The Batmobile_Engage Member Journal

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Awesome, thank you so much George!!!

I will get working on that as soon as I can. Probably will take the front end off the car this coming weekend unless I can get a little bit done in the evenings after work.

If I had to guess, I'd assume I must be leaking from a coupler in my intercooler piping.

I wonder what the best way is to determine exactly where it's coming from. Any tricks of the trade? If I had my own dyno, it'd be much easier.

I also wonder if I should just go ahead and order some brand new silicone couplers and replace them all.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The best way I know of is to perform a boost leak test. Essentially pressurize the system with compressed air to about 10 or more PSI and listen for air. There is a thread on how to make your own boost leak tester and how to use it. I would have to search for it though.

So what you would do is remove the air intake and replace it with the boost leak tester and then clamp off any hose that comes off of the turbo inlet plenum and then pressurize the system.

Now that I think about it I remember you saying you have a blow through MAF so the leak must be after that. :tup:

Awesome, thank you so much George!!!

I will get working on that as soon as I can. Probably will take the front end off the car this coming weekend unless I can get a little bit done in the evenings after work.

If I had to guess, I'd assume I must be leaking from a coupler in my intercooler piping.

I wonder what the best way is to determine exactly where it's coming from. Any tricks of the trade? If I had my own dyno, it'd be much easier.

I also wonder if I should just go ahead and order some brand new silicone couplers and replace them all.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
The best way I know of is to perform a boost leak test. Essentially pressurize the system with compressed air to about 10 or more PSI and listen for air. There is a thread on how to make your own boost leak tester and how to use it. I would have to search for it though.

So what you would do is remove the air intake and replace it with the boost leak tester and then clamp off any hose that comes off of the turbo inlet plenum and then pressurize the system.

Now that I think about it I remember you saying you have a blow through MAF so the leak must be after that. :tup:
You are correct, I do have a blow-through MAF configuration.

The leak MUST be after the MAF then, eh? Well, that definitely narrows it down. That's kind of nice to hear, because now I don't have to struggle with removing the front end, which is an unbelievable pain in the ass, due to my somewhat elaborate splitter and skid plate installation.

I find this a little strange though, because the couplers that are now in question are torqued down tight. Maybe I have a tear or hole in one of them that you can't see until the system becomes pressurized, or maybe it's on the underside of the throttle body. I will also check my MAF housing and methanol feed line bung.

Oh man, this is great. I really, really, really appreciate this. You probably just said me a lot of time and money! :tup:

If I didn't have to be at work in 6 hours, I'd be out in the garage right now!

Last edited:

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
[MENTION=1]IGOTASTi[/MENTION] Ryan and i had a 2 hour conversation on the phone Saturday night about this problem. alcohol may have been involved throughout the convo and we got off topic quite a bit lol

very entertaining tho i must say

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Oh boy on that conversation, lol.

?Join us as Lifetime Platinum Member today!?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Holy crap am I ever demotivated today. I mean...I guess I am motivated, just not to be at work. I just keep thinking about the Batmobile, wondering if she's thinking about me too. :lol: I'm tempted to take the rest of the day off and go track down that boost leak.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ryan, if you need a boost leak tester, let me know. I can send you mine to use for the time being. 1-2 days with USPS priority. Also, replace all your couplers and lines if they're older. They're cheap and you might as well replace them for pieace of mind.

Everyone else, sit back and learn for future reference! :ty:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I greatly appreciate it, Alin. At this point, let's just see what I can determine over the next few days and then we'll see if I need a boost leak tester. Seeing how the leak should be after the MAF, there are very, very few places it could be leaking from (considering my blow-through MAF configuration).

I can't seem to find a local shop that has couplers in stock, so I will need to order a couple of them. In the meantime, I will see if I can identify the source of the leak.

I'll be heading outside soon to get to work.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
So I removed the last charge pipe before the throttle body. Boy is that a stubborn pain in the ass. The coupler seems to be just fine. I have kneaded it relentlessly in hopes of exposing a crack or pin hole. No dice. It looks to be okay. That's where I expected to find the leak.

I also removed my methanol feed line, wrapped the threads in telfon thread-sealing tape and will put it back in later. I can't imagine that if it was leaking, that it would leak enough to be noticeable to the driver or even in a log. But, gotta cover that base.
[MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=5942]Real Auto Dynamics[/MENTION] could my MAF housing be leaking? I kind of doubt that's the problem, but just have to maintain my sanity by inquiring.

As you can see in the pics, my MAF is only a couple feet upstream of the throttle body. So there's only 3 places from MAF to throttle body that I could have a leak: MAF housing, Methanol Feed Port, Throttle Body-to-Charge Pipe Coupler.

I suppose there is somewhere on the intake manifold that could be leaking. I pray that's not the case, because that is getting beyond my experience/knowledge level.

061bda4013692bdc10f7165292c1d9c9.jpg

c0156faec371dad03a5aaf077d61c2d8.jpg

Meth feed line

9d666047b27b3163bfa1cd66b4379bb3.jpg

Pointing to my MAF housing

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Well, I cleaned the coupler and the mating surfaces extensively, sealed up the threads on the meth line and took it for a drive.

No dice. I mean...I feel like it might be "better" but not fixed. Instead of the event occuring at 10 psi, now it's maybe 12-13 psi. But I don't know.

The t-bolt clamps on the throttle body coupler and tightened down so hard that another half turn might have snapped them in half. I'm afraid the MAF to throttle body area is not the problem.

Where are some other places beyond the throttle body that I might be loosing boost?

If I can't figure this out by the end of this weekend, I might end up taking it to a shop and putting it on the dyno so we can load it up and look around under the hood.

Unless one of you crazy bastards want to lay on top of my motor with the hood off and look/listen while I get into boost...

...but I doubt that.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=3416]WRB_STi[/MENTION] is crazy enough to do it! :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Funny you mention that... I was just texting him. He has a boost leak tester. I wonder if I can bribe him with beer.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Tomorrow I'm going to go to the hardware store and get new hardware for my MAF. Replace the old screws I have in there and lay a thin bead of gasket maker around the edge. It might not help this issue, but I'm running low on ideas after tonight.