GD LJ's E85 STi: Addicted To Suspension Mods!

icudruln

I wonder if this is my issue? I found this on "another" site. New fuel filter vs old one at 60k (NOT MINE!):

138089955.jpg

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I just replaced mine... well relocated it really. I removed it and put an in-line filter up front. Regardless mine was filthy like a whore on 42nd street but it didn't seem to make any difference for me.

icudruln

I just replaced mine... well relocated it really. I removed it and put an in-line filter up front. Regardless mine was filthy like a whore on 42nd street but it didn't seem to make any difference for me.

I might replace it. I'll see what my tuner says though...scheduled for May 3rd.

GoSlowInd

I'll take a look for you tomorrow if we have one in stock. Being an in-tank filter and Subaru claiming its a non-serviceable item I don't have high hopes though.

GoSlowInd

I searched high and low today, and nobody in town stocks that number. Like I've never had it where EPW, IPW, WorldPac, Keystone, One Stop, and myself all didn't have a particular part. Best bet is going to be a special order through Subaru, or ditch it for one in-line. Sorry I couldn't help you here...its rare for me not to be able to find a part.

icudruln

Thanks for looking Mike! We'll see what happens Tuesday at Mac and go from there. Jared or George: how exactly would you reroute it inline?

icudruln

Just got back from Mac. My tuner originally thought I had Deatchwerks injectors, but after knowing I had power enterprise, he believes that's the direct problem. The overall electrical design of their injectors leads to their issues. He's seen the same thing in both Subaru's and Nissan's (use side feed). He stated I won't cause or create any issues if I do drive it a bit....but issues could arise under hard driving.

From here, it looks like I'll be doing the T1R topfeed conversion with ID 1000cc injectors.

icudruln

So here's the final plan:

T1 Top Feed Fuel Rail Conversion
T1 Top Feed Fuel Rails
ID 1000cc Fuel Injectors
Top Feed TGV Deletes
Misc fittings and stainless steel fuel lines
New NGK spark plugs
Re-tune on E85

t1-subie.jpg

My tuner has had the same issues with Power Enterprise injectors for about 4 years, specifically with their sidefeed injectors and their pulsewidths causing misfires and lean codes, whether that be Nissan's or Subaru's. He originally though they were Deatchwerks injectors, and was surprised until he knew I was running Power Enterprise. We'd talked a bit about advancing the fuel system more; fuel surge tank, dual fuel pumps, adjustable FPR, and we'll end up adding quite a few things before/when we go big turbo.

Nick had looked over the original tune and original logs, and he asked if I wanted to still stay conservative with the tune; I want this setup to last, so I told him to keep it the same way. He figures with the new fuel setup, while staying conservative, I'll pick up another 5-10 WHP and another 10-15 WTQ. I'm not sure if I should step it up in boost level (currently at 17.5 psi) or not. Suggestions?

I've finally decided I'm going to do the coilovers and camber plates next, and then start diving into a motor build and rotated setup. The power won't be coming for a while though, given I'm getting a townhome, and then plan on starting to save for a house.

Last edited:

icudruln

So, in current news, I have a crazy amount of things going on in what's called life. Honestly, I'm frustrated, irritated, and tired of dealing with the car and trying to maintain and fix it, all while wanting and trying to build it how I want to. Between the fuel system, and awaiting clutch install, I don't have the time or money to finish it up. Too many things come first before the STi project right now...getting an apartment and that whole deal, plus being engaged. I have my daily, so I'm not worried about the STi; it's a luxury, not a necessity. In getting a new apartment, and my big thing is a place with a garage to park the STi for a bit while I work on it.

I have no time table for the car to come back out; whenever that time comes, it comes. I want the car done right, no issues day in and day out, while it being the car I've envisioned and want it to be. I'm putting together a build list to truly figure out where I want to take the car. Mainly, I'm very undecided with the power I want, as well as the money that goes into a built motor if I plan on going the rotated route.

