Boost leak, maybe?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
So I think I have a boost leak?
Cold start, fast idle, the RPM's want to surge a bit. She also bucks and snorts a lot until the idle settles... 10 - 20 seconds or thereabouts.
Driving seems ok but she has a terrible stumble or blip right around 3k rpm or when she is coming into boost. Highway cruise at or around that RPM, when in high gears, and slight load like an incline, she starts to buck again.
I am not hitting full boost, 17 psi max from the last few WOT romps. (20 psi target boost)
I suspect turbo to IC elbow as the last time I saw it, it looked like hammered ass.

Any other thoughts are appreciated.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Take a water bottle with a little dawn dish soap. Shake it up until it gets foamy. Wait till the car is cool then start it up and blast away. Super cheap boost leak detector. ;)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Post a log... normal around town driving and log both short and long term fuel trims.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
It's all dicked up. Took the IC off and inspected the hose and she us chewed to shit on the underside. The band clamp keeps wanting to walk everytime I go to tighten it down.
Took me no less than 10 tries to seat the bastard. Off and on again with this.

Now, I don't notice the bump around boost time 3k, but I still don't hit target boost per the gauge. Still about 17 psi at WOT and whatever gear.

I'm going to order a new hose and hopefully it'll be longer cause thus futhermucker is short.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Post a log... normal around town driving and log both short and long term fuel trims.

I was already into inspection when I read this so I didn't log.
I assume I just need to select the items I want to log like short and long term fuel trims then go for it? After I'm done I suppose I just hook up to the computer and upload to the accessport manager?
This will be my very first time logging so I am a virgin, please grease me up!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
No lube for you!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Dont forget to switch to a t-bolt hose clamp to avoid the worm gears chewing the shit outta your silicone.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Dont forget to switch to a t-bolt hose clamp to avoid the worm gears chewing the shit outta your silicone.

Thanks for the reminder.

I had one for when the next time I needed to take this off but I couldn't find the damn thing. I'll snag another here at work.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Cold start this morning was better. Didn't want to hunt for idle or buck and snort for a brief few.
Drive in to work was pretty smooth and still can't seem to recreate the bumpiness around spool. (A/C on or off)

Brought the AP to work so I can log on the way home tonight.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
While you're under the hood anyway, consider removing your MAF and carefully cleaning it with
isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
While you're under the hood anyway, consider removing your MAF and carefully cleaning it with
isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip.

Just FYI you should never use any tool or instrument to clean the MAF sensor... The wire is more delicate than the human spinal cord and one tiny little slip and it is all over. Some simple electrical contact cleaner spray should do nicely :D

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I was already into inspection when I read this so I didn't log.
I assume I just need to select the items I want to log like short and long term fuel trims then go for it? After I'm done I suppose I just hook up to the computer and upload to the accessport manager?
This will be my very first time logging so I am a virgin, please grease me up!

Yes sir... Once you have it on your computer you can load it up to google docs or whatever they call it now. Make the files for public viewing and post a link.

When you log I like to see...

A/F Correction #1
A/F Learned #1
A/F Ratio Sensor #1
Engine Speed
Engine Load
MAF Voltage
Ignition Timing
Manifold Relative Pressure

Anyway it sounds like you fixed it but it doesn't hurt to have a set of eyes look at your other data.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Yes sir... Once you have it on your computer you can load it up to google docs or whatever they call it now. Make the files for public viewing and post a link.

When you log I like to see...

A/F Correction #1
A/F Learned #1
A/F Ratio Sensor #1
Engine Speed
Engine Load
MAF Voltage
Ignition Timing
Manifold Relative Pressure

Anyway it sounds like you fixed it but it doesn't hurt to have a set of eyes look at your other data.

Ok. I will log those on the way home tonight and see if I can fumble through it.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Just FYI you should never use any tool or instrument to clean the MAF sensor... The wire is more delicate than the human spinal cord and one tiny little slip and it is all over. Some simple electrical contact cleaner spray should do nicely :D

IT SHOULD do nicely, but the last time I cleaned my MAF, that didn't do anything besides bead up into droplets on the wire.
Apparently, there was quite a bit of dirt and oily residue on mine. To clarify, I was insanely careful and used a 10x desk lens and
PCB table vise.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I still won't ever touch the maf wires. Only spray it really well. I don't recommend that to anyone .

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I have more nervous ticks than a chiwawa. If I tried it with a q-tip, I would end up with something that would look like confetti.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
^ LOLOLOLOL Well then in that case, maybe you shouldn't touch it with anything :rofl:

I know the MAF is fragile, but I think people go a bit overboard. Think about the force
of the air moving over the MAF wire while at full boost...if it can handle that, it should
handle a careful swabbing. Just my $0.02....AND I've done it twice. lol

Either way, what I was really getting at was, just because there is no CEL, a dirty MAF
can still cause rough running conditions and it may not be obvious to check the MAF.