What tires to buy?

What tires should I buy?

• Total voters

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I promise you will like the star specs. Best tire especially for the price.

I can't believe I'm getting this many mixed reviews.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
O I see how it is.....

▲ ▲
Just completely disregard my opinion. Well guess who I wont drunk call with luke any more.... ;)

I'm on your side to be honest. I'm thinking Potenza, but everyone might kill me if I don't get Star Specs.

Paul.c

Get whatever you want. They are both great tires. I just know I have seen more positive reviews of the star specs. Either way you're not buying shitty tires.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Get whatever you want. They are both great tires. I just know I have seen more positive reviews of the star specs. Either way you're not buying shitty tires.

The Star Specs are about $200 cheaper. They both rank super close in ratings.

Z1107

Its amazing having a german grandmother that I cant spraken ze deutsch, but I can understand it. So the star specs are a good all around tire?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
That is correct. :tup:

well.... unless you are concerned about tread wear.

Nope I'm not. Just want the best performance possible.

You got to pay to play. That's what my wife tells me anyways. :)

Vermont

Nope I'm not. Just want the best performance possible.

You got to pay to play. That's what my wife tells me anyways. :)

What class in auto cross do you run man? A buddy of mine was telling me about one of the Nitto's that he runs on his lightning for street drag (don't know exact class) What he did tell me though was they are a DOT approved R compound semi slick race tire. Key there is DOT approved. If you would like I could find more info about them for you.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What class in auto cross do you run man? A buddy of mine was telling me about one of the Nitto's that he runs on his lightning for street drag (don't know exact class) What he did tell me though was they are a DOT approved R compound semi slick race tire. Key there is DOT approved. If you would like I could find more info about them for you.

I run SM right now for autocross.

Vermont

I run SM right now for autocross.

Are R compounds allowed if they are a DOT street tire? Sorry I am more familiar with rally-X my self.

Edit- Not Nitto but hoosier apparently makes the best "cheater" slick. The Hoosier R3S03 and the A3S03 are from I have been reading the best for grip out there. While still being a DOT legal tire. Not sure how your tech inspector would feel about you rolling up on those though. Tread rating for either are under 100..... :tard:

Last edited:

bugeye_fever

Yes, DOT approved R comps are legal for SM, I run this class as well. You would not be out of the ordinary to roll up to tech with them, however if you roll TO the autoX in them, that would be a terrible idea! LOL Yes they are DOT approved but the manufacturer does not recommend use on the street. The Hoosier A6 is a softer compound AutoX tire and the R6 is a harder compound road race tire. The 2 recommended above have been discontinued. Keep in mind, a cheater slick for drag racing is not ideal for AutoX or road racing.

Other good R comps are Kumho V710's and I've seen alot of guys here locally running the Hankook Ventus Z214's C71 soft compound, although some time attack guys use the softer C91 which I can only believe would better for AutoX, and therefore... full of win:tup:

I personally just got a set of Kumho V700 victoracers which I believe are harder and better suited for roadracing, but there old and beat up, and I got them for free. I figure old beat r comps will have better grip than old beat star specs, lol.

Vermont

Yes, DOT approved R comps are legal for SM, I run this class as well. You would not be out of the ordinary to roll up to tech with them, however if you roll TO the autoX in them, that would be a terrible idea! LOL Yes they are DOT approved but the manufacturer does not recommend use on the street. The Hoosier A6 is a softer compound AutoX tire and the R6 is a harder compound road race tire. The 2 recommended above have been discontinued. Keep in mind, a cheater slick for drag racing is not ideal for AutoX or road racing.

Other good R comps are Kumho V710's and I've seen alot of guys here locally running the Hankook Ventus Z214's C71 soft compound, although some time attack guys use the softer C91 which I can only believe would better for AutoX, and therefore... full of win:tup:

I personally just got a set of Kumho V700 victoracers which I believe are harder and better suited for roadracing, but there old and beat up, and I got them for free. I figure old beat r comps will have better grip than old beat star specs, lol.

:tup::tup: :tup: