Fuel Pump Help

KaseyO

Hey guys its been awhile since I've been on, gotta question for ya'll. I've just completed my exhaust from my turbo all the way back, and I'm in the process of getting my tomei unequal length headers w/ up pipe and was wondering what fuel pump I should get. defiantly getting a tune afterwards, hopeful goal is around 350/350ish at the wheels. what do ya'll recommend?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Welcome back.

I've heard the walbro in person and it's LOUD. I've got a DW200 and its dead silent. The DW300 give a bit more headroom, at a bit more of a cost. I'm not sure if you'd need the 300 given your goals--someone else will have to chime in on that one. There's also the aeromotive one.

Those are the only three brands I can think of off the top of my head.

For that power level i rec. the walbro. I used to have one and it was quiet...maybe some of the earlier models were loud but i never had a problem. I upgraded to an aeromotive 340 which is dead silent and has a good rep for stable fuel deliver and the price is right compared to DW. there is also the walbro 400 and 465 for e85. all are good so take your pick

would i need to upgraged my fule pump and injectors?? i am going stage 2 this weekend dp spt catback and cobb sf intake with box.

Everyone who has posted is correct. If your power goals are 350/350 I'd go with an Aeromotive 340lph, because its enough flow for your goals + more head room if you ever want to go bigger. Compared to other popular aftermarket pumps, at 40 psi the 340 boasts more than 340lph. That’s over 30% more flow. Its ideal for applications requiring more flow while retaining the factory lines :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
At roughly what power level does the Walbro 255lph pump become insufficient? That what I installed
when I went to Stage II and my end power goal is about 450-475whp, though it'll be a while until I get there.
I'm guessing I'll need a pump with a lot more flow.

At roughly what power level does the Walbro 255lph pump become insufficient? That what I installed
when I went to Stage II and my end power goal is about 450-475whp, though it'll be a while until I get there.

Its seen close to 500whp in some cases. But you would need a very modified fuel system..Large enough injectors, FPR, Upgraded lines, rails, maybe even wire it to constant voltage etc. Im pretty sure I have a walbro 255lph and i had 466whp. before my motor popped...I still have the pump as well.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
466whp would satisfy my power hunger. :lol: Ultimately, when I get a hold of a built motor, I'll probably go with whatever pump my engine builder/tuner suggests. It is nice to know that it might work though. :tup:

ZackUSAF82

I went with the Walbro because I just happened to have the exact one I needed from a previous car that I never got around to installing. Dumb luck there. I will say that I know a few guys that had failures with the DW65 and I have yet to personally meet anyone that's had issues with the Walbro but I'm sure they have issues (and you can likely find them by googling). It's just a preference thing, the DW is slightly quieter but usually 30-40 bucks more than the Walbro. In all honesty I don't think you can go wrong with either but I figured I'd throw out my opinion since you asked...

I would get the walbro 400 or aeromotive 340. especially if you want to run meth down the road. Aeromotive makes alot more than just pumps so i find them very reliable and minimum fuel pressure is 43.5 psi. you will never know the limit until you start maxing out your equipment and its going to be different for many applications. i rec. the 340 though for how much fuel it moves and the price. you can always go with a boost-a-pump later down the road if you need more fuel.

330/380 via Cobb's dyno.
DW65c and ID1000 on corn and no issues.

Whats your IDC?

I went with the Walbro because I just happened to have the exact one I needed from a previous car that I never got around to installing. Dumb luck there. I will say that I know a few guys that had failures with the DW65 and I have yet to personally meet anyone that's had issues with the Walbro but I'm sure they have issues (and you can likely find them by googling). It's just a preference thing, the DW is slightly quieter but usually 30-40 bucks more than the Walbro. In all honesty I don't think you can go wrong with either but I figured I'd throw out my opinion since you asked...

I've never heard of DW failing but it wouldnt surprise me. Walbro and aeromotive have been around ever since i got heavily involved with cars (2002) along with the bosch 040's and 044's and i would consider those the best choices since i have never heard of them failing. DW just seemed to pop up in the scene so i question their credibility just a little bit especially since they are pretty pricey for some reason and you can get equivalent items for cheaper.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Whats your IDC?

I've never heard of DW failing but it wouldnt surprise me. Walbro and aeromotive have been around ever since i got heavily involved with cars (2002) along with the bosch 040's and 044's and i would consider those the best choices since i have never heard of them failing. DW just seemed to pop up in the scene so i question their credibility just a little bit especially since they are pretty pricey for some reason and you can get equivalent items for cheaper.

Dunno. Never logged it but I think I will now.

Only deatschwerks issue I know of is the DW1000 injectors were failing catastrophically. The little ball was literally dropping out. I have a brand new set that I can't unload because of this.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Personally, I don't understand all this talk about some fuel pumps being noisy. Maybe mine
isn't and I haven't noticed it on other cars, but I never hear the pump running unless I'm in
diagnostic mode with the key on and the engine off.....in which case, I WANT to hear the pump
pulsing to confirm that I am in fact in diagnostic mode.

Alter3go

I'm not entirely sure with subaru a but on other vehicles I've had the fuel pump has done this stupid whine. I would just YouTube the engine sound with the pump installed and see if you like it or not there are some vids

Yeah the pump is loud for one second when you turn the key forward before starting the car. then you dont hear shit. I honestly like like noise, makes me feel like a race car :D engage batmobile!! *turns key forward* shhhhvvvvvvvvvvv click. *starts car* rum bum bum bumbum bum bum. hahahahahah

Alter3go

Yeah the pump is loud for one second when you turn the key forward before starting the car. then you dont hear shit. I honestly like like noise, makes me feel like a race car :D engage batmobile!! *turns key forward* shhhhvvvvvvvvvvv click. *starts car* rum bum bum bumbum bum bum. hahahahahah

Hahaha I hope nobody kills your joy sir this is legit

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I honestly like the noise, makes me feel like a race car :D engage batmobile!! *turns key forward* shhhhvvvvvvvvvvv click. *starts car* rum bum bum bumbum bum bum. hahahahahah

EXACTLY! Because RACE CAR! :D