Gauges.

R3V

Ok guys, I'm looking for a matching full set of gauges: Boost, AFR, EGT, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure.

Accurate, relatively good looking (if I have to stare at them for the next 3-4 years they better be IMO :lol:), and while I AM willing to pay I'd like to keep it reasonable. We can also use this thread to discuss various options available, and I'll update this initial post with a ranking + details on whats out there to allow future buyers/members to have a database of sorts to refer to and make an informed decision from.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Maddad 3-in-1. It's got Boost, EGT and Oil Temp. Furthermore, it was modeled specifically after the GR subaru so the font, colors, bezel should all match.

Allegedly he's coming out with another 3-in-1 with AFR, Oil Pressure, and another temp gauge (IAT?).

I've got the first one in my GD and it's ALMOST a perfect match.

IMG_20110810_151614.jpg

That picture makes the colors look way more different than they are. The problem is just the oem gauges are in shadow and the aftermarket one is not.

edit: found a blurry one that shows stuff better.

IMG_20110804_184644.jpg

Alright I'll also do a quick write-up of the pros/cons

Pros:
Cheaper than a lot of alternatives, especially if you have to buy 3.
Designed to mimic OEM.
Keeps interior clutter down (any 3-in-1 does this though).
Includes remote
Adjustable warnings for each gauge
Doesn't require a controller (see first pro!)

Cons:
Color SLIGHTLY off of my GD version's red.
White needle (again, designed for GR), so i guess this is being picky.
Doesn't have a controller (also on the pro list) so wiring a 2nd will be trickier than i'd like.
Peak recall for EGT and Oil Temp are broken. It does peak recall, but the peak doesnt reset unless you unplug the gauge or battery. I think thats a first-production-run issue and should be fixed in later batches. Peak recall for boost works perfectly.
Brightness doesn't doesn't go quite as DIM as i would like for night driving. The dimmest setting is about the same as the brightest dash setting when headlights are on. The gauge auto-dims to this level.
Warning beep almost inaudible. It flashes, but i tend to not notice that.

Last edited:

R3V

Prosport EVO greens are pretty nice.

I second this option. These are the kind I'm saving up for haha

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

There are issues with those, but they are my first choice pending a response from Prosport. This is the email I sent to them/message sent on NASIOC with response.

Scott.

First let me thank you in advance for the feedback. Let me address each of the questions below.

1) That is not possible. the EVO series uses Ohms and the Premium series uses volts for the signal so they are not compatible even for additional money. The senders we use for EVO series and Performance series and digital series are of good quality. We have used them for many years. In fact in addition to the 10's of thousands we use we also make and supply the same senders to many other gauge companies. Their are much cheaper senders available but we do not use them and also try to steer our OEM customers away from them as well. Some well know gauge companies do not even supply senders with their gauges at all.

2) I think you are talking about the wiring right? If so, the gauges draw very little current the the wiring we provide with the EVO and Performance series gauges is only to power/ground the gauge -inside the cab-not near any hot engine parts. The customer is responsible for wiring the gauge to sender and the sender ground wire on this series much like most other gauge companies like VDO, Stewart Warner, Autometer, etc.
On the contrary on Our premium series gauges they come with COMPLETE plug and play wiring harness's INCLUDING the gauge to sender which is a thicker wire with a outer cover on it.

3) Covered above

4) Sorry no, the EVO line is a brand new gauge -we are the first to bring this technology and lighting to market wining 4 awards at the SEMA show for innovation. The current demand for EVO is still pushing our manufacturing capability. As I write this we are currently out of stock (nationally) on Oil press. and volt and up until 3 days ago we were out of boost and Widebands. Think of them like an Iphone... We will make improvements on them but it will be at least a year from now.

We are taking market share away from Defi and AEM every month. That is a fact. AEM lowered their wideband prices because of us. Fact.

From the concerns you brought up it sounds like you may be happier with the Premium series gauges as they basically have all the features, benefits and ease of installation that you are looking for. I hope I answered all your questions, let me know if I missed anything or if you have anything else that comes to mind. We do appreciate the feedback and they will be added to our "list" to be sure we are always upgrading and making changes based on what the customers want.

Regards

Hello,

I am very interested in buying a full set (Boost, AFR, EGT, Oil Temp, and Oil Pressure) of your EVO series gauges for my 2006 Subaru STI. I have a few questions regarding the gauges that are holding me back from going all in on the purchase.

1. I have 2 friends both that had issues with the oil sender. I would want mine to come with the senders from the Premium gauges, as there are less fitment/accuracy issues.

2. The lines that come with the gauges are completely inadequate, I would want higher quality lines that can withstand the heat of an engine bay.

3. The wiring is extremely short in most cases, could extended wiring be included?

4. Is there any sort of peak/warning indicator that can be added?

I can think of more than a few people who would strongly consider these gauges against AEM/Defi if those few minor issues were addressed, even if each gauge costed an addition $20 - $30. Could you make something like that happen?

