HELP! Grinding gears....WTF?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I've heard of people having this issue when going into 5th and it's due to the linkage not being put back correctly after a clutch job for example. Thats why I asked about linkage being an issue...
I'll write down that formula Stimul8. Thanks buddy.

Btw...I just drove home. Went the long way to get a little open road to test things out on. Didn't get above about 50-55 so idk how much it might be speed sensitive, but I didn't grind. WTF? I mean, its been intermittent, but this is ridiculous, it was pretty bad at times yesterday....why is it mostly gone now? (4th gear grind)

5th did grind, but only once and the tiniest bit.

I'll update again tomorrow....damn I'm so confused about all this.
...I mean, wtf causes f-ed synchros besides driving it like an idiot?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Maybe you should try the other Amsoil fluid, but to be honest I don't know if it would make a difference. Worth a shot.

First off, since the IGOTASTI.COM user has been created, I'm never sure if it's JJ or not...lololol

If it is JJ....which Amsoil fluid is in YOUR tranny?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Age and power can fuck your shit. Shitty parts to begin with can fuck your shit.
Sometimes shit just gets fucked.

There also may be alignment issues. Something is not quite engaging when or where or how it should be.
If your linkage is kosher, time to open it up.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
There also may be alignment issues. Something is not quite engaging when or where or how it should be.

That's kind of how I feel about this issue. What members specifically do you (or anyone) know of that are tranny savvy?
I was hoping Fuji and Holy would have something to say about it.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
That's kind of how I feel about this issue. What members specifically do you (or anyone) know of that are tranny savvy?
I was hoping Fuji and Holy would have something to say about it.

Usually the linkage being worn is more of a "it just won't engage or you have trouble getting it there." Sloppy shifter and vagueness.
I was thinking more of something within the tranny on that or those gear shafts are not allowing it to smoothly engage that gear set.
I wonder if 4th and 5th are on the same shaft?
I have done tranny work before just not on subarus.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
And what I have seen as far as crappy linkage usually makes it pop out if gear whole or partially

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
First off, since the IGOTASTI.COM user has been created, I'm never sure if it's JJ or not...lololol

If it is JJ....which Amsoil fluid is in YOUR tranny?

Same fluid!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I remember something about subaru improving the synchros somewhere around 06 ish, I think. They were brass but they are something different now. I believe it was to address this same situation.
Maybe they were coated or treated in some way?

NESTI

hey man, i don't mean to take the flame away from your issue, but recently i have had issues with grinding second even with the clutch to the floor. never down shifting only with upshifts..... i have not driven crazy with this car, i drive it like a grandpa most of the time and rarely pull with it. maybe im still just in the paranoid stage with the new car, but not sure.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Same here. When it happens, it happens even with the clutch pinned to the floor. Makes me crazy. :-/

NESTI

There is a reputable place neer me called Subie shop...i have a couple days off this week, maybe i will bring it over see if they can find something...i am not much of a mechanic at all especially when it comes to engine and transmission...i will post my findings

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
For anyone who's had grinding issues, does it seem to be speed sensitive? This morning
on my drive to work, I had no grinding issues. I don't go very far, or very fast on my commute.

The worst of my grinding issues were on the interstate a couple days ago, between 60-80 mph.
Is it possible that the issue is somewhat speed sensitive?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I tend to agree it is synchro related. It could also be some other mechanical failure like a bent fork or a worn bushing. The only reason I think this is because 4th and 5th are on different forks so one should not effect the other. I think this can only be bad synchros or bent or loose fork on 4rth and 5th gear or a combination of the two.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Thanks Holy for confirming 4th and 5th being on different location.
I did some googling and 04-05 STi 4th and 5th grinding seems to be very common, especially the higher the RPM.
Hence the reason why synchros were changed.

Yes speed and rpm can exasperate the problem.
People have all sorts of weird concoctions if fluids that claim to fix it. You can try that or simply get the problem fixed. No amount if wizardry is going to truly fix it.
It sucks balls but we all know these cars are money pits.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Well, I guess I'll be installing the shifter bushing kit at some point and checking the linkage.
If that doesn't fix the problem, I'll fill the tranny with the Grimmspeed Transmission Cocktail.
...hopefully the above fixes the problem at least until 100,000 miles or so. If not, of course
then I'll have to get the synchros replaced.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Let us know as we are all curious.