GD LJ's E85 STi: Addicted To Suspension Mods!

icudruln

I'm annoyed with old Subaru's. I'm already having issues with the "new" daily, and it's taking time away from installing STi parts, and keeping money from going into the car I prefer! :(

Maybe I should've bought an older single cam Honda instead.

icudruln

Here's some happy news...all the parts I ordered:

Winter2010Parts.jpg

From left to right:

Whiteline Front & Rear Sway Bars
Mishimoto Radiator Hoses
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace
ACT XTSS Clutch
ACTXTSS Pressure Plate
ACT Streetlite Flywheel
Litespeed Chassis Bridge
Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
TiC Tranny Crossmember Bushings
Kartboy Rear Diff Outrigger Bushings
Kartboy Rear Diff Mount Bushings
AMS SS Clutch Line
Goodridge SS Brake Lines
Whiteline Front & Rear Ball Link Endlinks
Whiteline Rear Subframe Lock Bolts

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Whiteline gives you lube for the sways. Put it all in the bushings and on the bar then after install rub grease around each bushing with the grease thats left over.

jswansti

Wow, your cars gonna feel crazy different after all that is put on! Newb question, do you have to drain the coolant to install the radiattor hoses? They're on my wishlist right now.

icudruln

Whiteline gives you lube for the sways. Put it all in the bushings and on the bar then after install rub grease around each bushing with the grease thats left over.

:lol: Good to know. I haven't even opened the packaging of the sway bars.

icudruln

Wow, your cars gonna feel crazy different after all that is put on! Newb question, do you have to drain the coolant to install the radiattor hoses? They're on my wishlist right now.

Yes you do. Coolant for the 04-06 isn't pre-mixed, and you don't need the Subaru conditioner additive. It ran $20 for the jug...you just need one for the install. Just have the motor cold, and pop off the lower radiator hose and catch it in your bucket. Install the new hoses, and make sure you burp the coolant system while you pour in the new coolant.

New radiator hoses are a perfect mod if you plan tracking the car, or if you're due for a coolant flush.

Here's a good investment that'll make burping coolant systems very easy:
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24610-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B001A4EAV0

icudruln

Plans for today!

Broken Daily: Install clutch cable so I have a running daily :lol:

STi: Install a few small parts...Whiteline Subframe Lock Bolts, TiC Tranny Crossmember Bushings, Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace

I'm partially installing a few parts at a time to truly see if the said parts make a difference. While those three parts total only $140, I'd like to give a realistic opinion if they're worth it, as well as how noticeable the differences are. I'm expecting a tighter rear end with the Subframe bolts, a more crisp driveline with the crossmember bushings, and better brake pedal feel with the MS Brace. I'm also installing the small stuff because I'm lazy and don't know if I feel like doing the Sways/Endlinks, ALK, and steering rack bushings yet. :lol:

icudruln

Coming after today (will be a work in progress):

How-To's: Fender Cowl Braces, Subframe Lock Bolts, Transmission Crossmember Bushings, Master Cylinder Brace

icudruln

So....the plan for today didn't happen. More important things came up (the story its been since I've planned on installing the parts).

One thing made me depressed today...totalling the cost for all the parts I want before the motor build. $5,617....not including a cage, or any motor parts. Mostly all suspension, brakes, mounts, and gauges. :-o

Last edited:
It's ok buddy! Before my turbo build I realized that the total value of parts in my room + the parts I had installed that year was enough to buy ANY Japanese sport bike.... This made me second guess for about 2 days. I even thought about selling all my parts and my STI and getting a used C6 Z06 (I had found one with 20k miles for less than $40,000).

Then I realized something.... No matter what I have I WILL modify it and upgrade it. I wouldn't beable to afford massive upgrades while making payments on a $40k car and I would surely kill my self on a CBR600RR or GSX1000. I felt much better after that.

:tup:

icudruln

It's ok buddy! Before my turbo build I realized that the total value of parts in my room + the parts I had installed that year was enough to buy ANY Japanese sport bike.... This made me second guess for about 2 days. I even thought about selling all my parts and my STI and getting a used C6 Z06 (I had found one with 20k miles for less than $40,000).

Then I realized something.... No matter what I have I WILL modify it and upgrade it. I wouldn't beable to afford massive upgrades while making payments on a $40k car and I would surely kill my self on a CBR600RR or GSX1000. I felt much better after that.

:tup:

:lol: That means a lot, because that's exactly how I felt reading that list...I even made it worse after adding up all the parts for the motor build. I began questioning myself when the list ended up totalling around $16,000. Track built STi shall be no match for most cars around the track, or most cars in a straight line!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Wow impressive. You've saved about 170 some odd pounds. That's quite significant but I would imaging it is not a very quite ride. :lol:

icudruln

Wow impressive. You've saved about 170 some odd pounds. That's quite significant but I would imaging it is not a very quite ride. :lol:

NVH & a quiet ride are no fun :D I figure after I pull the AC and replace the bumper beams, it'll be around 240 lbs removed. Then on to a lightweight battery relocated to the back for that bit of weight distribution.