What tires to buy?

What tires should I buy?

• Total voters

Paul.c

^agreed. R comps are for pussies. Or extremely experienced drivers who are out to win nationals. No offense to those who run r comps ;)

Last edited:

Z1107

Ive been following this thread closely because Im going to be replacing my tires soon. Heres my dilemma, even though I live in the deep south when winter roles around it ices up pretty bad here (I live in the Appalachian foothills/mtns), not so much snow but ice. It doesnt ice enough to justify the cost of winter tires, so what is a good cost effective tire for performance and weather. And before anyone says "Then Dont Drive!" Ive lived in snow covered areas, been EVOC trained, so I know how to handle ice.

Paul.c

This past winter here in tx we got a good 1.5-2 consecutive weeks of solid ice. I made due just fine on my star specs. Just had to leave for work 2 hours earlier than normal because all of the ass hats who can't drive.

Z1107

No shit, I cant stand the assholes down here who think that having a 4x4 lets them drive like a bat out of hell on the ice.

Rice Rocket

This past winter here in tx we got a good 1.5-2 consecutive weeks of solid ice. I made due just fine on my star specs. Just had to leave for work 2 hours earlier than normal because all of the ass hats who can't drive.

Ass hats. Lol. I love that.

STimedic

And it's about the truth. Way back when I bought my car in Nov 05, it came with 19" Motegi FF7's and crap Fuzion ZRi's. I made it up to the mtns and back for my brothers' boy scout camping trip (tested my rally skillz on the iced-over hard-pack on my way back, the scoutmasters doubted I'd even make it there, much less back, made sure I was out first). Then I drove overnight through the all-out blizzard that hit the first week of Dec to drop off my car to be shipped to Germany, beating the DOT across Kansas as they shut down parts of I-70. As soon as I got into TX, no one apparently knew how to handle the icy conditions, which also kept them out of the left lane, allowing me to buzz over the Louisville Lake bridge at the speed limit whilst everyone else went at a snails' crawl down I-35. Also, a Dodge pickup almost came over the median wall separating the NB and SB lanes.....that was kind of scary. Then there was also the time in Jan/Feb 03 when I was at Hood that they shut down the base and I numbered among the few to be out hooning in the ice.....in my 03 Neon I had at the time no less. Growing up in CO and delivering Papa John's in near white-out conditions groomed me for icy/snowy situations!

bugeye_fever

For a good all season tire I like the new Continental Extreme contact DWS. It seems to have some nice features and is pretty well liked and isn't to expensive. But I haven't ever driven on them. In the past I've had Pirelli PZero Nero A/S which were really nice and pretty expensive, they came on the car. And Yokohama AVID W4S currently in the garage. Both have handled Missouri winter and I have no complaints on either.

Vermont

Dude just toss on some Qingdao's for your ride. No need for anything else. Heck if they are good enough for my Celica, then they will be more than enough for any lowly subaru.... :tard:

Paul.c

For a good all season tire I like the new Continental Extreme contact DWS. It seems to have some nice features and is pretty well liked and isn't to expensive. But I haven't ever driven on them. In the past I've had Pirelli PZero Nero A/S which were really nice and pretty expensive, they came on the car. And Yokohama AVID W4S currently in the garage. Both have handled Missouri winter and I have no complaints on either.

When I was looking at all season tires these are what I was going to buy. But then got wise and realised I couldn't afford two sets of tires and another set of wheels.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I wonder why the Star Specs are $200 cheaper. That's a big chunk of change.

Vermont

Pansies! After you've driven an S2k in the snow, come whine!

I like my Federal 595s. Nice and cheap, less than $500 mounted and balanced for all four! :tard:

HA! Real men get retreaded Chinese Qingdao's..... 185/70-14..... Yeah drive that in the snow.... (btw all four corners for 150 dollars!) :tard:

Vermont

Commie bastard! And it can't be nearly as bad as an s2k with bald rear tires in the snow

O it is a lot worse. I lose traction on dry pavement. Before I put these tires on, I did not have a single matching tread pattern or brand of tire on my car.... Also unlike your S2K my Celica has some thing we like to call torque :tard:.

STimedic

Can't be much worse than driving in snow/ice on Nitto NT555's........Gino saw about what those were good for. Dorifto's, high-speed figure 8's and axis spins til you were dizzy.

Rice Rocket

Oh yea!!! Drive a POS Army M113 up the side of a korean mountain with an ice flow on it and a angry SSG that keeps whacking you in the head with an antennae. Pucker factor 8

Vermont

Oh yea!!! Drive a POS Army M113 up the side of a korean mountain with an ice flow on it and a angry SSG that keeps whacking you in the head with an antennae. Pucker factor 8

Ha screw you I had my face stomped into the steering wheel of an old m1151 by my gunner when I was 17 year old brand new dick......

<-Life sucks mostest here ;P

STimedic

I used to drive a POS M113.....and I destroyed one once on Ft. Hood. At night. And my TC was none too happy about it either, he almost lost some teeth.

Rice Rocket

Lol. Great stories.
On the serious side I actually tried to strangle my driver in Iraq. We were driving southbound on Tampa just before sunrise. It was during Ramadan in 06. He wasn't paying attention and he rolled right over a pressure plate IED. He thought it was funny it didn't blow. He was a replacement private and hadn't been there as long as the rest of us. So when he laughed it flipped a switch in me.