Coilovers for DD duties?

06STI360

Hey all,
Looking to lower my car a bit but don't want the bouncy ride of springs. I am working on picking up a set of BC coilovers 10k spring rates front and rear with 10k miles on them. My car is strictly a dd car and don't want a super harsh ride. What do you guys think?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Paul.c

You should think about doing some auto-X or hpde. That way you could more easily justify the coil overs.

06STI360

Well someone is willing to trade me a set of 10k/10k rates with about 10,000 miles on them for $500 and my SE suspension. I am planning on doing some light auto-x but its mainly a DD car and I don't want it to be too uncomfortable.

06STI360

you may be better off just picking up some decent springs... IMO its a waste of money if your only going to do an autoX here and there... however you can adjust them to make the ride a little softer... if you don't end up buying them though... send me the sellers info... i wouldn't mind em...

Well I had some springs on my old STI.. And it was bouncy and really stiff. I like the idea of being able to adjust them while still getting a nice drop. I don't know I'm gonna go up and drive his next week to see if I like it. I want the lowered look, Just not the overy springy lowered ride quality. I can always get softer spring rates too. Maybe some 8/6k.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

MisterTurbo

If i had to guess, you will NOT be happy with BC coilovers on 10k springs for a daily driver. Unless you like your driving harsh. You may not like the BC coils at all. A lot of mixed reviews on them. That is a STIFFFFFFFF spring.

The good thing with coils is, if you arent happy with the spring rates, you can always replace the springs with something like swift springs, or QA1's.

Link to some QA1's (highly recommended by a lot of people) - http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/QA1-Precision-Products/Product-Line/QA1-Racing-Springs/

joey.lisano

Like others have said, 10k/10k on the street is going to harsh, and you will be disappointed. That's a weird spring choice too; most GD cars use a 1-2k drop in the rear, such as 10k/9k or 10k/8k.

Aftermarket springs are not bouncy. Maybe you were riding on the bump stops. What springs did you have, and did you cut the bump stops? IMHO, there are only a few good aftermarket springs (Swift Spec-R, RCE Yellow, RCE Black). They use comparatively high spring rates with a moderate drop. Also, the bushings, strut top mounts, and stock seats have a huge role in how bouncy the car feels.

icudruln

Not to thread highjack, but is there anyone out there that has the willingness, time, and most importantly, knowledge to make a FAQ on coilovers? I'm starting to read up on them more, but I'm more confused than when I started reading :lol:

Or if someone wants the easy way out, can you recommend me a coilover/camber plate setup? Target price no more than around $2,500 with coilovers and front and rear camber plates. I'm flexible on pricing though...if its a bit more, I'd definitely wait. Don't be afraid to suggest a well built coilover/plate setup that's cheaper by any means. :lol: Car duty will consist of about 25% normal driving, 50% spirited driving, 25% autocross/track days.

Last edited:

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
I think what the op is asking is if he should move on the deal since it's only $500 for them + his stock suspension that he wouldn't be able to get $500 for. OP if you did make that move, I'd say get some softer springs to put on there instead of the 10k/10k. I rode in a buddies car with BC's and had 8/7k's I think and they were pretty straight. Not sure what he had the struts set to. I personally like a semi-stiff ride though to get that feeling of being stuck to the ground. I couldn't imagine 10/10k's =O

FL4TTURBO

I run 12k10k BC's on my 04 and its not real bad...... Ok it is but when that stupid black corvette trys to chase me to work I always beat his ass in the turns!!!

lmao damn those vettes! but yea someone told me who runs BC's that even 8k/6k's on his car (and he doesnt even drive the car daily plus he's a geek to begin with) was even a bit rough. honestly it felt no different from my car with eibach springs on it, just tighter obviously.

FL4TTURBO

Sage advice: keep a DD stock and mod your car to perform. The wrong idea is not having a backup. When you play with your only car, expect bad shit to happen and for you to be upcreek without a paddle.

truth. learned that from friends over n over again.

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Sure wish I was in the states to do this :(

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
PM'd you.

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
lol But a pretty good deal!! Someone better take him up on this offer!