GD Jswansti's 06 WRB STi

jswansti

I've actually heard from some friends that the local Subaru dealership has a huge set of mcgard key locks in case this sort of thing happens. So if I can't get a replacement key from mcgard ill go to Subaru and hopefully they'll have one that can take them off.

jswansti

I've actually heard from some friends that the local Subaru dealership has a huge set of mcgard key locks in case this sort of thing happens. So if I can't get a replacement key from mcgard ill go to Subaru and hopefully they'll have one that can take them off.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!

Oh thats good. I never would have even thought to ask a dealer. It makes sense that they would carry a full complement of keys

icudruln

I guess worst case scenario, you could end up having them broken off. Most tire dealers/retailers should have wheel lock removal tools, including Subaru. McGard is the biggest wheel lock distributor out there (both OEM and aftermarket), so I'd highly doubt you'll have issues getting them off if Subaru indeed has a bunch of their wheel locks.

jswansti

Yeah, they're also the Subaru issued mcgard wheel locks so im confident that they'll have one that fits if it comes down to that. With the wheel lock kit there was a bunch of papers and instructions on how to get a replacement key if you lose yours. There's a chance you had to register your key lock id when you bought the set in order for them to keep track of which one you had, and I don't think I did. But hopefully im wrong, or they're able to help out either way.
If I have to go to Subaru hopefully they'll have a key and ill just have to buy a new set of lug locks after they take mine off. If they don't have a key I've heard that dealerships and wheel/tire places can usually remove them.

jswansti

Had a flat when I got to work this morning. Went to the gas station across the street, filled it up and drove it to the local Subaru dealership which was luckily 3 minutes away. They looked it over and found no leaks. Had them take the lock lug off for me and went to M&O tire down the road where they could do a dunk test on the whole rim/ tire. Turns out the bead on the inner side of the tire is fucked up in an area and will leak if I hit something, park weird, anything that pushes the tire around in that area. They patched it up as well as well as possible and said it'll hold air fine, I just did something on my drive this morning that messed it up enough for air to leak out. I was gonna pit my winter set on in a week or two but now im just gonna do it Saturday morning, but I have to get a nail in one of those tires fixed. I hate tires!!!! Ugh.

jswansti

My local Subaru service guy is gonna look at me weird on Saturday, and not just because of my normal appearance.

I ordered the replacement lock lug for my rims but wont have it before Saturday. Thus I have to go to Subaru, have them remove my locking lugs, go over to a local tire shop that's gonna patch one winter tire and then mount/ balance my whole winter set for $28. Then go back over to subaru to have them put my lock lugs back on. At least they're kinda close to each other.

Ps. My "black" bbs rims are merely spray painted black, and not really that well, and got their fair share of chips over summer. I ultimately want to powder coat them black, but im thinking of sanding and repainting them over winter for fun. Was leaning towards a solid orange color (Broncos #1!!, or tebow ha) just to see how it would look. Any other ideas?!

Last edited:

jswansti

Had my first cold start issues this morning and its been colder out before today! But I hadn't driven the car since Thursday morning. It took a bit of blipping the throttle to get her to stay turned over. Also one of the belts was super whiny and my air hag light stayed on. Let the car run a bit, turned it off and let it sit a little, plugged in the AP then turned it back on. Everything was smooth, and no more whining or air bag light. AF was good, no knock, no cylinder roughness. All good stuff, but still kinda weird!

jswansti

Picked up some of that ethanol fuel conditioner last night and put some in the tank. We'll see if it make a difference! I was getting a bit tired of fighting with the car during cold starts. If I don't warm the engine up about every 10-12 hours it takes at least 5 minutes of trying to turn over before she'll start again.

jswansti

Changed her oil yesterday and scheduled to get the timing belt kit installed on Jan 2nd. She'll be running like a champ for the new year :D

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Picked up some of that ethanol fuel conditioner last night and put some in the tank. We'll see if it make a difference! I was getting a bit tired of fighting with the car during cold starts. If I don't warm the engine up about every 10-12 hours it takes at least 5 minutes of trying to turn over before she'll start again.

There are things you can do to help this situation... Do you have the ability to adjust your tune (AccessTuner Race or OpenSource) or is this a pro-tune?

If you can't then your only real choice is to use a block warmer. They are mad simple to install and they are only like $30-$40 last time I looked

Changed her oil yesterday and scheduled to get the timing belt kit installed on Jan 2nd. She'll be running like a champ for the new year :D

It's always a good feeling to get stuff done!

jswansti

Such a good feeling!

And no I don't have the ability to adjust my tune, its a pro-tune. I've looked into block warmers, but don't you need an outlet for those? Because I wouldn't have one most of the time, only in mornings in my garage.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Such a good feeling!

And no I don't have the ability to adjust my tune, its a pro-tune. I've looked into block warmers, but don't you need an outlet for those? Because I wouldn't have one most of the time, only in mornings in my garage.

Yes that is correct... Just run an extension cord :D

jswansti

Ha ha, im not sure I could run one at work! And yeah, I think that its been pretty helpful so far. I haven't had any real issues starting the car since I put it in. Ill have to fill up today and put some more in, so we'll see with a fresh full tank.

jswansti

Same here. One or two cranks with a blip of the throttle at first and I've been good to go. I haven't gone longer than a day without starting the car so I havent tested it out over a period of sitting. Our big awl-mart sells it for 8.79 which is cheaper than the 9.99 a auto stores. And yeah, its good for at least 4 fill ups so I isn't that bad.

jswansti

Interesting night at the gas station last night. There's a place that carries e85 on my way home that I always go to, so I stopped in last night for a fill. I guess the tank was getting kinda low, so the e85 was getting really cold and it was coming out of the pump at a snails pace. Like 1 gallon in 5 minutes. So the guy recommended I move to a different pump. The new pump was filling a lot faster than the other, but still pretty slow compared to normal. It was pretty damn cold out so I sat in my car while I waited for her to fill. I checked the gallon meter semi frequently to see where I was at; I had pulled in with the gas light on so I needed roughly 13 gallons. Well next thing I knew the meter was reading like 13.2 gallons had filled (over 15 minutes of waiting). So I figured something weird was going on and behold it was over filling my tank slowly now. There was a little puddle dripping down from my fender and mud flap. Stopped the pump and told the attendant that it over filled, I wasn't mad, just letting him know. He said it was pumping with such low pressure it probably didn't register when the tank was full. Well she got a quick car wash last night as well to get any leftover gas off, as well as the rock salt mixture from the snow melt. Cars fine though :rolleyes: