02 Frankensubie Monstrosity

SudoSTI

SUCCESS! Initial startup went great! Still haven't found my coolant leak so it got pretty warm so I shut it off. I even took it (very gently) down the street and back!

Edit: The page wouldn't upload so I double posted I guess haha.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Find that leak and get us a video! :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I feel all warm and fuzzy inside! :lol:

I can't wait to start getting my grubby hands in that CarBerry rom!!!

SUCCESS! Initial startup went great! Still haven't found my coolant leak so it got pretty warm so I shut it off. I even took it (very gently) down the street and back!

Edit: The page wouldn't upload so I double posted I guess haha.

Check the water pump hoses. That where I usually find small coolant leeks on our motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess the better question is, what area is it leaking from? If you let me know that I can tell you where to look.

SudoSTI

There is at least one for the coolant line that goes from the thermostat housing over to the oil cooler. Not sure if that's the only one and it's just spraying like crazy while under pressure or if there are more.

SudoSTI

Well I got that one to stop leaking with a fresh hose and clamp. But now the water pump itself is leaking. -_-

Get new gasket and and you get to do timing belt again. My condolences.

SudoSTI

It has 30k miles on it and looks to be in great shape but I'm going to use this as an opportunity to do a complete timing kit with a new water pump. I was going to order the Gates kit as that is apparently an excellent kit with the exception of the water pump and thermostat gaskets which I've been told to go OEM Subaru on those two. I'm also going to replace the cam and crank seals while I'm in there as I think they're all weeping slightly. Even if they aren't, better safe than sorry.

Taking the cams off can be a royal pita. Make sure you have the company 23 cam tools. Makes the job 10000 times easier

SudoSTI

Yup, I know a few people that I can borrow them from. Really hoping I don't strip out the cam bolts though.

Yup, I know a few people that I can borrow them from. Really hoping I don't strip out the cam bolts though.
You can borrow my cam lock and wrenches but I only have the standard intake/exhaust & AVCS intake wrenches. I think they will work for your engine but double check their site for the ones you need (my tools are for the 05 sti). If you need another hand let me know as well.

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

Well I just realized that if your only changing the timing belt and components the cam lock should be the only thing you need so I guess the cam wrench models doesn't matter lol.

Where you changing the cam seals as well I saw your post in the fb group?

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

Well I just realized that if your only changing the timing belt and components the cam lock should be the only thing you need so I guess the cam wrench models doesn't matter lol.

Where you changing the cam seals as well I saw your post in the fb group?

It has 30k miles on it and looks to be in great shape but I'm going to use this as an opportunity to do a complete timing kit with a new water pump. I was going to order the Gates kit as that is apparently an excellent kit with the exception of the water pump and thermostat gaskets which I've been told to go OEM Subaru on those two. I'm also going to replace the cam and crank seals while I'm in there as I think they're all weeping slightly. Even if they aren't, better safe than sorry.

He said here that he was doing the cam seals and the crank seal as well. [MENTION=4986]SudoSTI[/MENTION] as long as you have the wrenches it will make taking the cam bolt off way easier since there is no play in the cam gear like taking it off with a timing belt.