TD_D mod journey. From stock to the 'bastardmobile'

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Would be great if you could find out about the setup, always good to have a reference.

I will. I will text him tonight.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Hey Oren!

This is the setup he has...

http://www.maperformance.com/manley...e-stroke-billet-crank-manley-ra-ej25-75b.html

It's this but he has the turbo tuff rods instead of the "H" beam.

This kit comes with everything you need for only $2199. More if you go with the H beam plus or the TT rods but still a good deal in my book.

A cheaper route would use the stock crank from a JDM sti 2.0. I'm not sure if the USDM wrx cranks are forged but I think they are and in that case you can go with that.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I wouldn't go that high in compression. You won't be able to make as much boost and timing unless you are using straight race fuel or ethanol. I wouldn't even do it on meth. You would only be able to run smaller turbos at that point. And by smaller I suggest something smaller than a 35R.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Nice info and Interesting material :tup:

No I have never tuned a car with 272's and 9.8:1 pistons but I have tuned many turbo applications with 272 cams and 9.5:1 pistons. As well as many other turbo applications and even said the resulting DCR is still to high for my taste. I was never able to produce aggressive boost and or timing with them. I was always able to produce more power and torque with lower compression pistons and high levels of boost and timing. One thing consider is that even the slightest change in cranking pressure has profound effects on combusted pressure and when you add boost pressure to the mix it is even more of an effect.

I have found that static compression above 9.5:1 is not ideal for larger turbos or high boost and that is with 272 cams, but of course we are talking pump gas here as well. The other thing is valve advance will likely not be taken into much consideration considering that above 4600rpm you will be at or near zero degrees on the intake. Exhaust will see something like 10-17 degrees but as you say I have no idea what effect that will have on DCR.

In any case I will stick with my own conclusion because that is how I am seeing it in the real world. It would be nice to experiment though but I can't do that anymore because my laboratory blew up six times already and I got rid of it. :tard:

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Agreed dude. That sounds like a smart idea. With that setup will your fuel system be able to keep up with it? the 7670 has some serious flow over the Dom 3 so you might want to make sure you have enough injector head room and fuel pump ability to push the fuel in. New fuel rails might be a good idea at this point as well if you don;t already have them that is.. :)

Damn, I go to sleep and this thread takes off!

Already have upgraded rails, and 1200cc injectors, should cope ;) Only thing is I'm not convinced the Bosch fuel pump will handle (300l/hr if I'm not mistaken).

Td_d

Commander In Chief
I agree on rails, but think he should rewire his fuel pump to have a boost actuated switch to 14V before changing out injectors. Just a keep it simple mentality, and a mod that will make sure he's getting the most out of his efforts without overspending. And since Oren will be tuning the car himself, I don't think a simple injector swap and retune in the event that the injectors are too small would be an issue. What I would consider in his case is the flow rate of his meth nozzle possibly being too small; IE swapping to direct port injection and moving his IAT sensor to where it needs to be. One I think your meth setup and keeping the IAT sensor where it was is not so much a good idea. Maybe put it where the TGV motors were? It would be rather easy to modify the weld-on KSTech plates for this purpose.

Yeah - meth injection is being reinstalled in any case (have an AEM kit now), so definitely relocating and IAT sensor definitely moving - TGV is a good spot. I will definitely need a bigger nozzle - currently running a 6 - 6 or 8 ideal for a Dom 3, so will need larger. Have a couple of nozzles with the kit, so good timing.

I'm also finally going to install a decent FPR, so I can always bump the base pressure up to get more flow (but frankly 1200 on gas is plenty). I was thinking of bumping up the base pressure to get better spray pattern at low pulse widths - have not had an issue with the latencies being too low (and still have some headroom), but I think the spray pattern was not ideal.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
I wouldn't go that high in compression. You won't be able to make as much boost and timing unless you are using straight race fuel or ethanol. I wouldn't even do it on meth. You would only be able to run smaller turbos at that point. And by smaller I suggest something smaller than a 35R.

Wary of going too high with the compression too - local experience not great, basically because we have really shitty fuel (the best you can get is 91AKI). I still use Toluene to this day, with every tank to get to ~ 93AKI.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Let's see I can get 93, 100, 115, and oh yeah E85. :)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
That's why I asked bro. I knew you had tuned a few higher compression engines with cams. I also know the 9.8:1 pistons were made for engines with cams and higher octane...

I really think that kind of stuff is something that few people have actually messed with and I'm still trying to figure out the DCR of that kind of setup. I know it would work fine with meth all the time or on e85... just trying to figure out if it is viable on pump gas. a set of 282/280 cams would lower the DCR even futher, but I'm not sure if it will be enough for pump gas. Like I said, I'm not even sure of my use of these calculators and wanted to kind of stir the pot around here. I may just have to research this even more.

BTW I hope I wasn't sounding condescending in any way. I never mean it. In fact I take everything you say with the highest regard :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The thing I like most about talking to you is you make make me think about things I either forgot or never would consider. I must admit I think I need more time with higher compression piston applications... I'm just not willing to experiment on someone else's car for the sake of educating myself... which is why I subscribe to older tuning knowledge for that aspect.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Nope - you blow your own engines up doing that :lol:

Rich coming from me at the moment, chuckle...

Yeah but if you look at the ratio it is 6:1 George to engine ratio :lol:

Your one motor lasted longer than my six combined... I'd say your doing good! :tup:

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Slowly coming along...

And in other news, I've reached my disassembly goal for the moment - 112 new tables and parameters added to open source tuning, meaning I have all the parameters available in COBB's ATR. :D

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344809509.663634.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344809509.663634.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Damn, it's been a while... work has totally owned me for the past 3 / 4 months, life's not feeling very balanced at the moment :(

Car's still under the knife, serves me right for going big build again. I'm going to get flayed for this (Fuji...) but I'm basically going 2.7l stroker, big ass twinscroll turbo, FMIC and a whole lot more.

To curb the withdrawal symptoms, been very busy with disassembly on the side. Quite amped, I've discovered something not yet available on OS or COBB - the AVLS logic. Not applicable here, for us FI crowd, but could be quite handy for squeezing some extra torque out for the NA H6 and 2.5l crowd.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I thought you left me. :(

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Never, JJ :lol:

Too much work... way too much work... there's got to be more to life than work, especially at 40 :(

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Never, JJ :lol:

Too much work... way too much work... there's got to be more to life than work, especially at 40 :(

I agree 100% my friend.