Zack's '12 OBP STi Hatch, Da Money Pit

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
What affects the dyno numbers more: elevation or temperature? (And anything else that has a great impact)

Hot air and air at higher elevations both have a reduced amount of oxygen per measured volume. Both can affect performance.

Good idea bandit, I have plenty of tunnels...now I just have to decide if the toll cost is worth it or not. Probably will be though... ;)

The toll is definitely worth it.

Please video it as well. I'll get you one of mine this weekend and we shall compare to see who's EWG liked their tunnel better!!

ZackUSAF82

Will do man, not sure when I'll be heading that way but I'll definitely do a video when I do. I did open the car up a bit when I was running around earlier, runs great, extremely smooth power delivery. Still have a smidgeon of tip-in knock but it's not as consistent or bad as it was before. Very low RPM and the most I saw was -1.40. I just have came to realize that with our knock sensors it's just not possible to have no knock. Other than that though, it's great and the car seems to love the E85...other than a cold start, definitely had to crank over a couple more times than normal to fire up this morning. Definitely going to be running 93 in the winter, I don't want to have to deal with getting my start-up values tweaked.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Will do man, not sure when I'll be heading that way but I'll definitely do a video when I do. I did open the car up a bit when I was running around earlier, runs great, extremely smooth power delivery. Still have a smidgeon of tip-in knock but it's not as consistent or bad as it was before. Very low RPM and the most I saw was -1.40. I just have came to realize that with our knock sensors it's just not possible to have no knock. Other than that though, it's great and the car seems to love the E85...other than a cold start, definitely had to crank over a couple more times than normal to fire up this morning. Definitely going to be running 93 in the winter, I don't want to have to deal with getting my start-up values tweaked.

I dunno what your morning temps are right now but you shouldn't have any issues with starting this time of year. I have zero starting issues until about 30*.
You may want to have them look at your starting enrichments and fine tune them if your having difficulties.

ZackUSAF82

I dunno what your morning temps are right now but you shouldn't have any issues with starting this time of year. I have zero starting issues until about 30*.
You may want to have them look at your starting enrichments and fine tune them if your having difficulties.

Yeah, I just had to run out and it was the same thing again...and the idle kinda bounces all over the place right after startup up until it starts to warm up some. I'll shoot him an email and see if he can make some tweaks and see if we can get it running smoother.

ZackUSAF82

So I threw it in S# for a quick pull and all I can say is:

:tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard:

Wow, the power is amazing but the torque is unbelievable. If you had to take a dump, it would literally get squeezed out of you in 1st-3rd. Gross anaology but I'm a redneck...so say what you will. :p Also, the EWG screams like a wild banshee that has it's nads on fire...it's LOUD. Definitely need to do the tunnel video though I might go deaf making it... :lol: Man, I'm so glad I decided to go with E85, car runs great, the power is incredible...the only drawback is how shitty the gas mileage is. But I can deal with that, it's well worth it! LOVE IT!!!!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Please tunnel video asap!!!!!

ZackUSAF82

So I emailed IAG about my startup issues last night and low and behold I have a new map. Car started much better though it was still slightly warm...the real test will be tomorrow morning on a true cold start but I have an inkling from the way it fired up earlier that it should be fine now. I'll let you guys know tomorrow how it goes but I'm really impressed with Cleo, he's so much more responsive than Jorge was, it's definitely nice to have a tuner that genuinely cares about your car and your satisfaction with their tune. Good stuff!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Sweet! Ill be waiting for tomorrow morning then! :lol:

ZackUSAF82

Car started much better this morning and the idle is perfect, I still think it cranks a bit more than on pump but it's not enough that I'm worried about it. The only time it would matter is in the winter and I'll likely just run 93 in the colder months. Car just runs so smooth on E85, I love it...it's like it was meant to run on E85 all along. ;)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Does it sound any different at idle and higher rpm on e85? You said smell was first noticeable thing.

ZackUSAF82

Sound is about the same but it just seems smoother, could be the difference in tuners as well but it's definitely a lot smoother running now for sure. I like it a lot better, my previous tune was set up like a racecar for sure, the throttle response was insane. It was fun to drive if there was no traffic but if you were in traffic it was really annoying. It was also annoying on downshifts and deceleration as it wouldn't immediately drop off making engine braking a pain in the ass. The new tune is definitely more responsive than stock but it's just where it needs to be IMO. I definitely enjoy driving my car a lot more now for sure.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The gas stations are waiting for you to give them your money then! :lol:

ZackUSAF82

So since I know I'm going to need a clutch soon, I figure I might as well start talking about it...right now I'm leaning towards the Exedy Stage 1 HD, it's rated to 472 ft/lbs of torque and seems to have really good reviews from what I've found. It's also not as aggressive as the ACT/CM etc alternatives so it should feel pretty much like the stocker except having a heavier peddle. It's also very affordable considering how much the labor is going to be to install this bad boy. Anyone have any other recommendations or any cons with the above? Thanks for the help as always!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I drove a Rex with the ACT stage 1 clutch and I found it rather heavy and grabby. On off and not much in between.
That's the only experience I have with these cars other than stock.

ZackUSAF82

I drove a Rex with the ACT stage 1 clutch and I found it rather heavy and grabby. On off and not much in between.
That's the only experience I have with these cars other than stock.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of ACT's stuff to be honest, I had a stage 1 in a Shitsubishi I had and it was god awful. Just not a fan of their stuff, I just feel like it's overpriced and no better than CM, Exedy etc.

ZackUSAF82

Car is still running fine, I'm actually pretty pleased with my E85 mileage thus far, trying to decide how often I should run a tank of pump through it, I'm thinking every 3-5 tanks of E85. Other than that, nothing new on that side.

I will, however, be taking the car to the dealer tomorrow afternoon, my factory nav touchscreen has stopped working, it lets me touch objects but doesn't select them. Hopefully it's something they can fix but I have a feeling they'll be ordering me a new unit all together. We'll see, hopefully they'll still be cool with my car but they haven't seen it since I got tuned. Can't imagine how they could deny a warranty claim on the navi unit due to my mods though so I should be good to go.