Spec-Ops Motorsports Tuning Day in Chesapeake, VA July 16th...............

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Tomorrows the day!

:cheers:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
You all better have your shirts on and I want pics. :)

Vermont

Tomorrow morning. I know matt wants to leave here around 5pm today, so we should make it to VA Beach around 8 or 9 tonight. However, we won't start on tuning and all until tomorrow morning.

Ok I will plan on showing up around 1000-1100. Its a 5 hour drive for me as well down from northern VA.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Hey guys! I just wanted to thank you for the experience. I had much fun! I learned much! And Matt you are a genius... I never would have believed it but your timing trick to increase spool works great. I tried it out on my car and my turbo now begins to spool at 3200 and reaches full boost at 3800. That is unheard of for a T60R.

I will be keeping the details of this a secret.

Oh yeah... Where's my damn shirt! :lol:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I have tried every conceivable adjustment you can think of with AVCS but I always ended up with something close to stock but with more advance. Unfortunately there is not much that can be done to improve spool with the GD AVCS but the GR with it's Exhaust AVCS you have a whole world of possibilities.

Who knows though... Yours, mine and Matt's minds together can probably do wonders. I need access to a dyno for a day!!!

Vermont

I have tried every conceivable adjustment you can think of with AVCS but I always ended up with something close to stock but with more advance. Unfortunately there is not much that can be done to improve spool with the GD AVCS but the GR with it's Exhaust AVCS you have a whole world of possibilities.

Who knows though... Yours, mine and Matt's minds together can probably do wonders. I need access to a dyno for a day!!!

You know George I do have a GR..... I do not mind what so ever if you were to say "test" some of these timing tricks on my setup..... :D

I had a blast as well guys. Thanks for the over all awesome experience. I can't wait to install my pump this week, and watch my IDC's drop for once.

Undecisive

I just wanted to say good job to the Spec Ops team while they were there for setting the EVO X FP black, stock block, pump gas record! Great Job guys!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You know George I do have a GR..... I do not mind what so ever if you were to say "test" some of these timing tricks on my setup..... :D

I had a blast as well guys. Thanks for the over all awesome experience. I can't wait to install my pump this week, and watch my IDC's drop for once.

Wow I do appreciate that but I cannot bring myself to experiment on someone elses car. Besides the AVCS is something that really can only be tested and adjusted properly on a dyno. This street testing isn't really reliable even with good virtual dyno software. There are just to many variables that get in the way and the results from one run to the other are not as repeatable as they are on a real dyno.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Hey - I'm willing to submit to experiments, not of my own making for a change, too ;)

Vermont

Wow I do appreciate that but I cannot bring myself to experiment on someone elses car. Besides the AVCS is something that really can only be tested and adjusted properly on a dyno. This street testing isn't really reliable even with good virtual dyno software. There are just to many variables that get in the way and the results from one run to the other are not as repeatable as they are on a real dyno.

Damn. I have been wondering how to tune the AVCS properly and so far haven't found very much info on the subject.

Undecisive

I've heard AVCS is such a pain to tune because it changes everything you have already dialed in. AVCS is pretty much an art form and there are only a few people in the country that have it down to a science. But I'm not sure they are willing to share their knowledge on the subject.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Damn. I have been wondering how to tune the AVCS properly and so far haven't found very much info on the subject.

True... there is one thread on Nasioc but even with the testing they have done the information just seems all over the place and I come out of it dumber than I went in.

I've heard AVCS is such a pain to tune because it changes everything you have already dialed in. AVCS is pretty much an art form and there are only a few people in the country that have it down to a science. But I'm not sure they are willing to share their knowledge on the subject.

This is so true because it messes with the volumetric efficiency which in turn effects everything. The only thing I was able to confirm on the street is that larger turbos require more advance in the mid and high load and low to mid rpm.

Undecisive

AVCS tuning makes my head want to explode, I doubt I'll really be touching it when I tune the sti on Hydra, unless Phil @ Element knows AVCS and is willing to help me tune that section.

Spec-Ops Motorsports

Inactive Vendor
Hey guys! I just wanted to thank you for the experience. I had much fun! I learned much! And Matt you are a genius... I never would have believed it but your timing trick to increase spool works great. I tried it out on my car and my turbo now begins to spool at 3200 and reaches full boost at 3800. That is unheard of for a T60R.

I will be keeping the details of this a secret.

Oh yeah... Where's my damn shirt! :lol:

Thanks for the kind words George. Its taken me, as well as learning things off others input, years to get where I'm at. Part of being a good tuner is being willing to listen to others, try new things(preferably on your own car or a guinea pig who works at the shop:lol:), living on your laptop everyday and then applying everything you learn into a solid tune for the customer. We stress ALOT on our tunes having great gas mileage,driveability and all that combined with performance. Our company has been built on tuning. Jason and I fed off each others knowledge in the beginning and along the way picked up even better tweaks along the way. We helped develop SD for the Evo 9's in the evo community along with the genius Tephra, who now is on Cobb's payroll. Everyone has their way of tuning and with all our resources in our company I'm sure it can only get better.

I'm getting your shirt made this week damnit!!! :lol:

Yes! matt has some serious tricks up his sleeve. I think we can get even MOAR out of your turbo with some AVCS adjustments

You deserve alot of credit with the Subies we're now tuning brother. Spending late nights out teaching me how to navigate through the Cobb software and taking the time to invest in helping me deserves alot of credit. Now I can only repay the favor but getting you up to par on you tuning your car next. You will be BETTER than me!

Who knows. Maybe a dyno will be in the near future. Also, Gino is motivated to get back in the seat too. Thats one more "GOOD" tool to have on our side :lol: He's not a tool all the time!

-Matt

Last edited: