GD Jswansti's 06 WRB STi

jswansti

Got my gates timing kit installed today. I cant visually see the work he did, but mechanically it all seems like he did a great job. Car seems to run a bit smoother, fresh coolant.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Got my gates timing kit installed today. I cant visually see the work he did, but mechanically it all seems like he did a great job. Car seems to run a bit smoother, fresh coolant.

Good deal. :tup:

jswansti

Replaced the accessory belts today :D I've had a lot if belt squealing in the morning so hopefully this helps. My ps still squeals a lot on cold start. Ive been told its just cold fluids, but ive also been told to replace the o-ring on one of the pump hoses. And if that doesn't work, to replace the lines because they wear out over time.

Last edited:

jswansti

Flush and filled the power steering today. The fist siphon tool i bought was a piece of shit so I ponied up a little more money for a decent one, and man was it worth it! The steering feels so much better now. I drained and filled the reservoir tank probably 9-11 times, using 3 quarts of Valvoline Dexron III. I bought a 4 quart container of it and plan to drain and fill the reservoir one or two more times this week after some miles are put on the car. But it already feels a million times better than it did! Cold start in the morning will be a true test of how much of a difference it will have made in my steering.

jswansti

Well the car still made some whining noises this morning after sitting for 15 hours in like 20-30 degree weather. But the noise was much quieter than before and went away quicker too. Also seemed like the steering was still more responsive even when cold. Gonna flush it once tonight, and also tighten the belt a little bit to see if that helps. Just afraid of tightening too much...

jswansti

Took my back seat out to try and find this DAMN rattle that wont go away. This is the second time over 3 months ive tried to find it. Also cleaned the interior and exterior. Filled up the tires with some air since each one was ~7 psi low.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Ouch. Does mom feel bad?

jswansti

She really did. She's also paying for it all to get fixed so its no biggie. I guess it happened Thursday night but I just got back home today from a trip with a couple friends.friends,

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
She really did. She's also paying for it all to get fixed so its no biggie. I guess it happened Thursday night but I just got back home today from a trip with a couple friends.friends,

Good deal. :)

jswansti

Haven't updated in a while, not a whole lot going on anyways. Since last time I posted:

The fender got repaired and looks good as new!

Had a 90k service performed as well as getting my summer set of rims/tires mounted and balanced.

Also created a list of pretty much everything I'd still like to do to the car, to get her exactly as I want her (will take a long time to do):

-hta68 turbo
-top feed fuel conversion with ID 1000cc injectors
-tgv deletes
-ewg from grimmspeed
-retune
-SMY cluster for gauges
-RCE yellow springs
-whiteline front sway bar & endlinks
-powder coat rims (orange or black)
-double din dvd headunit & speakers

Would be great if I could get it all done, but it'll take time for sure.surely

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Start with the whiteline front sway bar and endlinks first. :)

jswansti

The SMY cluster will be in next month. Then im thinking i'll save for the suspension bits. I'll also need new summer tires after this summer for sure, but im hoping that'll be a xmas present :) Then the headunit and speakers will be bought eventually.

The engine mods are for after I get a reliable DD to replace the Sti as my DD. So those are a long way out...if they even ever happen. Im pretty satisfied with the current power and tune, especially since it's my DD. But someday she'll be a weekend warrior perhaps.

jswansti

Hello all! Haven't been on in a while. Nothing really new with the car. My kartboy sticker came off my knuckleball shift knob...not really sure what to put there now since I can't seem to find the others. Any suggestions welcomed!

I moved much closer to work, cut my daily commute by 50 miles :) So now im saving some and will probably be looking at getting a set of rce yellow springs and maybe a front swaybar/ endlinks.

icudruln

Hello all! Haven't been on in a while. Nothing really new with the car. My kartboy sticker came off my knuckleball shift knob...not really sure what to put there now since I can't seem to find the others. Any suggestions welcomed!

I moved much closer to work, cut my daily commute by 50 miles :) So now im saving some and will probably be looking at getting a set of rce yellow springs and maybe a front swaybar/ endlinks.

There's a few places in the Denver area that do all kinds of custom stickers if you want something like what was on the shift knob. You could make some kind of stencil if you want something different on the shift knob.

I've been contemplating just getting a set of springs for now, but I really want the adjustability of coilovers. If you get the RCE Yellows, let me know how you like em!

jswansti

So I installed my SMY Clustermaker gauge pod last night. I haven mixed feelings at the moment. The stock fitment and oem look of the pod is perfect, my issues came when installing the gauges. I will post pics later when I can.

My first issue was with the depth given for the wiring and gauges themselves. I have mechanical boost and an electrical oil temp Autometer gauges, and it was incredibly cramped getting everything in, especially the boost gauge. The fitting for the boost line was slightly too long, so I actually had to shave some of the back off the plastic "cup" of the cluster. After that my gauge with the boost line fitting attached went in fine, but now I was hitting the clear plastic cover of my actual dash gauges with the boost line fitting, but just barely. I loosened my dash cluster and was able to shift it slightly enough for my boost line fitting to squeeze in, and for the cluster to clip into place.

e9apu2ad.jpg

The oil temp gauge went in just fine without having to alter the actual cluster pod at all. Only problem is my back light for the gauge won't come on when I turn my lights on now, which is my fault.

My biggest issue is that my gauges won't sit flush against the pods in the cluster. The very top of the gauge (12 o clock position) touches the pod, but the bottom (6 o clock) has a gap between the gauge and the pod. You can easily see the side of each gauge when looking at them from the side. I've pushed them I as far as I can, and they just won't go flush with the pods. I think I'm just gonna paint the sides of the gauges black so it is far less noticeable. I'm not sure of this is due to the cluster design or my gauges specifically, but I've seen pics of different gauges that fit in much easier and more flush than mine.

u3yvyva5.jpg

papa5u7u.jpg

urabuva3.jpg

Overall, I actually really like the cluster. It looks good and I prefer the position to the a-pillar pod. Different gauges will fit much better than mine, especially electrical gauges, so you might not have any of these issues. I'm going to take it off tomorrow night to try and fix my oil temp light, make the wiring around the steering column much cleaner, paint the sides of my gauges, and take some detailed pics.

pajujure.jpg

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
How much was it?

jswansti

Nice! No problem, Greg is awesome. I've been given some tips to make them fit in the pod better that I will try tomorrow night.

I believe it's $140+shipping

Last edited:

jswansti

Here are some updated pics I took tonight finishing up the pod install! I got my oil temp light to work, but then my boost light didn't want to work either. Fixed that and then my boost line kinked and wouldn't read, so I had to reroute the line. But I finally got all the problems fixed. Used electrical tape to make the gauges fit snug. Wasn't working out well with the rubber bands. The boost gauge still sticks out a tad due to the boost line fitting pushing on the dash gauge cluster.

u2uqu4y4.jpg

yqy6y3yg.jpg

6u8e8u7u.jpg

a6ase5y8.jpg

e5u3y7aj.jpg

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Looks great! :)