TD_D mod journey. From stock to the 'bastardmobile'

Vermont

Dude your car sounds like a beast. Also hitting a load of 2 at under 3k rpms on that turbo is very impressive. But I do wonder if you are pushing the timing to hard down low like that... Do you have any problems with knock in the mid range?

I still need to add boost and timing back onto my tune for my STI. but i just haven't had the time recently. projects for school, death in the family and then finals so It wont be until next week will i be able to turn the boost up finally.... since you are using RR I was just wondering how good the RR dyno tool is? I was thinking of using it on Grinders STi this Saturday.

Last edited:

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Hey Vermont - nope, I've had no knock issues in the mid range recently. Cleaning up my tip in enrichment and VE tables pretty much eliminated any knock in the low / spool up region. I get the occasional tip in knock, but very occasionally.

Yeah, she's running damn nice with the weather having cooled down a little. SD was a pain tuning in from scratch with the stupid levels of heat we had over summer, and with temps now being cooler and much more stable, it's been easier to nail down the VE tables, and tweak the IAT compensation tables to deal with some of the headache with temp variations. SD is damn sensitive to heat. But oh so nice ;)

I've never actually used the RR dyno tool - apparently it's pretty decent - I just prefer the interface of virtual dyno.

Sorry to hear about the death in the family, everything alright?

Vermont

Hey Vermont - nope, I've had no knock issues in the mid range recently. Cleaning up my tip in enrichment and VE tables pretty much eliminated any knock in the low / spool up region. I get the occasional tip in knock, but very occasionally.

Yeah, she's running damn nice with the weather having cooled down a little. SD was a pain tuning in from scratch with the stupid levels of heat we had over summer, and with temps now being cooler and much more stable, it's been easier to nail down the VE tables, and tweak the IAT compensation tables to deal with some of the headache with temp variations. SD is damn sensitive to heat. But oh so nice ;)

I've never actually used the RR dyno tool - apparently it's pretty decent - I just prefer the interface of virtual dyno.

Sorry to hear about the death in the family, everything alright?

If you keep going on and on about how awesome SD you are going to make me do it as well.... :D Are you running the straight SD for both OL and CL or are you blending it with MAF for CL? From what I was reading there are drive ability problems with SD in CL so I was thinking of using my MAF for CL and SD for OL but I am not sure yet if I wanna go that route. Are our cars set up to use the SD patch or are there any extra sensors we need to buy for it? Does any one have SD tool to use for the VE table? Why would the VE tables be messed up by high ambient temps? What types of problems do you run into with high temps and SD?

I think I might just DL Virtual Dyno since that is what every one seems to be using nowadays.

My grandma died a little while ago. All good now but I had to drive up to Vermont on one of my weekends to give my dad a hand with some stuff up there. Then recently for the funeral I was talking care of three different houses as the family here in Virginia went up. I was unable to go due to school. Thanks for asking though dude.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
If you keep going on and on about how awesome SD you are going to make me do it as well.... :D Are you running the straight SD for both OL and CL or are you blending it with MAF for CL? From what I was reading there are drive ability problems with SD in CL so I was thinking of using my MAF for CL and SD for OL but I am not sure yet if I wanna go that route. Are our cars set up to use the SD patch or are there any extra sensors we need to buy for it? Does any one have SD tool to use for the VE table? Why would the VE tables be messed up by high ambient temps? What types of problems do you run into with high temps and SD?

It is awesome! I'm running straight SD, working fine for me. You can use the patch as is, with some tuning of the MAF IAT compensation tables - better with a CAI than stock box, the worst being a hot intake. There are a couple of ways in which IAT's affect, but the biggie is basically between the heat the IAT sensor reports to the Ecu, and what the actual IAT is at the manifold. Heat soak is the pain - basically, the IAT heat soaks, Ecu thinks hot air, less dense, less air mass. In reality, the air going into the engine post intercooler is much cooler, so you lean out (and the same effect in reverse). There's a great write up on it in the Cobb SD manual.

The best location is in the intake manifold, nicely insulated so at it does not heat soak from the manifold itself. That's why stock SD setups always have the IAT sensors in the manifold. Someone just had the bright idea of using one of the pcv ports, a plug, and the IAT sensor from a gutted old MAF sensor. Drilled it in, insulated, and popped it in the manifold - on the RR forums (I think in the Carberry IAT thread). otherwise, you can get a GM IAT sensor and splice it to the factory wiring - you still need to find a spot to mount it (problem with a FMIC setup, no space post intercooler)

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Oh - didn't answer one question - yes, I have a whole set of spreadsheets to tune SD, closed and open loop.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Man, I love cold weather. Well, cold in South African terms ;)

IAT's in the 70's, and my engine load number are edging toward 5 again.