Build List:
Grimmspeed Air Oil Seperator
Reverse Intake Manifold Front Mount Intercooler
ATI Clock Pod, Defi Gauges, PLX Wideband
DBA 4000 Rotors
Beatrush Motor Mounts, Pitchstop, Tranny Mount
AST 4100 Coilovers
Vorshlag Camber Plates
Oswald Subframe
Litespeed Bumper Beams
Whiteline Lateral Links, STi Trailing Links, Misc Whiteline Parts
Rota DPT 18x9
T1R Top Feed Fuel Rail Conversion, will match injectors/fuel pumps when power setup is figured out
*Completely undecided on power goodies* holding off on intake/turbo/exhaust/motor stuff until I'm dead set on where I want to go with the car

So from here on out, this journal and build will be put on hold until more important things are done and taken care of.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I hear ya on the life part of it. Don't give up! Never give up the fight my friend.

CFEJ257

Your killing me Larry I miss the daysthat our cars ran right LOL well the dsm kinda ran.

Last edited:

Undecisive

Well life has it's downfalls and this time just happens to be one of them, just remember for the first year of marriage to let the car stuff stay on the back burner. After that it's kosher.

Also, If you do end up using the car for a Time Attack / HPDE style build, Have you thought about using some sort of wing? whether it's an aftermarket wing like the APR GTC-300 or the stock. The added downforce outweighs the 11 lbs you save, or at least to me it does.

Undecisive

Yeah women don't want to be pushed to the side for an object. Now if you spend say 1000 on parts, she will get angry, if you spend 1500, 1k on parts and 500 on her... then shes ok with it. It's a give take kind of relationship. Just play it smart the first year because that sets it all up.

icudruln

Well life has it's downfalls and this time just happens to be one of them, just remember for the first year of marriage to let the car stuff stay on the back burner. After that it's kosher.

Also, If you do end up using the car for a Time Attack / HPDE style build, Have you thought about using some sort of wing? whether it's an aftermarket wing like the APR GTC-300 or the stock. The added downforce outweighs the 11 lbs you save, or at least to me it does.

Yes sir, that's the plan! :) I've been doing plenty of research on build materials of different companie's wings, due in large part to seeing the APR wing fail on Element Tuning's time attack STi at 160+ mph. Weight savings is great for now, and I love the wingless look, but when the car has the balls behind it, it'll look like a mini blue airplane. :D

icudruln

Reading this first portion I can relate to personally. This is great advice for anyone haha. This month is the 6 year marker for us and still to this day I have this hurdle while carrying and distributing products all over the world I still get hassled lol! It's a dollar for dollar fund and needless to say my wife has numerous sets of shoes and purses and jewelry.

Yeah women don't want to be pushed to the side for an object. Now if you spend say 1000 on parts, she will get angry, if you spend 1500, 1k on parts and 500 on her... then shes ok with it. It's a give take kind of relationship. Just play it smart the first year because that sets it all up.

Hahahahaha thanks for the advice guys. The STi fund is starting to come along.

Last edited:

icudruln

It looks like I'll be ordering the T1 Race Development Top Feed Fuel Rail Conversion and ID 1000's here shortly. :) I won't be in any rush to get installing since winter is right around the corner :lol:

icudruln

So, I just picked up a new daily as a sort of Christmas present to myself. I wanted something reliable before I worry about fixing the STi. 2002 Honda Accord EX V6, fully loaded, aftermarket deck and speakers. It's one hell of an upgrade over a 1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD with bad rings. :lol:

Accord 3.0L VTEC.jpgAccord EX V6.jpg

After getting out of a bunch of debt, I can now honestly say I can start focusing on the STi. Hopefully 2012 brings good things to the fun car! Extra money, tax returns, and my birthday are all around the corner!

- T1R Top Feed Fuel Rails w/ ID 1000's
- Deatchwerks 300lph Fuel Pump
- Fuel Labs Fuel Pressure Regulator
- Misc Fuel Lines
- NGK One Step Colder Plugs
- DBA Rotors w/ Project Mu Pads
- Tune

That's the goal by Mid-Late February, not including installing the misc bushings, and front sway bar waiting to be installed.

Last edited: