What tires to buy?

What tires should I buy?

• Total voters

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I'm replacing the original tires on my 04 STi. My STi has about 10,500 miles on it now, and after sitting many winters they are hard and ready to be replaced. They don't make the Bridgestone Potenza RE070s anymore, and now I have to choose something new. :banghead: I have it down to two choices. You can vote on the poll and tell me what you think would be the best choice and why. Please only vote if had experience with either of these tires and please no whoring on the answers. Thanks JJ.

1. Bridgestone Potenza RE-11

2. Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

Last edited:

John

I vote for Potenzas. I love my set. Mine are RE01s and grip great. The RE11 should be somewhat better.

Last edited:

bugeye_fever

I'd have to say Star specs as I have run them in many autoX's. But it really depends on your goals, what are you gonna do with them? Do you have a spare set of tires for winter?

Also, star specs are about ~$50 a tire cheaper depending on size. I have to concede that tirerack survey's puts the re-11 over the star spec, but not by very much!

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I'd have to say Star specs as I have run them in many autoX's. But it really depends on your goals, what are you gonna do with them? Do you have a spare set of tires for winter?

Also, star specs are about ~$50 a tire cheaper depending on size. I have to concede that tirerack survey's puts the re-11 over the star spec, but not by very much!

The car sits in winter as its never sees snow, salt, or no bad weather. I want a great handling tire for the street and autocross. Looks like we have a tie so far.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
So what is the real big difference between them both?

bugeye_fever

According to survey's on tire rack http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=EP The RE-11 has slightly better dry performance, with the star spec having slightly better wet performance. There's about 3 times the mileage reported on the star spec though. I can vouche for the star spec, i love them, wet or dry, they do need some time to warm up though for autoX, usually like the first run.

One thing that interests me about the RE-11's is a better rating for noise comfort. There is a spot at about 47 mph that my star specs are kinda noisy, but that could just be the fact that they're pretty worn now, I don't remember that noise for the first 10k I put on them. Thats something i'd put up with for the price though.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Get the Star Specs or Ill uterus punch you like I do Fuji.

Well I don't want that, lol.

It looks like the star specs are winning. I'm shocked to be honest that they are winning.

Vermont

Potenza's FTW...... I hate the dunlops on my car right now. They were just to hard of tire for track use. They have great life on them but horrible grip. I will be going with the Potenza next my self. Will never use dunlops ever again......

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Potenza's FTW...... I hate the dunlops on my car right now. They were just to hard of tire for track use. They have great life on them but horrible grip. I will be going with the Potenza next my self. Will never use dunlops ever again......

Oh boy, now I'm so confused.

Vermont

Oh boy, now I'm so confused.

08-10 STI's came with Dunlop SP600's on them. On both track sessions I was went to with the STI the biggest problem I had was loss of traction.... I was at stage 2 OTS and the tires just would not hold the power coming out of turns. I really had to be careful or it would get all squirrelly on me.

bugeye_fever

Interesting review of the 600's, after looking them up on tirerack they're spec'd very close to star spec's: 200 treadwear, traction and temp ratings both A(which means little to me other than the 2 tires 'ought to be very similar.) I personally chose the star spec's after great reviews of them from Turn in Concepts on their TT car, and looking around the local AutoX grid.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I'm so confused now that I have no idea what tires to buy now. :(

bugeye_fever

Yeah, since when did the manufacturer ever put good tires on a car from the factory? lol RE070's included. Star spec's are pretty much the performance benchmark since they came out. There are plenty of other good tires out there to chose from, but seems like they're always baseing performance off of the star spec. Tell you what, let me know what size your looking at, and if you don't like the star spec, i'll buy them off of ya, mine are beat.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Yeah, since when did the manufacturer ever put good tires on a car from the factory? lol RE070's included. Star spec's are pretty much the performance benchmark since they came out. There are plenty of other good tires out there to chose from, but seems like they're always baseing performance off of the star spec. Tell you what, let me know what size your looking at, and if you don't like the star spec, i'll buy them off of ya, mine are beat.

In gonna do 245/45/17