Did I mention how much I love this car?

Td_d

Commander In Chief
You got a link for that? If I can get an easier option, I'd do mine tomorrow to get rid of the IAT variability...

Grinder34

Track Monkey

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Yeah - I saw those - was toying with the idea - a bit wary though, as I run meth injection, and the IAT sensor would be damn close to the spray... Maybe just paranoid, but I'd be worried about cavitation, I just don't trust the silicone hoses that much.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Yup - that's pretty much my plan, when I can get some time to pull it together. So many things I still need to install - I've got a brand new AEM meth kit with failsafe and tank that's been sitting in my study for 4 weeks. Work gets in the way of life.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
So, after starting to try and find these months back, and then leaving it for other research, I was requested to try and find these tables for a USDM 2010 STi.

I picked up where I left off, and managed to track down the fueling deceleration / overrun routines - just published it on the Romraider forums.

So one more set of variables that O/S now has ;)

here are the tables I have for over run.

Screenshot-2011-07-27_15.33.55.jpg

Screenshot-2011-07-27_15.34.09.jpg

Screenshot-2011-07-27_15.34.22.jpg

Screenshot-2011-07-27_15.34.33.jpg

Vermont

Wow! Nice work man! I swear you and George at the for front of pushing the Open source with more and more tables and features! Keep up the awesome work man! So with these tables you could potentially richen up the over run to nice burbles and back fires like race cars.... :D Honestly cant think of any other reason to tough this table...

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Thanks Vermont, appreciated!

Yup - you can use them to some extent (at least the fueling part, not ignition) to simulate antilag. Pop, Pop ;)

The reason why I was requested to find them actually was because a long standing mechanic / tuner on the RR forums was having problems with a recently modded vehicle out of his shop that had 2000cc injectors put on, and would stall very specifically on deceleration coming to a standstill / idle. Since the stock values are at 950 rpm, it was too low stock. He had used this trick on the 16bit ecu many times, to great effect - these tables have just never been defined for the 32bit ecus.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Wow! Nice work man! I swear you and George at the for front of pushing the Open source with more and more tables and features! Keep up the awesome work man! So with these tables you could potentially richen up the over run to nice burbles and back fires like race cars.... :D Honestly cant think of any other reason to tough this table...

Me? hardly :lol:... I can't take any credit for what the guys at RR are doing... I can only say I can take what they do and put it into a tangible explanation for other users and and to implement it in the real world. I have little connection to the OS community really. :tup: I should be more involved but they have things well in hand over there without me mucking up the chemistry.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Just managed to dig out knock sum per cylinder in my Rom. Verified for all the wrong reasons :|

Td_d

Commander In Chief
So, my baby's gone in a for a long overdue service and general checkup (and the AEM meth kit finally being installed, IPW based injection, and failsafe - finally). It's been so bloody busy at work I just haven't had the time to even take her in...

Discovered that the rocker cover gasket was leaking (and there I was thinking the worst about oil consumption, modded Subaru's make pessimists out of us all :tard: ). I think this would explain a couple of the closed loop fueling issues I've been having - am I correct in assuming that it would basically cause a vaccuum leak?

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Oh well, can always happen - looks like the engine spun a bearing, I'm thinking the oil pick up tube cracked, mechanic will let me know as soon as we open it up. Not the worst of timing, I'm going to be out of the country for a couple of weeks, so they can get going on it.

And as always, make lemonade with lemons - big upgrade time! Going to do some thinking this weekend, but taking the next leap to going big now:

- Front mount, TMIC is at it's absolute max at the moment
- GT35 sized turbo - I'm thinking Garret twinscroll gtx35-103 with a rotated manifold (and time to do some phenolic spacers methinks)
- CAMS. Finally. I'm thinking S2 with springs so I can build a high revving block. I could go crazy with 280's but I think that would compeletly take it out of road driveability range, so probably 272's.
- Shop figures use the opportunity to stroke it to 2.6 or 2.7l.

On another note, found all the knock sensitivity tables that are work in progress on the latest COBB AP's, full set of fuel overrun tables, ignition overrun tables, Misfire threshold tables, new idle tables (idle error sensitivity).

Grinder34

Track Monkey
That sucks about the bearing; sorry to hear that!

But, I always thought the stroked motors didnt rev particularly well? Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I was definitely under that impression.