and to no avail. As I said before the guys at Mach V had said that by replacing the AVCS control valve had fixed the problem so I think I might have them check that banjo bolt while they are in there....

I had checked out that link and it seems like a clogged banjo bolt or something along those lines might be causing the issue. As every one who has this issue seems to treat their cars the same way. Both me, you and that guy on IWSTI, all drive our cars like grandmas and garage keep them a lot of the time. This issue might be related to not driving them enough.... sounds odd but it would not surprise me at all.

Last edited:
I am going to bring my car in on Monday about this issue.... I have tried everything to stop my issue and to no avail. As I said before the guys at Mach V had said that by replacing the AVCS control valve had fixed the problem so I think I might have them check that banjo bolt while they are in there....

I had checked out that link and it seems like a clogged banjo bolt or something along those lines might be causing the issue. As every one who has this issue seems to treat their cars the same way. Both me, you and that guy on IWSTI, all drive our cars like grandmas and garage keep them a lot of the time. This issue might be related to not driving them enough.... sounds odd but it would not surprise me at all.

That's why I'm thinking it was related to the mayonnaise in the oil... I drive 3.5 miles to work the car sits for 12 hours then I drive 3.5 miles back home. The short commute = condensation not burning off = mayonnaise in the oil = clogged screens/ avcs.

However... I'm thinking that the AVCS shit may be 100% submersed in oil unlike the filler cap and breather system so accumulation of mayonnaise may not be possible.

This fucking sucks.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The banjo bolts in question are on the heads. On the drivers side it is the one on the front of the head behind the timing belt cover. On the passenger side it is the one on the back of the head in front of the turbo. There is a difference in appearance between the ones with the filters and the ones without. The ones without are flat and the ones with are raised in the center.

I kinda doubt you have sludge blocking these passages. I think your motor would have given out long before that was allowed to happen. I think your sludge issue is confined to the blowby system. It was like that on my car to. If you want to check just pull the AVCS solenoid. If there is sludge it will show up on that.

Last edited:
The banjo bolts in question are on the heads. On the drivers side it is the one on the front of the head behind the timing belt cover. On the passenger side it is the one on the back of the head in front of the turbo. There is a difference in appearance between the ones with the filters and the ones without. The ones without are flat and the ones with are raised in the center.

I kinda doubt you have sludge blocking these passages. I think your motor would have given out long before that was allowed to happen. I think your sludge issue is confined to the blowby system. It was like that on my car to. If you want to check just pull the AVCS solenoid. If there is sludge it will show up on that.

So you don't think the cam sensor issue is related to anything with the oil? Damnit. I'll check the solenoid.

I guess I'm back to square one. :(

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
So you don't think the cam sensor issue is related to anything with the oil? Damnit. I'll check the solenoid.

I guess I'm back to square one. :(

It could still be a clogged screen but I don't think it is related to the sludge. If it is sludge then it should show up in the solenoids

Vermont

I agree with Holy on this one man. Pull the AVCS control valve and replace it. Heck the valve may just have gone bad (not likely). Honestly I do not think it is a sludge (water oil mix) that is in there. I am think more of just plain old oil build up in the area causing the oil to flow in and out of the control valve weirdly which then causes timing issues.... I will let you know what the shop comes up with next week. They have dealt with this issue before so we will see.

Vermont

I'll pull the valve and check it out. I don't have time to get a new one in by Monday when I plan on messing with the car. Wouldnt it throw an AVCS code?

I have no idea man.... But think of it. So long as the signal to and from the valve are good then the ECU will not see anything wrong with it. The only time you get a code is when a signal either A) stops or B) is to strong or weak. If the valve is still opening but not fully or not closing fully then no code would be thrown. Only if the valve stopped working altogether would it throw one..... At least that is my current under standing of why codes are thrown for sensors and such.... Holy or Td_d would be better to ask about that as I might be way the fuck off....

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Yeah, that's pretty much how the CEL routines work - outer limits on signal (usually voltage or the max and min physical values) and no signal.

Vermont

Dropped my car off at the shop and already 1 hour latter they found the problem.... hopefully... Said they found a crap load of wires that had been cut/frayed around the coolant over flow area under the turbo..... Obviously it is my fault, as I am the only person to work on the car... I hope that this is the issue as then I finally will be able to drive the car. I am having them take a picture of the area in question so I can know what to avoid next time. I am still at a loss at how the fuck I did that in the first place. :tard:

I will post said picture up here in this thread if they do take one.

Stiyle11sedan

Is your AP tuned or upgraded with your intake?? I had a similar issue and it was because my AP wasn't tuned to my specific intake (COBB SF) .....just a thought.
Good luck with it!

Vermont

Yo bad, I know it sounds stupid but I would seriously consider taking the car into a shop to have it inspected for the problem. I spent over $350 on parts and months of labor trying to find my issue and it turns out 2 hours of labor at a shop near me plus the charge of the diagnosis ($135) and I was all good and out the door. Just a thought man as your issues sounds a lot like mine. So it could be frayed wiring. Is the connection is intermittent then it might not show on a volt meter(mine didn't)