GD Jswansti's 06 WRB STi

jswansti

Removed the console trim so safelite can pick it up today. I guess the guy who does their repair/ paint stuff will be in wednesday and is gonna try to match the paint and paint all 3 trim pieces so they blend. I told the store manager if it doesn't look right or is crappily done I want new trim and he said that would be okay. I should have my trim back by wednesday evening I guess. My console looks really ghetto right now with no trim around it. I had to zip tie my ac unit up so that it doesn't just dangle near the shifter. This is so frustrating!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Nice. Glad to see they are owning up.

jswansti

Yeah they are actually being pretty cool about it. The guy who screwed it up came out and even said he knocked it off but didn't realize there was a rightside up on it when he put it back on. They never even tried to deny it or fight it. I only fear tha if it doesn't look good to me and I want a replacement trim they might try to fight it a bit more, cuz replacing it wont nearly be as cheap as painting it for them.

jswansti

Got the trim pieces back today. First thoughts are that it looks like he did a decent job. The paint looks a bit darker than it was. Gonna put it back on after work and see how I feel about it.

jswansti

FUCK my life right now. So not only did it hail last night like a mofo on my car that i have to get fixed, on my way home my check engine light came on. Misfire in cylinder 2. I reset my ecu and drove the rest of the way home hoping it may have been a fluke but low and behold the light came back on. Except this time is showed Misfire detected in cylinder 2 AND cylinder 4. Codes were thrown under normal driving conditions, not boosting or anything. Car is shaky at idle and a bit while driving. I checked for smoke coming out of the tailpipe while my roommate started my car and there was none visible or during idle. Open oil filler cap and there was no smoke coming out. So first thoughts are bad coilpacks, bad spark plugs, or bad batch of E85. Back of my mind thoughts are the my engine is totally fucked but I hope thats not the case. Any suggestions on what to check for would be greatly appreciated at the moment!! Thanks guys and girls.

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Start with a compression check.

jswansti

That's in the plan. My brother came over with his friend, both are auto techs and we talked about possibilities for a bit. Our game plan is to check coilpacks and spark plugs on sunday, remove timing belt black cover and check out the belt since the misfires are all on the drivers side of the engine. If those checks/ fixes don't help at all im going to my tuner when he can help me. Have him look the car over, check the injectors and stuff since he installed them. If he doesn't come up with anything then ill have him do a compression test and go from there...

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
IMO A compression test should be the first thing you do. If it turns out bad then you just saved your self the headache of trying all the other stuff. If it turns out good then you have just proven that it is one of those things.

Things it could be...

Ring landing
Injector
Coil pack
Plug
Wiring

Not likely a valve timing issue but it is possible. I would do that last. It is the hardest to check and the most unlikely of all the situations.

Last edited:

jswansti

Thanks for the input! The car wont be towed to my parents place until sunday morning, which is 2 miles from my tuners shop. Gonna change out the spark plugs and swap coilpacks from driver side and passenger side. If the issue follows then we've found the issue. If not, compression test monday hopefully!

jswansti

Changing out the spark plugs tomorrow and moving the coil packs from 2&4 (drivers side) to 1&3 (passemger side) to see if the issue goes away or follows the coilpacks, and how i PRAY that it does!!!! If not i will promptly have a compression test done and possibly a smoke test to check for leaks. Wish me luck!

jswansti

Update:

Done with the sparkplugs and swapping coilpacks. Didn't fix the issue. I cleared the codes and drove around for a while and they didnt come back on, but you can feel and hear the same issues as before in the idle and normal driving. THe car stutters or hesitates a bit, but most noticeably at idle and at low rpms while driving under little load. In boost and high rpms the car seems to run much smoother. Also took a log at idle and there is roughness in cylinders 2&4, the same ones that threw the misfire codes, but no roughness at high rpms or under boost. There is no roughness or codes pertaing to cylinders 1&3. I think that my next step is to actually have the tuner look at the injectors that he installed and the injector tune to see if there's an issue in the fueling which is what it feels like at idle and while driving. If it comes back that the injectors are fine physically and fine in the tuning we'll move on to the compression test. Anyone have any other suggestions for what might cause issues on just the drivers side cylinders running rough?!? Possibly the cam sensor or any other sensors?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
There is one more thing that you can try and that is to move the injectors like you have done already with the coil packs and plugs. You should be able to do this yourself but it is not as easy as coil packs but still doable. If you do descide to do this yourself just remember to lubricate the o-rings prior to installation.

Though I don't think it is the cam sensors I suppose it is possible. You might want to consider adding AVCS to the log. That should reveal any problems that are cam related

jswansti

Thanks holy! I contacted my tuner and left him a voicemail about coming in to have the injectors checked. I got them from him and he did the install, so you'd think he would do a check on them if they're a potential issue, and if they are, then fix it. Im afraid to do it myself cuz i dont want my tuner to have a reason not to warranty his work by me messing with it.

jswansti

Got an email from my tuner today. He said he's pretty slammed this week but can take a look tomorrow morning for a bit. Don't know if he'll have enough time to really look into the issue but im glad he fit me in when he could. He leaves thursday too so I might have to wait until next week to get a thorough check on the injectors and tune.

jswansti

Car is at the tuners right now. I was only able to hang around a couple minutes before work but his first thoughts are that its a leak of some sort based on how poorly it idles and how well it runs when you get on it a bit. If its the fuel pump or injectors its all covered by him but if its a leak he's gonna fix and ill pay, either way im hoping its fixed this afternoon since he'll be gone for a while after tomorrow.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Hope all goes well.