GD LJ's E85 STi: Addicted To Suspension Mods!

icudruln

very nice sir i have done alot of the same things u have in the waight reduction only thing i wont do is remove the subframe (u brace)... and how do u like the rear sube fram locking bolts i cant decied if i want thembut sence i upgraded 2 the solid motor mounts i want to upgrade every stock bushing 2 hard bushings from the trans back but anyways man very nice project u got going on here

I LOVE the subframe bolts. I originally thought they would be a minor difference given the price, but I actually felt the change they made. It was the first suspension mod I did besides the TiC Fender Cowl Braces. I drove the car around a turn pretty hard, and actually felt the rear end, instead of it being along for the ride. Install isn't difficult at all, and for the price, its a great addition to anyone looking for a tighter suspension/rear end.

icudruln

Looks like a great product! Had never seen it before, but might pick one up whenever i get around to buying a front sway and endlinks.

Definitely do it! Install was cake...but partially due to there being no rear seats or brackets in the way to begin with :D. It took me and a friend 20 minutes to install, and that was double checking everything. I figure with taking out the rear seats and brackets, maybe 45 minutes or so on the install. Cost vs benefits are great with the rear chassis bridge.

icudruln

Thunderstorms are in the forecast for tomorrow...I should be installing the sway bars, endlinks, and tranny crossmember bushings either way....unless its some crazy ass downpour since I can't close my small garage with the car on ramps :(.

icudruln

The goddamn rear endlinks are stuck on there. The nuts are just spinning :( I'm just gonna cut em off I think...

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
The goddamn rear endlinks are stuck on there. The nuts are just spinning :( I'm just gonna cut em off I think...

That sucks. Time to cut.

icudruln

I'm irritated and confused as to what's going on with the rear endlinks. I cut the bolts from chassis to endlink, and they won't come out. I tore up the stock endlink bushing to see if there was anything holding the endlink from coming out, but nothing. It's annoying when a simple install becomes a PITA. Any tips?

icudruln

I have a couple of ideas as to what do to, so we'll give it a try after me and the fiancee go grab some dinner. Rusty old bolts FTL.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I have a couple of ideas as to what do to, so we'll give it a try after me and the fiancee go grab some dinner. Rusty old bolts FTL.

Did you get it done?

icudruln

In other news, while the car was on ramps, I noticed a minor exhaust leak dripping moisture/carbon build up where the midpipe connects to the axle back section...I'll pick up the exhaust gasket tomorrow morning.

icudruln

It should be an easy fix. :tup:

Yeah I'm not worried about it...just annoyed with random things going on with it. Oh well, it'll be a 5-10 minute fix. I gotta take care of that rear sway bar today after work, then I'll get the exhaust gasket and get that done.

icudruln

Whiteline 24MM Adjustable Rear Sway Bar and Whiteline Adjustable Ball Link Endlinks

For as long as I've been in the Subaru scene, I've always heard sway bars were the one of the best suspension mods you could do, due to the cost vs benefits. In my quest to have a better handling suspension, I added the Whiteline 24MM Adjustable Rear Sway Bar and Whiteline Adjustable Ball Link Endlinks to my order. After finally installing these, I can see why everyone says sway bars are the best bang for the buck suspension mod.

Install on the Rear Sway Bar looked pretty easy, so I figured I mine as well finish up the rear end, as I previously did the Litespeed Rear Chassis Bridge and Whiteline Subframe Bolts. I got everything going smoothly, until I had to take off the stock endlinks from the bolt that goes to the lateral links. I try a million ways to get the nut off the endlink to lateral link, and it just spins. I started on the passenger side, and ran into the same thing. My general thinking is if its stuck, cut it; I asked JJ and Joey for tips/suggestions, and Joey showed me a trick that worked on the driver's side endlink. The passenger one I still had to cut off with a dremel.

Putting the new bar in was very straightforward and easy. I did the new sway bar bushings, sway bar mounts, and new endlinks to lateral links first, then bolted the endlinks to the sway bar.

Initial test drive was HOLY SHIT! With the mods I've put on being all on the rear end, the rear of the car feels extremely tight. The area I live in has uneven roads, and you can feel how the roads are even more. :lol: Turns feel MUCH more planted. Overall, the rear sway bar tightens up the rear end much more than stock. I can't wait to see how the front one changes things... :)

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Ah I totally forgot to post a picture :(. I got it last Wednesday. Oil change this week! Much thanks Jordan :)

Please post a pic in the awesome forum so people can see your prize. :)

icudruln

Picked up an exhaust gasket and new OEM coil pack for Cylinder One yesterday, as well as fixing my passenger front door that wouldn't lock. I'll be taking care of that tomorrow, as well as the GS Master Cylinder Brace.

icudruln

I'm still waiting on my Goddamn tax returns! I just got off the phone with the IRS, and it was mailed to an address that didn't exist (wrong city), so it got sent back to the IRS in Illinois. They corrected it, and double checked the CORRECT address, but it'll take 3-4 more weeks to get here! :evil:

I'm waiting on the tax returns to get some more goodies, but I'm undecided what to do....help me pick!

Package 1:
AST 4100 Coilovers
Vorshlag Front & Rear Camber Plates

Package 2:
DBA 4000 Front & Rear Rotors
Project Mu B Force Front & Rear Pads
Motul Brake Fluid (currently running ATE Super Blue)
Install already purchased Goodridge SS Brake Lines
ATI Clock Pod
Defi Red Racer Boost, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp
GT Spec Oil Sandwich Adapter
AEM UEGO Wideband (mine's broke)

I plan on doing it all in the long run, but what will I be more happy with now? FWIW, my front rotors are slightly warped, hence considering the brakes. Also plan on getting some Beatrush motor mounts, tranny mount, and forged pitch stop before I put in the clutch.