GD Jswansti's 06 WRB STi

jswansti

Just talked to my tuner. He's still looking at it, kinda stumped at the moment. He ran a smoke test and found no leaks, which is good news I guess, but still no fix yet. He's gonna pull the drivers side plugs and check some stuff out. Also said there's no issue with fuel pressure so its not the pump, but it could very well be an injector issue. Its only at idle and very low rpm that there are issues.

jswansti

And the results are in!! Drumroll........bad injectors for cylinders 2&4. Harvey really is awesome. He fit me in with hardly any notice, ran several tests including one with an oscilliscope that allowed him to read the volts and amps and other stuff for the injectors. That test showed the injectors were opening at inconsistant times and were just bad. So then he checked to see if he had any new dw 850s around, and he did, so he popped the old ones out and put two new ones in. The car was showing some roughness in cylinders 2&4 for a minute or so but then the idle smoothed out and it went away. Now let's just hope that this doesn't happen again, or that cylinders 1&3 don't go out.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Pictures!!!

jswansti

Ha. I'll get some pics up soon! I don't have any with the hail damage to compare to though.

I was in China for 8 days and started a new, much busier job this week so its been kinda crazy!! Glad to be back in the US and on the site again though!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Ha. I'll get some pics up soon! I don't have any with the hail damage to compare to though.

I was in China for 8 days and started a new, much busier job this week so its been kinda crazy!! Glad to be back in the US and on the site again though!

We missed you!!!

jswansti

I missed the site! My brother is getting married next week so its just been nonstop craziness in my life.

We were in Beijing the whole time. That place is so huge that we could've stayed for a couple more weeks and still have stuff to do without leaving the city. It was an amazing trip and experience though!

jswansti

It was really muggy and humid most of the time. Lots of fog but not really polluted looking. I went to the hau chung market which I think is the same. Its sooooo crazy in there!

Z1107

When you change it can you do a right up on it? I'm in the conundrum of not knowing if the previous owner did or not. So I'm assuming he didn't to be on the safe side and ive never owned a car long enough to change one so I want to make sure I do it right.

jswansti

I appreciate your trust in my mechanical abilities but im gonna have a reputable shop so this one ha ha. I've never changed a timing belt and to be honest it scared the crap out of me to do something myself that could ruin my engine. Sorry there wont be a write up!!

jswansti

Not really sure whats going on lately but i've lost the mod bug for the time being...maybe its the lack of funds that deter me from even looking at them so im not tempted. Also got some expensive maintenance coming up which i have a couple questions on.

What do you guys recommend I replace when doing my timing belt change? Im doing it at the same time as my 90xxx mile checkup. I know its popular to replace the water pump and some other stuff but it'd be nice to have an idea of what i should replace for sure, and what i dont need to replace depending on its condition. Thanks for any input!!

jswansti

Well shit. I rotated my tires over the weekend and seem to have misplaced my lug lock key when I was done. Or perhaps accidentally left it on the last wheel when I was done and then it fell off while I drove. Either way im pretty sure I kept the mcgard registration stuff in case you lose the lock and need to buy just the key. Let's hope so!!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Not really sure whats going on lately but i've lost the mod bug for the time being...maybe its the lack of funds that deter me from even looking at them so im not tempted. Also got some expensive maintenance coming up which i have a couple questions on.

What do you guys recommend I replace when doing my timing belt change? Im doing it at the same time as my 90xxx mile checkup. I know its popular to replace the water pump and some other stuff but it'd be nice to have an idea of what i should replace for sure, and what i dont need to replace depending on its condition. Thanks for any input!!

That is probably for the best! :D

For sure you want to replace the tensioner and all the idlers.

Well shit. I rotated my tires over the weekend and seem to have misplaced my lug lock key when I was done. Or perhaps accidentally left it on the last wheel when I was done and then it fell off while I drove. Either way im pretty sure I kept the mcgard registration stuff in case you lose the lock and need to buy just the key. Let's hope so!!

Well good lucK finding one... your fucked if you don't. How would you get those off otherwise? I suppose you may be able to weld a nut on top and wrench it off if it ever came down to it.