- Scott

R3V

I like the Maddad. If he released a second gauge covering AFR, Oil PRessure, and idk. Volts. I'd buy those two and be done with it. My issue is I can't stand non matching gauges.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I like the Maddad. If he released a second gauge covering AFR, Oil PRessure, and idk. Volts. I'd buy those two and be done with it. My issue is I can't stand non matching gauges.

I hear ya. Theres a looooong thread over on IW about it, and he several times mentioned that after the first 3-in-1 the would be a 2nd close behind. I've asked him a couple of times about it, but always with other questions, and he's never said when he'll get around to the 2nd gauge. Hopefully the second will be a much faster turn around as he's hopefully worked out all the kinks with the 1st.

I was in a position where I could afford to wait--and i still can. If he announces that his 2nd one will never be made, I'll try to sell mine and get a matching setup.

But by all means email PM Rich and see if you can get an answer out of him! I'd be extremely curious about the answer...but I'm pretty sure he's sick of getting emails from me by now!

R3V

I hear ya. Theres a looooong thread over on IW about it, and he several times mentioned that after the first 3-in-1 the would be a 2nd close behind. I've asked him a couple of times about it, but always with other questions, and he's never said when he'll get around to the 2nd gauge. Hopefully the second will be a much faster turn around as he's hopefully worked out all the kinks with the 1st.

I was in a position where I could afford to wait--and i still can. If he announces that his 2nd one will never be made, I'll try to sell mine and get a matching setup.

But by all means email PM Rich and see if you can get an answer out of him! I'd be extremely curious about the answer...but I'm pretty sure he's sick of getting emails from me by now!

Is he on here? Post up how I get a hold of him. Less is more, and if I can monitor the 5 things I want to with 2 gauges that's a big win for me.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
email Rich at daddysscp@daddysscp.com is probably the best way

On an related note, how similar do gauges generally look, from the rear/side? If the answer to that is they're pretty distinctive, then i'd bet that prosport is the manufacturer of the MadDad ones. Their premium series looks exactly like mine. when viewed from the side/back.

superthin.jpg

R3V

Pretty similar in terms of looks. I sent him a quick email, and I hope to get good new back!

Z1107

The prosport halo series are good too. That's what I'm running until I switch over to the EVO greens which I'm switching over for the aesthetics only.

R3V

The prosport halo series are good too. That's what I'm running until I switch over to the EVO greens which I'm switching over for the aesthetics only.

It's a shame the boost is electronic and lags so much. The mechanical halo is instant. I'm still strongly considering the Evo's despite their drawbacks.

R3V

They look good don't they.

Yeah man, they look awesome though maybe a bit boy-racer. No peak/warning/recall is fairly lame though since I don't actually look at my gauges when I get on it, so I'd have to learn to kinda see it in my peripheral if I were to get them.

jswansti

I have Auto Meter gauges, one of the few sti's ive seen with them. Not really sure why, but they aren't that popular in our community. I love them though. They have silver bezel rings that match damn close to stock, and the face lighting is red, so that goes well with the stock gauges too. They aren't backlit like a lot of gauges, so the red light just illuminates the face, but it does it pretty well. Never had any issues reading them at night. They have orange needles though which some don't like. Both of mine are mechanical, Boost and oil temp, and are quite accurate. They don't have fancy options like recall or anything though. I bought them because they matched oem well enough for me, work great, and didn't break the bank by any means like defi's would. I think there's a picture of them in my journal, but I don't remember for sure... they're the pro sport or comp II versions.

R3V

As requested:

Maddad may have just provided my gauge solution.

Hello!

I am very interested in your 3 in 1 gauge. I do have a small problem however, in that it would drive me nuts to see multiple brands of gauges in my car. I heard rumors that you may be releasing an AFR, oil pressure, and volt gauge in addition to the boost, EGT, temp. I wanted to both ask you if this is true, and encourage you to bring such a product to the market. The cost savings from buying these two, matching, and accuracy would be a killer combination. Please let me know if plans are in the works to make such a product, as I would be extremely interested. Thank you!

- Scott

Scott

We do have intentions to release a 3-1 one oil pressure gauge in this line. We printed the oil pressure gauge face at the same time we printed the boost gauge face so that has been the intention all along. We haven't committed to what the other 2 OLED gauge readings would be but are leaning toward another temp(would work as oil or water or trans temp) and most likely an A/F. We don't have an eta yet on the second gauge but it will eventually be released later this year.

Rich

Grinder34

Track Monkey
woot! that's awesome. I'm glad you got an answer outta him! Are you going to wait for the 2nd one to come out before getting the first?

I installed 6 of the Prosport Evo series in my subie based on a recomendation from another member from this site. I am very pleased with the quality and look of them.
Only knock I have is I wish the wiring harnesses provided for the gauges were longer. I had to make some new ones to run the lengths I wanted to.

R3V

I installed 6 of the Prosport Evo series in my subie based on a recomendation from another member from this site. I am very pleased with the quality and look of them.
Only knock I have is I wish the wiring harnesses provided for the gauges were longer. I had to make some new ones to run the lengths I wanted to.

Video? Definitely need lots of pics! How's the boost gauge? Responsive/quick? Easy to see during the day? I'm still really considering them.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Last edited: