TD_D mod journey. From stock to the 'bastardmobile'

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Can you post a log with 'Fuel Trim Immediate' and 'Fuel Trim Short' plus 'Maf Voltage', 'RPM', 'Calculated Load' and 'AFR'?

I can either prove or disprove what is going on.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Can you post a log with 'Fuel Trim Immediate' and 'Fuel Trim Short' plus 'Maf Voltage', 'RPM', 'Calculated Load' and 'AFR'?

I can either prove or disprove what is going on.

Definately - I'll setup the logcfg file on the Tactrix and plug those variables in. I'm doing CAN logging, so I can easily go up to 40 variables if there are more that will help. I'll check up on the fuel pump pressure, but from what I recall (it's a Bosch 044 IIRC) it's 4 bar.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I think there's definately merit in the your argument - I know he had to dial down the latency on the 750RC basically down to stock levels, which greatly improved the tune. BTW - this is all up at high altitude - 1600m.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
If you could add the 'open/closed loop switch', 'Throttle Position' and Throttle Position Delta' That would hep out great!:tup:

As far as the fuel pressure goes, is that what your fuel pressure regulator is set to right now 4bar/58psi? This would make your 750's flow at something like 866. This could be a combination of scale and latency.

I won't know for sure until I see a log though. When you do log don't give us any WOT pulls. Just one long log of normal driving and a little bit of highway also. Smooth throttle inputs please.

Thank you!
George

EDIT: I also forgot you are using the Tactrix. Fuel Trim short = A/F Correction and Fuel Trim Long = A/F Learned

Definately - I'll setup the logcfg file on the Tactrix and plug those variables in. I'm doing CAN logging, so I can easily go up to 40 variables if there are more that will help. I'll check up on the fuel pump pressure, but from what I recall (it's a Bosch 044 IIRC) it's 4 bar.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I think there's definately merit in the your argument - I know he had to dial down the latency on the 750RC basically down to stock levels, which greatly improved the tune. BTW - this is all up at high altitude - 1600m.

Last edited:

Td_d

Commander In Chief
No prob - some clarity - the throttle delta - would that be Throttle Sensor Voltage in Romraider? Any idea what 'open/closed loop switch' is in Romraider?

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Also - just to add spice to the mix, I'm spraying a 75% meth /25% water mix at the higher RPMs, by the way.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
If you don't have those parameters that is okay. Some roms don't have them. open/closed loop switch would be under the ECU Switches tab in the logger if it is there.

I do need throttle position for sure though

I'm not to concerned about the meth

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Cool - throttle position I definately have, plus throttle voltage, and all the others requested - no open / close under the ECU switches tab. I'll do some regular driving tomorrow, I'll see if I can get onto the highway as well.

Can't promise there won't be one or two WOT pulls in there ;-) It's awful on the low end, but it's pretty monstorous on the top end now, heading towards 400whp. Hard not to push it a little every once in a while - and zero knock...

Last edited:

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Oh Fuji - on a different note - that H6 drop in project I was talking about - I obviously was not paying attention - it is a porsche engine - for exactly the reason you mentioned. The funny thing is that the owner's building it for moderate power, and decent daily drive! Personally, I would go for outrageous power with a build like this... but, that's just me.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
That's what he was saying - that the fabrication for the job was costing a small fortune, but the client has deep pockets. Oh to have the funds to play around like this... now where was that web link to the titanium block Evo? :)

Td_d

Commander In Chief

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
I have a buddy that put a Dom 3xtr in his 04 sti with GSC stg1 cams (comparable to Kelford 264's) and these were his results:
untitled.jpg

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Hey TD! I am 100% sure that you have an issue with latency (look familiar Fuji?)

I filtered the data and plotted it all out and lo and behold, your trims follow a trend that shows the low end of the maf more negative then the top end which is a clear sign of maladjusted latency. I would like to thank you for finding and logging cl/ol fuel switch. That help me out a lot.

