02 Frankensubie Monstrosity

SudoSTI

@Doppelganger that would be outstanding. I'm pretty sure one of the wrenches is all I would need. We borrowed Shane's wrenches to do Garvie's head gaskets on his old Legacy and the wrench not for AVCS worked like a champ.

Yes I just picked up all four cam and one crank seal from a guy locally this morning so I will need wrenches to pull the cam gears off to get to the seals. I'll message you in a bit about snagging those from you. You're also more than welcome to come over and lend a hand if you'd like. I probably won't have time to start on it until Friday though. Beverages are always provided to those willing to help. :)

@Doppelganger that would be outstanding. I'm pretty sure one of the wrenches is all I would need. We borrowed Shane's wrenches to do Garvie's head gaskets on his old Legacy and the wrench not for AVCS worked like a champ.

Yes I just picked up all four cam and one crank seal from a guy locally this morning so I will need wrenches to pull the cam gears off to get to the seals. I'll message you in a bit about snagging those from you. You're also more than welcome to come over and lend a hand if you'd like. I probably won't have time to start on it until Friday though. Beverages are always provided to those willing to help. :)
Ok I can grab the tools from my mom's house when I drop the kids off on Friday morning worst case scenario you can swing by my work and pick the tools up if our schedules collide.

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

SudoSTI

Well thanks to [MENTION=2822]Doppelganger[/MENTION] and the use of his tools I got everything swapped out and no more leak!

... but now it won't start. -_- So I get to tear it apart and recheck my timing marks. Only downside to the reverse intake manifold is having to remove my intercooler pipe and alternator to get to the timing components. So I can't test it before reassembling everything.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Oh man, that sucks... Well... you should take a break and relax a bit... and in the meantime... ship me the laptop holder! :rofl:

SudoSTI

I pulled it out today! I'll see how compact I can make it and fit it in a box tonight and get you some quotes tomorrow!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Try and make it fit inside of an USPS large flat rate priority box. It's like $18 shipped. 3 days shipping and includes tracking and insurance.

SudoSTI

Found it. Apparently I broke a couple teeth off the crank sprocket. I'm sure the ECU doesn't like not knowing where the crank is.

Also, [MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION] I got it off and in a box, just have to get a quote. I'm trying I swear! :lol:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yup That'll do it!

SudoSTI

Fixed again! Got a sprocket from Andy at The Barn and that was the problem. I even drove it down to Vatozone for coolant system flusher and Slaveway for distilled water!

Also, George, it idles about 2k until I work the throttle some. Then it wants to idle like 3k+ so not sure if that's the startup map or I need to make sure my throttle cable isn't sticking. Also also, I haven't run the code for the CEL, but my speedo doesn't work so I'm pretty sure it's being caused by the POS VSSPro not working putting it into limp mode because it can't verify the speed. I'm going to look into getting the MAPDCCD VSS module instead. I've only heard great things about that unit.

Fixed again! Got a sprocket from Andy at The Barn and that was the problem. I even drove it down to Vatozone for coolant system flusher and Slaveway for distilled water!

Also, George, it idles about 2k until I work the throttle some. Then it wants to idle like 3k+ so not sure if that's the startup map or I need to make sure my throttle cable isn't sticking. Also also, I haven't run the code for the CEL, but my speedo doesn't work so I'm pretty sure it's being caused by the POS VSSPro not working putting it into limp mode because it can't verify the speed. I'm going to look into getting the MAPDCCD VSS module instead. I've only heard great things about that unit.

Sounds like a vaccine leak. Check all your hose connections for a vaccine leak. After startup and warm up, it should idle around 750.

Also when pinging or mentioning someone use there id preceded by@. So calling [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] .
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SudoSTI

It does... sometimes... Sometimes it wants to idle at 3k+, others just 2k, when I took it to Vatozone and parked it, it was idling at 750. It's not just idle though. Like I can have it in gear and completely let off the throttle and it'll cruise on its own. Sometimes the rpms decrease if I let off the throttle, other times it won't. After driving it again I'm fairly sure it is the throttle cable getting bound/stuck/etc. Especially since reversing the manifold the throttle cable doesn't loop around the side of the engine bay and into the front of the TB, I just have it semi coiled up in the back of the engine bay. I definitely need to get a shorter throttle cable. Probably should do the same for the cruise control module.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
It does... sometimes... Sometimes it wants to idle at 3k+, others just 2k, when I took it to Vatozone and parked it, it was idling at 750. It's not just idle though. Like I can have it in gear and completely let off the throttle and it'll cruise on its own. Sometimes the rpms decrease if I let off the throttle, other times it won't. After driving it again I'm fairly sure it is the throttle cable getting bound/stuck/etc. Especially since reversing the manifold the throttle cable doesn't loop around the side of the engine bay and into the front of the TB, I just have it semi coiled up in the back of the engine bay. I definitely need to get a shorter throttle cable. Probably should do the same for the cruise control module.

This is my thought as well. It sounds like it is binding a little.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!

Explain the reason for these VSS modules to me... I know nothing about them.

SudoSTI

[MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] the whole purpose of the VSS module is to put a newer model (08+) transmission into and older model (<08) car. All Subarus up through 07 (possibly earlier on the LGTs, I'm not sure) came with a speed "gear" in the transmission and a vehicle speed sensor that is mounted in the side of the transmission for the purpose of reading the speed gear to determine vehicle speed. When Subaru switched to the CANBUS system on the newer models they eliminated the speed gear and sensor and instead use the ABS sensor and tone ring from the axle to double as the speed gear sensor. In order for the older models to read the ABS signal and be able to use it as a vehicle speed signal, a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) module must be spliced into one of the ABS sensors, which converts the signal, then the output of the VSS module is spliced into the line that normally transmits the speed sensor signal from the sensor to the ECU, or from the ECU to the speedometer.

The only two companies I've seen to make such a module is DCCDPro and MAPDCCD. I purchased the DCCDPro unit used from someone who had just had it refurbished by DCCDPro. Right before I installed it I found out the person I purchased it from as well as many other users have had many problems with the VSSPro unit from DCCDPro, such as the speedometer freaking out and showing all sorts of random speeds while cruising, completely dropping to 0mph altogether, or worse the unit reading a fraction of a mph causing odometer mileage to increase while the car is stationary. Most of the people who have had issues with the VSSPro have since moved on to the MAPDCCD VSS module and have had no problems whatsoever. That also works out well for me because I wanted to get the MAPDCCD DCCD controller eventually anyway and they are going to allow you to tie in to all four ABS sensors and relay that info to the DCCD controller to make the auto center diff control even better.

SudoSTI

The high idle was the throttle cable. As the engine bay heated up it tightened, holding the throttle open. Loosened it a bit and it's golden.

SudoSTI

I only have class Tuesday Thursday this quarter so I'll do some logging tomorrow.

And get a proper sized box and quote for [MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION] :rofl: