GR RDKLSTi ? 518whp/492wtq (MD) 2008 STi

Deek

RIP Headgasket, at least partially.

...that's the assumption anyways; excess oil consumption combined with radiator releasing coolant out of the cap and smoke screen behind the car if I boost anything over 15lb. Also noticed a sticky film inside the coolant overflow tank. Going out of town for work for a few weeks, so it's parked til March... not a happy camper.

Deek

Bummer, the car was the victim of a surprise colon inspection by a GMC HD2500. Thankfully he merely idle'd into us, so the damages are very limited.

Might take this opportunity to get some needed repairs done.

Deek

Engine was brought to OutFront Motorsports in Buena Park for assessment. Dropped sleeves was the issue, so yeah head gasket unseated. Time to find out where to go next.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I was never a fan of sleeved blocks below a certain HP. What are you having done to it now? Are you building another motor or is this one salvageable?

Deek

Could cut the block down to be even with the sleeves, but they could just drop again. Might take some internals from the built motor and put them in the short block from stock motor after closing the deck.

prestonztt

Could cut the block down to be even with the sleeves, but they could just drop again. Might take some internals from the built motor and put them in the short block from stock motor after closing the deck.

If the sleeves dropped, throw that block in the trash or make it a nice coffee table :) It will continue to blow headgaskets no matter what you do to that block.

One reason sleeves drop are due to the supports in the bottom of block not being cut properly; making the sleeves shift, move, lower, etc. There also could have been a problem with the block before the sleeves were ever installed. The stock liners can look just fine, but when you get to the final radius of the sleeve, tiny fractures can show up.

Deek

Agreed, more than likely taking my stock block to get closed by them and taking rods and crank from the other engine. I'll have an extra set of heads and a sleeved block to sell once all is said and done.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
HOT DAMN! I said.... HOT DAMNNN1!!!!!!!11!1!!1111 :shock:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Thanks pals. Going to start bolting things on tonight, my car gets outta the body shop Monday then it goes in.

Pics of every bolt put in! :lol:

Seriously pics though!!!!!!!

Deek

Pics posted in first post of thread

Not too much done yet today... dug some old Logitech 5.1 speakers out of the closet and brought them out to the garage since I'll be spending some time out there.

One step colder NGKs going in.

Wife's got the other car running some errands, once she's back I'm headed out to get some parts cleaner, degreaser and goo-gone to clean things up as they go on.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Awesome! Cant wait to see more! What music do you listen to when you work on your pride and joy?!

Deek

Awesome! Cant wait to see more! What music do you listen to when you work on your pride and joy?!

I think I had Breaking Benjamin queued up when I took the pic. Right now I've got Pandora hoppin between my "Chillstep" & "Macklemore" stations.

DubFx is on later.

Deek

Updated first post with information (finally). List might not be complete, just threw it together off of memory.

Deek

Picked the car up from auto body shop - rear bumper was replaced with OEM brand new. Pics posted in first post of thread.

Deek

Sweet, some parts came in that I needed to start bolting things onto the engine. Hopefully get some work in tonight, pics should follow.