Have a look at the following file. I apologize for the large size. it is over 1.8mb, but you gave me an awful lot of data. :lol: You will see what i'm on about and you can see how well you can place a straight line through the curve.

http://www.drift-ready.com/Files/TrimPlot-TD_D-01-31-2011.xls

Question now is what do you want to do? Either you should speak to your tuner and have him fix it, or I could help you out and we can fix it together.:tup:

At some point I would like to talk to you about the rest of your tune. In it's current state your 750's are woefully inadequate for the job. Your tune is very aggressive. I really wouldn't keep those in for long and I would certainly not go WOT until you establish injector duty cycles are good. IMO I would put those 1000"s back in ASAP. I could set you up with a base map (based off of your current map) and we can take it from there. I'll leave it up to you!

Always glad to help...
George

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
George, you have to show me your ways. That all looks way too familiar. Tuning for my car will start this weekend, and I plan on having as many brains look at it past a certain point as possible. I plan on soaking up as much tuning wisdom as possible while my stock turbo approaches certain doom.

Not a problem man. The key is filtering the data to pick out the relevant stuff. The rest is easy. I could show you any time. Hell I'm due to go down to Virginia to see my dad soon. I could take a swing down to you. It's not that much farther.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I have beer! I'm betting I should probably buy a netbook at some point... I've been holding off on buying a laptops ever since my laptop died in iraq and best buy didnt warranty it.

Those BASTARDS!

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Thanks George - downloading now, and having a look. I did a couple of logs before plotting the variables you requested, and IDC's were maxing out at about 77%, but I think I'll do a couple more IDC related runs just to make sure. I think I'm definately going to take you up on the offer - let me chat to the mechanic first (we've both given up on the tuner, to be quite honest - we were worried about exactly the issues you raise!) - I was particularly worried when we dropped to the 750's. I'll revert asap.

Thanks! I love being part of this community, plus I learn something new everyday!

Td_d

Commander In Chief
I've had a look at the spreadsheet - I see exactly what you mean - if we sort out the latency, the error correlation can be flattened out, sorting out the top end and the bottom end.

I'm going to chat to the mechanic, agreed, I want those 1000's back in, and then a base map to work off would be very helpful. I would actually be quite keen on learning how to dial the injectors in, and clean up the tune thereafter.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
I have a buddy that put a Dom 3xtr in his 04 sti with GSC stg1 cams (comparable to Kelford 264's) and these were his results:
View attachment 711

Was that on a Mustang dyno? I'm also running meth, so once we sort out the injectors and drop those cams in, I should be able to push well past the mid 400's. I need to also start think about continuing to reduce under hood temps - I think a turbo sleeve / case is next on the order list.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Ok, mechanic's trying to source some new ID1000's for me (those one already moved). I'll log some IDCs - if they're kosher for the moment, and it takes a little time to get the new 1000's in, would you be willing to help me dial in these 750's (and then the 1000's when they're on)?

Am I correct in assuming, looking at the way the trims shift from negative to positive that the latencies are too high at the moment?

Last edited:

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Was that on a Mustang dyno? I'm also running meth, so once we sort out the injectors and drop those cams in, I should be able to push well past the mid 400's. I need to also start think about continuing to reduce under hood temps - I think a turbo sleeve / case is next on the order list.

yes, Cobb in Austin.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Ok, managed to log some IDC over lunchtime - looking fine - absolute maximum was 83% with at WOT with high engine load - so well within the comfort zone. If I want to push higher boost, will definately need the 1000's to give it some headroom. So - until the 1000's come in, I would be very keen to try and sort the tune on the 750's. ECU pulled a little timing at the top - although I suspect this may be a leftover from the stock injectors, as FLKC takes a while to come down. Zero FBKC, so not a worry in anycase - if it is from the current tune will probably need to dial the timing down 05.-1 degree between 5000-7000 RPMs.

George - I am at your mercy! :lol:

I assume that the first step would be to reduce the latency, and then do another set of A/F runs to see the corrections?

Here's the latency table as it stands. Injector flow constant is 714cc/min. And the fuel pump pressure, BTW is 3 bar.

Untitled-1.jpg

ARRRRRGGGGGHHH... how the hell do I post tables in here?

Last edited: