SSGmatt's 2006 Rally blue STI

ssgmatt

Ok, so last night i went a little crazy and bought header, devils own water/meth injection, prosport evo a/f gauge with sensor, prosport egt gauge, clock pod, and 1000cc injectors. All i have left now on my wish list before I get home is a fuel pump, fp green or gt30r turbo, clutch, short shifter, oil catch can, and ebcs or electronic boost controller. Found someone on here that was tuned by modified by KC so when i get home I'm going to use my leave to install everything. What I'm trying to figure out is I want a meth tune, and a E85 tune. Should i shut the meth off when tuning for E85 and how in the world am i going to tune for meth then tune for E85 without leaving the dyno running the car out of gas and filling up with E85?

jswansti

When I got tuned for e85 I went in with enough 91 in my tank to do any easy DD tune on the dyno, and then we ran whatever was left out and added e85 to the tank. From what I've been told/heard is you want to start with a fresh tank of e85 for the best tune and reliability in the tune. If your running tank after tank of e85 you wont have any gas mixing, so you'll want the tune done on as pure e85 as you can get it.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You deffinately want to have your meth off when you tune for e85. It's one or the other not both.

You will not be able to get a consistant tune without completely running one fuel out. I would seek more then one individuals opinion before choosing a tuner.

When I got tuned for e85 I went in with enough 91 in my tank to do any easy DD tune on the dyno, and then we ran whatever was left out and added e85 to the tank. From what I've been told/heard is you want to start with a fresh tank of e85 for the best tune and reliability in the tune. If your running tank after tank of e85 you wont have any gas mixing, so you'll want the tune done on as pure e85 as you can get it.

This is a very good point. I have found that even slight mixtures can have a very large effect on fuel trims.

ssgmatt

So what is the horsepower difference in gains between E85 and meth? Would i gain that much more from E85 over meth? seems running meth is muc hmore conveinant

ssgmatt

Just wanted to say thank you to Defined for hooking me up with a DW300 fuel pump looked around and there isn't anyone cheaper.

ssgmatt

Did anyone else read the article in DSPORT about the new AEM failsafe? They simulated every fail they could at over 4500 RPM's and there were no catastrophic failures! The kit cost around 250 and IMO would be well worth it. It got added to the wish list after i read the article and think I've decided on the AEM and meth over E85.

SSJBaku

So what is the horsepower difference in gains between E85 and meth? Would i gain that much more from E85 over meth? seems running meth is muc hmore conveinant
Do not have any personal experience, but from charts i have seen on other forums it seems users can run more boost on e85 thus more power, e85 definitely uses a LOT more injector than pump gas does, but i am not an expert, some other members probably have more information than me

ssgmatt

http://roadraceengineering.com/blog/?p=889
Just wondering but if E85 will max out your injectors faster couldnt you run more boost with meth and therefore more power? The car that it was tested on was an Evo making 326whp on 91 and 391 on meth. Seems about right even with the gains made off of E85 without the hassle of trying to find a E85 station?

SSJBaku

http://roadraceengineering.com/blog/?p=889
Just wondering but if E85 will max out your injectors faster couldnt you run more boost with meth and therefore more power? The car that it was tested on was an Evo making 326whp on 91 and 391 on meth. Seems about right even with the gains made off of E85 without the hassle of trying to find a E85 station?

in some cases yes, but if you look at most subarus running meth vs running e85, most tuners will stop meth around 25-26psi, where as e85 a lot of users run closer to 30psi

ssgmatt

Looks like I will have to take some time to weigh the pro's and con's before I decide what i want to do. I already bought the meth kit but listening to everyone that has had problems with them it makes me nervous. With the added safety of the failsafe it just seems like it would be alot easier since I do travel quite a bit and wouldnt have to spend any time searching for E85, filling up more often, not having much more than 180 miles of range on a tank and not having to worry about what blend I'm getting at the pump ie E70 E85.

SSJBaku

Looks like I will have to take some time to weigh the pro's and con's before I decide what i want to do. I already bought the meth kit but listening to everyone that has had problems with them it makes me nervous. With the added safety of the failsafe it just seems like it would be alot easier since I do travel quite a bit and wouldnt have to spend any time searching for E85, filling up more often, not having much more than 180 miles of range on a tank and not having to worry about what blend I'm getting at the pump ie E70 E85.
the reasons you state are the reasons i purchased a meth kit, there are very few gas stations in my area with e85 to make it a reasonable idea

ssgmatt

Well decided that if I want to hit my goal of over 400whp on E85 I would need bigger injectors. Emailed the guys at fiveo and they were super helpful some of the best customer service i have ever had. Told me to just mail my 1000cc's in and they would send me 1200's and i just needed to pay the difference. Pretty sure with my set up and E85 should be able to hit 400whp

ssgmatt

Bought the AEM water/meth failsafe today. Want to be able to run my meth kit when I'm not near E85 and during the winter when the blends change. Should be able to do that now with the peace of mind of knowing that a clogged nozzle, dead pump, or low meth won't destroy my engine. I'll make sure that when I get home to take pictures of all the installs I'm going to have to do. If I'm missing anything that would put me to the 400whp mark let me know.

ssgmatt

Hit 360 on 91 and 380 on meth. wouldnt have had a problem hitting higher just ran out of maf sensor. Only running 19lbs on my "ebay" turbo. The turbo is a kinugawa and has been running strong for almost a year now. Is capable of a whole lot more!! only running 50% idc. Just bought a omni power and going speed desity this summer.

ssgmatt

Went with the turbo because i didnt want something everyone else had. Looked at reviews in england and they love them there and in austrailia. Its not really a "ebay" turbo it was around 1000 dollars and looking at it the quality seems really good. You can get 93 a few places but 91 is a sure thing. might get a e85 tune this spring.

ssgmatt

Went back on the dyno the other day and switched to speed density. Went from 360 on 91oct to 400 by just switching from maf to speed density, and the power comes on 1000rpm faster! Going to do a E85 or E98 tune in a couple months. should get 450-470.