Two issues, need opinions please!!

LapisSTI

So having purchased said 2017 STI, I now have two issues.

1. It is 338 miles from J City TN, to Clarksville TN. Do I drive or tow the car?

2. Do I follow COBB's instructions on break in and follow it to the T much like the factory calls for but in a more detailed manner? Do I run the factory oil for 1K miles or 6 like they ask for? or use a break in oil for those 0-100 miles then 100-500 miles the same and again at 1k but using synthetic?

I've searched to find no resolve to this thought in my mind. On my Boosted cars I have ran them differently but all of them in the end worked out perfect. As this is not of the same breed of cars I would like some user input. Thank you and god bless!

0-100 miles, run engine very lightly, no more that 1-2 psi boost, no more than 28% TPS and 3500 RPM, change engine oil and filter. Do your best to vary the engine RPM and decelerate the engine under vacuum as frequently as you accelerate the engine, you want your engine to break-in evenly.
100-500 miles, run engine very lightly, no more that 3-5 psi boost, no more than 40% TPS and 4500 RPM Change engine oil and filter. Look for more glittery material in oil. Do your best to vary the engine RPM and decelerate the engine under vacuum as frequently as you accelerate the engine; down shift the vehicle to come to a stop rather than using just the brakes.
500-1000 miles, run engine more aggressively, no more that 6-8 psi boost, no more than 50% TPS and 5000 RPM Change engine oil and filter. Look for less glittery material in oil. Datalog the engine, look for knock events, etc.

-Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm picking my car up in Colorado and then almost immediately drive to Maryland. I plan on spending a day or two in the area to put some miles on it before I jump on the highway. From all the research I have found I feel comfortable doing this. Lots of engine breaking for the first 1000 miles and I won't beat on it hard or run it over 4K as recommended. Then, change my oil as soon as I get to Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=1]IGOTASTi[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION]

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
[MENTION=3416]WRB_STi[/MENTION] would have a way better idea than I would. He's built a ton of engines.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

LapisSTI

I'm picking my car up in Colorado and then almost immediately drive to Maryland. I plan on spending a day or two in the area to put some miles on it before I jump on the highway. From all the research I have found I feel comfortable doing this. Lots of engine breaking for the first 1000 miles and I won't beat on it hard or run it over 4K as recommended. Then, change my oil as soon as I get to Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I somehow feel that with my time and experience(grain of salt) lol feel obligated to not drive that range without certain measures in place to avoid long stints of driving. I also know that materials love to affect engines as I was even reading up on the new corvette Z06 needing a very soon and warranted oil change to remove contaminant from the oil. That being said.

I do feel an early oil change is due and I am not claiming this to be a race engine or comparatively close, but I do feel that doing it soon enough with the correct measures also allows me to monitor that break in as well. And using an oil to allow me to do that like something with zinc would help a ton with break in. <----- My opinion lol.

I also know that I will assume those who have done this before can elaborate some in this concern that I may have and just tell me to shut up lol.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You should be just fine to drive it for the distance you have to drive. Try not to keep it at one speed and vary your load from time to time. Do not go into significant boost and keep your RPM's below 4500. When ever you come to a stop or have to coast. Let the engine do the braking by down shifting to slow the vehicle. This will draw a vacuum on the cylinders and pull oil into the rings.

Do not use break-in oil. I would change your oil at 1000 miles or before if that makes you comfortable. Do not use any synthetic till 3000 miles. We usually recommend Shell Rotella "T" conventional oil for break-in. It has a high concentration of zinc and has very good qualities in other aspects.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
when i bought my WRX new i kept it under 4k for the first 1000 miles, changed the oil, then under 5-5500k for the next 2000 miles and did another oil change. like holy said varying the engine load and not keeping at the same speed.

everyone has their own opinions on breaking in an engine. most dont do anything at all so any sort of caution for the first few thousand miles is already better than most. im sure you will do fine with breaking it in and then you really get to enjoy it!

:peelout:

LapisSTI

You should be just fine to drive it for the distance you have to drive. Try not to keep it at one speed and vary your load from time to time. Do not go into significant boost and keep your RPM's below 4500. When ever you come to a stop or have to coast. Let the engine do the braking by down shifting to slow the vehicle. This will draw a vacuum on the cylinders and pull oil into the rings.

Do not use break-in oil. I would change your oil at 1000 miles or before if that makes you comfortable. Do not use any synthetic till 3000 miles. We usually recommend Shell Rotella "T" conventional oil for break-in. It has a high concentration of zinc and has very good qualities in other aspects.

Something along the lines of 5w40?

Here is what Im following for my IAG Block. I know its different but cant hurt to throw it into the mix for more info.... :) I would follow the cobb

BREAK-IN OIL CHANGES*Permissible Break-In Oils: Motul Break-In Oil (Preferred), Royal Purple Break-In, Brad Penn Break-In.• Run Conventional 5w30 fluid and OEM or Purolator Pureone filter for first 50 miles, as outlined above.• Change oil to break-in oil at 50 miles (as highlighted above), and replace oil filter and crush washer.*• Change oil with break-in oil at 500 miles on your new engine, and replace oil filter and crush washer.• Change oil with break-in oil at 1500 miles and replace oil filter and crush washer.• Finally, change oil at 3000 to Motul 5w40 Synthetic and replace oil filter and crush washer.• From this point forward, use Motul 5w40 Synthetic and change oil and filter every 2500-3000 miles.• Make a habit of always checking your fluids every few hundred miles. Built engines can consume oil, thoughmost IAG street-clearance engines should use less than 1 quart of oil per 3000 mile oil change after break-in. Ifyour oil consumption deviates, please let us know