Boost Gauge... Check this out!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I started out making a water flowmeter for my air to water intercooler setup in my car for measuring the flow of water through the heat exchanger... but it soon evolved into a full blown energy meter that measures the flow and delta temps of both the heat exchanger and the intercooler and displays energy transfer and efficiency.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I started out making a water flowmeter for my air to water intercooler setup in my car for measuring the flow of water through the heat exchanger... but it soon evolved into a full blown energy meter that measures the flow and delta temps of both the heat exchanger and the intercooler and displays energy transfer and efficiency.

Omg! Pictures and videos!!!!!!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Not meaning to ride on your coattails but I've got something in the works for us, as well.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Not meaning to ride on your coattails but I've got something in the works for us, as well.

You spill the beans!!!!!! :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Quick question. (If it gets too complicated, I'll post a separate thread.)

Can cold temperatures affect a boost gauge readout? I'm tuned for 19 psi
and this morning during a WOT jaunt, I looked over and saw 22-23 psi. Lifted
immediately, though nothing bad happened. It scared the shit out of me.
It was about 12 degrees out.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Quick question. (If it gets too complicated, I'll post a separate thread.)

Can cold temperatures affect a boost gauge readout? I'm tuned for 19 psi
and this morning during a WOT jaunt, I looked over and saw 22-23 psi. Lifted
immediately, though nothing bad happened. It scared the shit out of me.
It was about 12 degrees out.

Ive noticed spikes in boost during those lingering degrees above 0 in the past. Curious to know as well, but i remember reading that it indeed does affect. We wait for pros to educate! :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I can't wait to see what George says about that. I can imagine low temps having an effect; denser intake charge and so forth.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
well, cold air is denser. But boost gauges compare to atmosphere. So 19 psi is 19 psi greater than atmospheric pressure (14.7 is the standard atmosphere). So, my answer would be "no" cold air will not skew a boost readout.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I have never seen this happen before. Unfortunately, my Cobb AP shit the bed recently and needs sent off to Cobb for repair/replacement. So I can't even verify peak boost (or boost target) readings until I get it back.
I wonder if in the meantime, a reset via pulling the battery, would do any good.
Why in the hell would the ECU allow boost to reach 23 psi if my tune is for 19? Doesn't make sense unless something is malfunctioning like a sensor.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yay! The forum has been blooming with amazing info lately! :tup: cant wait to see new thread!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Okay I now have a viable package. This is what the 3bar unit will look like. I will have pictures of the 4 bar package once I have all the electronics installed. I like the enclosure that the display is in now. It fits so perfect and I got it for around $6 on ebay. I just hope this guy has more. It is suited well for a windshield mount as shown in the pic and you can mount the map sensor close to the source and the main unit anywhere under the dash if you so desire. This particular one is slated for my friend!

The versions I make for you guys will be a bit better inside. Right now all of the ancillary electronics reside on on a prototype shield and it looks pretty messy. The next versions will have a proper printed circuit board and it will be universal for both the 3 and 4 bar models.

Once I'm done with these I think I'm hanging up the towel. It just takes to long for me to make even one of these and the return is not that great to warrant the effort. Once I'm done I will likely post the schematics, software, parts list and PC Board Artwork so you can make one yourself.

20140219_181726.jpg 20140219_181804.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Damn! Thats awesome! Its gonna replace my headunit! :rofl: