The Batmobile_Engage Member Journal

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
[MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION] where have you been lately? I thought you'd like to see this. You probably never thought this day would come ^^^ :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Stripped down to the longblock! On the top half of the engine at least.
7ebdff8aa0c50f47cce71e73bdffb544.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
After everything going pretty smoothly for the first few days of work, I finally hit my first big snag. All the bolts on
my downpipe-to-midpipe connection and header-to-uppipe connections are rusted to shit. The uppipe bolts *might* still
come out but the midpipe nuts and bolts are literally crumbling. I'm going to have to get out the saws-all and cut-off wheel.

Times like this make me wish the car was on a frame lift and not just on ramps in my garage. Hello, sparks and shrapnel in the face! :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Hmmm....do I need a new oil pump for this build or should I be okay with swapping over the pump on my current engine to the new block?

Hmmm....do I need a new oil pump for this build or should I be okay with swapping over the pump on my current engine to the new block?

If your going with new engine, why take risk of using a used critical part. Remember oil is the life blood of your engine. That being said I would replace it and save yourself from a headache later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
If your going with new engine, why take risk of using a used critical part. Remember oil is the life blood of your engine. That being said I would replace it and save yourself from a headache later.

That's what I was thinking. But I also wondered why the whole package of parts I bought for this build didn't include or even suggest an oil pump. Made me wonder if they are commonly reused. I think I will be putting one on order when I call about the fuel system components I still need.

It's worth noting, I only have 71,000 miles on the car. No spring chicken, but then again, not a +200,000 mile organ donor either.

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Good idea. Not sure just yet what I'll use. Maybe DEI Titanium (the gold foil tape stuff). I definitely want to clean up, repaint/touch up a few things in there and wrap or re-wrap everything that needs it. It's not filthy, but it's seen better days.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Coming home from class last night, I swing my headlights into the driveway and find an engine hoist and engine stand in front of the garage door. One of my buddies (who swapped a twin-turbo 460 cu.in. big block into his jet boat) finished up his work and loaned me his hoist and stand!

Deer Season (firearm) opens one week from Thursday. Let's hope I get one early on, so I can turn my attention back to the Subie!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
What would you say if I told you I was considering replacing my ATP GT3071R with a Garrett GT3582R? @Alin @Grinder34 @HolyCrapItsFast

That would definitely ensure that I reach my wheel horsepower goals. Now I just need another $1,000. :unsure:

Anyone want to buy a stock location ATP GT3071R with zero shaft play?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Consider maybe a GT3576R. The 3582 needs a tremendous amount of flow to get the thing going so unless you don't mind spooling at 5500 rpm then it would be fine. :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Consider maybe a GT3576R. The 3582 needs a tremendous amount of flow to get the thing going so unless you don't mind spooling at 5500 rpm then it would be fine. :tup:
That's what I was afraid of, but my buddy says it's essentially the same turbo he ran on his Evo build and at anything above 4000rpms, it was on boost RIGHT NOW.

He's pretty trustworthy, but I don't know what I think of that. Keep in mind, I will be running BC 272 cams, not sure how that'll affect spool yet.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Regarding your current turbo, I see one sold on 10/7/18 for $700 on ebay sold listings. However, it wasn't a stock location model like yours.

Throw it up on Craigslist to gauge interest in the meantime since it doesn't cost or hurt anything! :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Lots of work today. Finally got the engine out!
9a113a0ad24e55a3a714d323f4b9489f.jpg
70331bb995d81538b2ad571616c079db.jpg
ba3a3733784729b1524d209a60d2fa56.jpg
d9122650ce5fc94bd855c453d5e8a634.jpg
5d8bd864fab02b5663899a83d7eb256d.jpg
f53429b3ba7f08b8e3ab3fa9d5d2fd3e.jpg
47f4958c968b9eae66b09e21d762c16b.jpg

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Soooo today, I ended up doing what I originally said I would NOT do during this build: buy another turbo.

I ended up going with a custom turbo build:

11-blade Billet Compressor Wheel.
60 lbs/min flow capacity.
Dual-Feed Hydrostatic ball-bearings.
10cm turbine.
3" compressor inlet
Internal Wastegate, 1Bar spring.

Power comparisons: 2015 STI Stock heads, full exhaust, fmic, 1300cc inj, 530whp on E85/480whp on 93 octane.

2013 WRX stock heads, 272 cam, full exhaust, tmic, 1300cc inj, 540whp on E85 @ 27 psi.

I'm not that keen on E85, but I do have the capability to run it and store more than one tune. So while I will definitely start out on 93 octane, I may add an E85 tune to my Cobb AP as well.

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
^^^ UPDATE ^^^

Anyone want to buy a turbo, @Alin ?
Absolutely zero shaft play.

Read up for more.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Sorry I'm a little late back to the party. Not that this is relevant any more but you can't compare evo spool characteristics with an STi. It's apples and oranges. Regarding your cams, high duration cams shift the power band upward so you will sacrifice low end torque for high end power. Bigger cams help with larger turbos and provide them with more flow but again, not until your are up there in the rpm. It will hit hard though like being hit from behind by a freight train. You could improve spool with valve timing but only marginally.

That's what I was afraid of, but my buddy says it's essentially the same turbo he ran on his Evo build and at anything above 4000rpms, it was on boost RIGHT NOW.

He's pretty trustworthy, but I don't know what I think of that. Keep in mind, I will be running BC 272 cams, not sure how that'll affect spool yet.

Are you open source or cobb?

Why not do a flexfuel setup. It is well worth it. I sell a Flex Fuel controller that blows everything else on the market away and it is half the price.

Sorry had to plug my product, but seriously consider flex fuel

Soooo today, I ended up doing what I originally said I would NOT do during this build: buy another turbo.

I ended up going with a custom turbo build:

11-blade Billet Compressor Wheel.
60 lbs/min flow capacity.
Dual-Feed Hydrostatic ball-bearings.
10cm turbine.
3" compressor inlet
Internal Wastegate, 1Bar spring.

Power comparisons: 2015 STI Stock heads, full exhaust, fmic, 1300cc inj, 530whp on E85/480whp on 93 octane.

2013 WRX stock heads, 272 cam, full exhaust, tmic, 1300cc inj, 540whp on E85 @ 27 psi.

I'm not that keen on E85, but I do have the capability to run it and store more than one tune. So while I will definitely start out on 93 octane, I may add an E85 tune to my Cobb AP as well.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Are you open source or cobb?

Why not do a flexfuel setup. It is well worth it. I sell a Flex Fuel controller that blows everything else on the market away and it is half the price.

I have a Cobb AP V3.

Honestly, I'd be paranoid to run an E85 tune withOUT a FlexFuel setup, with as screwy as the seasonal blends can be. That said, I always ruled that out inthe past as prohibitively expensive.

How much $ are we talking about here and what work is involved. I don't want to sound like a cheap ass but I've already got thousands and thousands into this car. :lol: