Help...My Sti WON'T IDLE

cobbtunedsti

Ohhh or the smoke could be from the exhast???? I'll check the DP and UP tomorrow.. Any other thoughts...???

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I have to say that just looking for leaks is not going to find them. You either have to pressurize the system as STI FR3AK suggests or spray around with some starter fluid.

Also you could try to unplug the MAF sensor while it is running to force it to run off the map sensor and listen for an improvement in idle. If the idle comes back you know you have a dirty or bad MAF sensor.

You can also do the same thing with the front O2 sensor.

cobbtunedsti

Ya I'm building the pressurizer tool as we speak!! Thanks I'll try those to.. So just unplug one at a time while it's running?? Thanks again

Bluedemon_II

Welcome to the club. Check the idle control solenoid, check for leaks on the turbo inlet. My car did that when it poped a piston. Does smoke come out of the oil filler tube? Night, im tired lol.

cobbtunedsti

I don't think it's a piston.. Their Manley pistons and it's never seen more than 21psi. If it is I will light a match to this car... It's a joy to drive but been on blocks more than on the street.. I don't understand why this car is always breaking down????? I've seen some sti's that goes 30,000 miles on stock blocks, 25psi, 300 passes at the track.. And run like tops???

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Sounds like all the bugs just need worked out still from the build. Stay with it and it will all pay off. That why I'm doing all suspension mods first on my STi.

cobbtunedsti

I here ya... I don't want to sale it because it beats everything around here:) but my family says I'm crazy for keeping this car and pretty much getting laughed at:(

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
They just don't understand. Keep with it and it will all pay off. Sounds like something small this time to me, but don't give up.

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
I don't think it's a piston.. Their Manley pistons and it's never seen more than 21psi. If it is I will light a match to this car... It's a joy to drive but been on blocks more than on the street.. I don't understand why this car is always breaking down????? I've seen some sti's that goes 30,000 miles on stock blocks, 25psi, 300 passes at the track.. And run like tops???
Sounds like mine :) When my car was dropped off at Cobb, they baselined mine at 26psi and still had a perfect motor. A good tune goes a long way.

icudruln

They just don't understand. Keep with it and it will all pay off. Sounds like something small this time to me, but don't give up.

This. I'd definitely run a vacuum test, and maybe a fuel pressure test if you or a buddy has a fuel pressure gauge.

cobbtunedsti

The tune is 100%.. talked to chris at cobb.. He said there's a plug on the bottom of the TB that may have fell out.. I'll check today.. Plus I'm building the pressure tester today:)

cobbtunedsti

Found it I believe.. Chris walked me through the whole thing.. But I don't want to celebrate until it's fixed..
Chris said a plug probably fell out under the TB.. I kept telling him I couldn't get my fat hand under it to see.. He sent my a picture of it and I felt an open hole.. Chris said they just put a rubber cap with a zip tie over it and that's what poped off.. This will be extremely hard to put this back on.. Any ideas???

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Can you put it on a rack?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Forget what I said lol. I must have been thinking of something else, lol.

Found it I believe.. Chris walked me through the whole thing.. But I don't want to celebrate until it's fixed..
Chris said a plug probably fell out under the TB.. I kept telling him I couldn't get my fat hand under it to see.. He sent my a picture of it and I felt an open hole.. Chris said they just put a rubber cap with a zip tie over it and that's what poped off.. This will be extremely hard to put this back on.. Any ideas???

The throttle body isnt too hard to remove. What kind of intercooler do you have?