Tim's Twin Scroll 06 STI: Parts review, parts ordered and more parts to come

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
LOL Your ride comfort THAT bad huh?

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Straight JDM yo!! lol Why'd you go with 10/8k's for DD??? I had to get softer suspension cuz my wife hates riding in the car. I tend to not watch the road cuz her tig o bitties are always bouncing and jiggling so I stare:tard: If she gives the approval of the AST's then I'm golden...as long as they can handle the performance too.

toomes

I am already used to what I have now but to handle the power of the car now I needed the higher spring rates. Wife can suffer to be safe ;)

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
I talked to TiC and told them I DD the car but love taking it to it's limits/spirted driving and that I'd plan to do HPDE. They were the ones that recommended going with the 5k/4k and said it would be too easy to order stiffer springs should those not hold up to the abuse. I rode in a buddies STI in 07 that had BC coilovers and they were ok. Still better than what I'm rolling on now lol

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Sick Tim. I'll give you the low down after I install mine and see how they ride.
Either way it's going to be completely different as my AST's are going to be custom revlaved compared to your Fortunes. I'm still interested to hear how bad you rattle everything inside your car lol

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Well the car went to Cobb. It had a bad front o2 sensor. It got replaced and is healthy and strong again.

The ast's were picked up and packaged for shipping here to Germany. My mom said they are HEAVY. Black struts with gold springs. Cobb said we won't need rear camber plates and recommended just getting fronts. That will save us some money. Looks like the car will be getting shipped toward the end of July/ beginning of Aug.

Cobb also enabled launch control and flat foot shifting and all maps. I'm going crazy waiting for the car to get here!!

bugeye_fever

I've been on the TIC AST's since December, dude, I think your going to like the AST's! Mine are 7k/5k swift springs but TIC, they told me the same thing, it will be easy to up the spring rates when you want to get on the track more. I'd say they're a little rough on the streets, but that is definetly all subjective. Plus the roads around Cherry Point suck. I'm excited for you though, I think you'll love 'em!

EDIT- I got a buddy around here who DD's a wrx with 12k/10k D2's. He says they aren't bad although I haven't ridden in it to compare. Who knows?

Last edited:

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Are yours revalved by any chance? I told Cobb about the group buy TiC was having and gave them the link. AST is really close to Cobb in Plano and they said "dude, we can just ask AST for a STI specific revalve and include everything TiC does to make the AST's the SST's for the same price and not have to pay for any shipping" so that's what I did. The roads here in Germany are GREAT!! The autobahn...soooo smooth. Even after they repair the road, it's still so smooth unlike TX where you can feel where each patch is. Very rarely do I ever feel an imperfection in the road, it's nice. I probly should have upped the spring rate but oh well, the car wont be here forever.

bugeye_fever

Yep, mine are the revalved ones from the TIC group buy. Thats pretty cool that Cobb is so close to AST, I'm sure they'll do a great job on the valving. I looked at alot of coilovers, but TIC sold me when I read how much r&d they did on the valving. I'm sooo jealous of the nice roads you have over there. I remember when I was in Japan, the roads were pretty awesome there too.

As far as the spring rates, you may have been able to up them its true, but It'll still ride really. The knowledge that TIC gave me on the handling/comfort issue was that on a street car you don't have to run super high spring rates, you can make up for it with big swaybars. That'll give you compliance from the softer springs when your going straight, and good roll resistance from the big bars in the turns. Plus if they're adjustable you can tune your handling a bit with the swaybars.

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
I've had the whiteline 24mm f/r sways on my wishlist for some time now :)

toomes

I got around to installing the front and the back coilovers in the car. Since my rear fenders aren't rolled, I have the back on 32 or something like that, MAX hardness. While the front is on the softest setting, I quote my wife, "These are nicer than your Swifts", which were my progressive Swift sports on stock struts. Then I put the rear on MAX and she was like..."What the ffffff?" hahaha

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Haha she wasnt feeling the full stiff setting in the rear? I want my ride height around 13.75f 14.5r. I should be able to have a very comfortable ride with no rolling :) you have stiffffff springs though too.

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
:tard: lol that sucks for you :tard: You should tell her that. "You wouldn't like it if it were always soft!!"

Undecisive

How's the 3076 twin scroll spool? Pretty quick? I'm looking into a 3076 TS, just had that question, trying to figure out the powerband for time trials.

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
I should be able to pick it up on Friday :) it's been so long!!

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
You were there that night I ran Mark?? lol

I can't wait to toy around with some of these "big boys" ;)