GD Rehabilitating an abused bugeye

Z1107

So I bought this bugeye 3 months ago for 7800 with 100,000 miles. Has had two previous owners, the latter of the two was not kind to her. I know everyone says stay away from cars like this but the engine and tranny are sound. The suspension and certain parts of the drivetrain need some tlc. So my goal is to bring it back to good running order and then up to 250-275 whp, I know its not alot but it is a daily driver. Next year will be an engine swap to a JDM STI motor then maybe 350-400 whp. So im putting this up here to share my journey with you all and get advice as I go.

Mod List

Engine/Exhaust...
Aftermarket Headers
Aftermarket Up-pipe
3 inch turboback straight pipes w/HKS can
TD-05 16G turbo
TurboXS Hybrid BOV
Ebay special oil catch can
Cobb Accessport V2
Perrin Turbo Inlet
Perrin Drop In Filter
ProSport Manual Boost Controller

Suspension...
Hotchkis street swaybar suspension kit
Steel braided brake lines

Interior...
Agency Power Shift Knob
ProSport Halo Series Gauges

Exterior...
Tinted tailights
Black stock wheels
Rally Armor mudflaps
IGOTASTi decals

Parts to Come...
megan exhaust
greddy a/o separator
mines spoiler
agency power hose kit
mishimoto radiator
lightweight fly wheel
stage 2 clutch
Rally innovations light bar
Hella lights and horns
multiple suspension mods that I cant think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Z1107

So next week I will be replacing the front wheel bearings, timing belt, and water pump. One step closer.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
starting to feel that way already. but fuji has seen it and said its not that bad.

I wouldn't trust Fuji. :rofl: He's not normal.

STimedic

He's not, but if he blesses off on it, it has potential to either be sick or be sick. Good luck and nice to see another bugeye on here. I smell another STi transplant in the making...... :D

Z1107

the subie is going to the doctor today hopefully this allow me to start modding my car and not nursing it back to health

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Good luck. :)

Z1107

Just got back from the mechanic, they inspected and repaired the leaking rear diff (working great), fixed my a/c, and are now waiting for my new struts, and wheel bearings to come in. it was all free. wont get the car back till monday, so they gave me a loaner pos 09 honda civic.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Can't beat free. Congrats. :thumbsup:

Z1107

Yeah Im pretty happy, but after driving this civic all weekend im probably gonna a ticket or two after I pick up the subie.

Z1107

fml, dealership ordered the wrong wheel bearing so stuck with pos honda for another day. thinking of putting a subaru decal on it to make me feel better.

Z1107

When it rains it pours. Was called by the dealership right before closing saying they finished, picked the rex up and a CEL comes on halfway home. Go to a friends hook it up to the computer and find out one of my 02 sensor died. great.

Vermont

Is it the front or rear? If it is the rear you can just pull the sucker out and turn the code off. It is only used for emission purposes on GD's and GR's pretty sure its the same with the 02 Bugeye's as well.

Z1107

Bearing in my turbo went out today so I am now replacing the turbo this week. Any suggestions for someone on a budget.

Vermont

To bad about the O2 man. For a new/used cheep turbo. I would say look over on nasioc and IWSTI in the classifieds. I bet you could find a lightly used VF39 for cheep.

Z1107

So tomorrow I should be ordering the following, turbo, turbo inlet, turboxs hybrid bov, cobb accessport, and cobb sfi

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
So tomorrow I should be ordering the following, turbo, turbo inlet, turboxs hybrid bov, cobb accessport, and cobb sfi

Who are you ordering it from?