The Batmobile_Engage Member Journal

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I should really just hurry up and send my Cobb AP back for refurbishment/replacement. I have sat on that too long.

My trans is not doing well. It used to be that 5th was just a little notchy, then 4th started getting bad. 4th is worse now, 5th is just as bad and 3rd is starting to show problems. I was trying to put the redline/motul cocktail in the tranny a couple months ago, but I cannot get either drain plug out of the transmission, no matter what I do. I've gone through multiple bottles of PB Blaster and at least one whole propane torch tank. Still can't bust them loose. I ended up ruining one of the two drain plugs as well. It seems that the last shop that did my clutch replacement put the plugs in with an impact wrench and now I'm fucked.

I'm just going to bide my time until I can have the money to get the synchros replaced.

Pull the drain pan on the transmission to drain the fluid. My tans drain bolt is stuck as well and I just full the bolts right above the drain plug when I need to dean my transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
That's probably what I'm going to end up doing. Maybe once the pan is out, I can get the damaged lower plug out on the bench. The upper drain plug is completely seized as well, though it's not damaged, so I should probably give it another try with a +6 foot cheater bar.

I put in an online request with Oak Leaf Auto Salvage to see if they can get me a lower transmission pan and plug. If they can, that might be the better option.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Gotta love our fucking winters with that wretched salt!!! :angry:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
The salt doesn't help, but I'm pretty sure the retards that did my last clutch job put the drain plugs back in with an impact wrench, because they are mentally deficient. Otherwise, I should be able to break them loose with a breaker bar and a 5 foot pipe. :lol: Douches. I guess that's what happens when you are still new to the area and don't know what shops can be trusted.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
So I got ahold of Cobb Tuning yesterday and I'm going to send in my AccessPort V2. I've had it for years and it's waaaaay past warranty, so it will be $150 to repair/replace it. He didn't give me a price on this option yet, but he said I could get a heavy discount on a V3 if I send in my V2. They will swap my tune and any other saved data from the V2 to the V3 for me.

I wonder how much they will ask for that. If it's not too outrageous, I will probably go that route. Do you guys with V3's like them?

I'm going to email Clint at Heuberger Subaru pretty soon and get a quote on that lower transmission oil pan, bolts and drain plug.

Aaaand my replacement fuel filter is on it's way. So I guess I have enough on my plate for right now. Hopefully I can get everything done in a reasonable amount of time and get the Batmobile back on the road soon!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We have the V2 in our 04 STi and the V3 in the 16 STi. Get the V3!!!! ;)

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Supposedly, for the V2 to V3 upgrade, it's Tree-Fiddy, shipped. Hopefully, my V2 isn't soooo dead that they can't recover the tune and sync data. I guess the only way to find out is to send it in.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Supposedly, for the V2 to V3 upgrade, it's Tree-Fiddy, shipped. Hopefully, my V2 isn't soooo dead that they can't recover the tune and sync data. I guess the only way to find out is to send it in.

It will be saved in the Rom. You should be good to go. ;)

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
It should be. I hope you're right. Ryan Ellis at Cobb just emailed me and said it's very rare for them to not be able to recover tunes/data from
a beat up old AccessPort. So I'm just going to trust them and send it in.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
It should be. I hope you're right. Ryan Ellis at Cobb just emailed me and said it's very rare for them to not be able to recover tunes/data from
a beat up old AccessPort. So I'm just going to trust them and send it in.

They can do it! ;)

The discount for the v2 to v3 is half off according to there web page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
V2 connector dongle sucks dick. The last Sub model of V2 was fixed in that aspect. V3 is where it is at, dude. Legit quality.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I am cheep so I went with open source

Open source is fine. I've had an open source tune before. The thing is, I like having the AccessPort as a diagnostic tool and also for some light duty logging.

now not trying to be an advocate for open source, but it does same thing.

• 72Mhz 32-bit processor
  • USB 2.0 full speed device (USB-A/Mini cable included)
  • Field upgradeable software
  • Supports these major OBD protocols:
    • CAN 2.0 (CAN/ISO15765)
    • K-line (ISO9141/ISO14230(KWP2000)/dual K line)
  • J2534 PassThru support with Windows DLL
  • Standalone datalogs to microSD / microSDHC card without a laptop
  • Able to apply GND or 5V-25V to OBD pins 1,3,9,11,12,13 or AUX 2.5mm stereo connector
  • Able to log from Innovate Motorsports 2.5mm stereo MTS data bus
  • RGB status LEDs

Additionally. with use of free SSM, ecuflash, and romraider I have access to every bit of diagnostic tools i need. Now the down side is with exception to logging to a microsd car you require a laptop for everything else. Upside is that you will not be forced to update the hardware in a few years because COBB is pushing the V4 COBB at the time which at that time you will have to upgrade or lose support for your current v2. Sorry i know you v2 is broke only using this as an example.

That being said I prefer open source over COBB for these reason.

Oh, and I am cheep. No surprise there. :tard: I can buy a new Tactrix 2.0 cable that can be used on as many Subaru's as i want for 169 new vs 600 new ever few years. Finally, the tractrix cable is not limited to one car like the COBB AP is.

Ok i am done rant over.. lol

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Heuberger Subaru hooked it up. I've got a new lower transmission oil pan, the mounting bolts and drain plug on order. Should be here sometime next week. Right around $50 shipped! Great deal! Now I'll finally be able to put in the AndrewTech Transmission Cocktail (Motul Gear 300 + Redline Lightweight Shockproof) and see if that improves my terrible grinding issues.