white smoke from exhaust

Started about a month ago when code p0011 started flashing. Seem when I exert pressure on the gas pedal and the boost climbs higher than 5 psi when I go let off the gas a cloud of whit smoke shoots out the exhaust pipe .I have a couple of clips will try to upload later

TK-421

If I recall correctly P0011 is Intake Camshaft Position Timing Bank 1

This code is most commonly cause by a lack of maintenance and has to do with the AVCS oiling system. I've heard of and seen many engine failures due to the screens on the banjo bolts becoming fouled and plugged up.

What are your mods if any?

When I first threw p0011 I did some research and removed all three banjo bolts, the one to the turbo was a little dirty. When I bought the car had K&N typhoon intake which I just recently replaced with stock intake. Had a GReddy BOV but has been replaced with stock BPV, cat-back exhaust and UEL headers. My inlet pipe has one of the ports broken and sealed it is the hose that goes the Y-pipe.
Missing hose.jpgSmoke.jpg With mods that were on the car have been running OTS map stage 2 on AP. Do have a silicone inlet pipe ordered and that will be going on with in the next few days.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Is there any way you can get a video of the smoke and how much is coming out?

White smoke usually denotes water, blue smoke denotes oil but can often be mistaken for white smoke and black smoke denotes rich condition.

Can you smell the smoke? If it is sweet smelling it is coolant. If it smells like low tied then it is oil. if it smells like a harsh chemical then it is gasoline. Maybe have someone drive behind you and take a whiff or snap a photo.

The only reason I suggested coolant is because this scenario sound oddly familiar to my dilemma a few years back

Will work on getting a video this weekend, inlet pipe did come in so will install tomorrow. The only time it smokes is when I step on the gas pedal and I go over 5 PSI's like when passing a car on the highway.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Yikes! That's not good.

didn't want to hear that but know something is wrong. that was a short burst if I stay on it longer will be more smoke. But like I said it's only when I am aggressive on the gas pedal if I drive easy it doesn't smoke.

Last edited by a moderator:
This car try to baby her and she fights back couple of weeks ago the fuel tank light came on at around 330 miles so pull in to gas station to fill up. Pull lever to release door nope, walk around and try again nothing, again walk around pull lever listen that it is engaging it soes but when i check the gas lid nope. So luckily I have two screw drivers to pry door and the other one to release lever. Now paint chipped around gas door and removed gas door till cable is fixed which is at the bottom of the list

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Damn sorry to hear about the issues youve been having. Not cool

Thanks for all the help and advice, [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION] you had mentioned in a previous post that the PCV system needed an overhaul. In my rush to get the car running I only changed the PCV valve. well today while changing the OEM inlet pipe to a silicone one I decided to look at the PCV hoses. Was not a pretty site lots of sludge. Sludge.jpg sludge 2.jpg the first one is sludge from the Y-pipe and the breather hoses the second one is from the tube the breather hoses to the heads. No smoke on the way home so think that was it. But now have to order a new purge control solenoid, it's my signature when working on my car tend to break something never fails. Amazingly made it home without throwing a CEL.

TK-421

Glad to see that you were able to diagnose the issue, good luck with your repairs

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask

Thanks, got lucky found the solenoid from blown motor in tool box while cleaning out the garage, hooked up generic hoses doesn't look pretty now but she running a lot better